You're My Lost and Found

You're My Lost and Found

I was sitting inside the restaurant in my grey cowl-neck dress and black boots. I sighed and waited for Nick to come and arrive for our date.
I’ve been waiting in the same spot for about an hour and a half long and Nick still hadn’t shown up.
I sighed and looked out the window. Suddenly, a man approached me. It was the waiter. “Excuse me, miss, we are about to lock up. Are you sure he isn’t coming?”

“I’ll give him a few more minutes,” I said. “Please.” The waiter gave me a small smile and nodded.
I was beginning to think that Nick had forgotten all about me and our date. He was the one who set everything. He was the one who planned everything. And he decided to back down like this?
I looked down to the ground and sighed.

Later, the waiter came up to me once again. He gave me an expectant look. I slowly stood up. I handed him a five-dollar bill of appreciation, for attending to me. “Thank you,” I said as I walked out the door.
He held the door out for me. “Your welcome, miss. Please, come again.” He smiled.
I walked down the street and clutched my purse close. I passed Starbucks and saw a couple outside, talking and laughing through their conversation. I imagined myself there with Nick doing the same thing.
It broke my heart.
Nick had stood me up, and there was no turning back to change it.

I walked down a block when the headlights of a car blinded my eyes. I stopped dead in my tracks when a familiar figure came out of the car door. “Shoot,” I mumbled.
Nick walked closer to me. I looked away and avoided him. I dodged him and started walking faster down.
“Hailey, wait. Stop. Just please, listen to what I have to say,” Nick tried to explain.
“Why?” I shrieked and turned around to face him so he could see the anger and rage building up inside of me. “Why should I? So that you can ask me out again, leave me out there and not appear? I was waiting for an hour and a half, Nick! I felt so embarrassed.
“I swear, I could feel the eyes of the people on me when they spotted me sitting there at a table, alone, without anyone to talk to. Do you know how that feels like? Or are you too selfish to even imagine? Think a little. You don’t care about how other people will feel. You don’t care at all. But you know what, now, I don’t even care.”
Nick sighed and took a step closer to me. He noticed how infuriated I was. He could see me breathing heavily at how much I wanted to just be alone. But he pushed all those observations aside. “Hailey…”
I took no chances, lifted my hand up, and slapped Nick across the face. He gave me a surprised look. Even I was surprised. I never intended to do such a thing, but my emotions were taking over me.
Nick touched his cheek self-consciously. It turned so red that I wished I never had done that. I felt guilt rise through my body. A tear escaped from my eye as a sob came out of my mouth. I turned around and continued my walk.
I had no choice but to leave Nick there to let all the grief and guilt to build up in him. Maybe next time, he would think before he does anything so stupid like that.

---

It’s been about a week since the incident happened. In school, Nick would try to catch up with me and explain to me again what happened. I didn’t want to listen. It was probably just another dumb excuse.
One day, the school’s quarterback came up to me and asked me out on Saturday night. I agreed and I didn’t know why. I never took any interest in him, and I heard rumors that he was a jerk. But, I was desperate for something—anything, to help me get my mind off of Nick.

He was all I could think about through the week. I never got him off my mind. I started to feel guilty about what I did.
Just then, Nick walked up to me in the hallway. I was stuffing my books into my locker when he approached me.
“I cannot believe you agreed to Jason asking you out,” he muttered. “We haven’t even had an official break up yet. We’re still together, if you don’t remember.”
“Oh,” I said. “Well then, I’m sorry. I forgot… It’s over. We’re over. I’m breaking up with you. There, official enough for you?” I slammed my locker door shut as Nick stared at me. I walked away straight to Chemistry class.

---

It’s Saturday and I’m getting ready for my date with Jason. He offered to take me to the movies. So, I grabbed a black tank top, denim mini skirt, and white jacket. I put on my boots and grabbed my white bag from my desk. I applied my make-up and did my hair.

I took a final look at myself in the mirror before I walked out the door and headed to the Cineplex.
The line was pretty long, and I hoped that Jason had already bought the tickets. I waited by one of the benches for Jason to come.

That was when it occurred to me that I was having de ja vu. Yes, it was happening all over again. I waited and waited for Jason to come, but he didn’t. I checked my watch. He was approximately two hours late. I gave up and got up and walked back home.

That’s when I gave up on everything. I gave up on myself, on dating, and on love. No one loved me enough to have a proper date with me.
It was a miserable and calm walk. I had so many thoughts inside of me, but I was too down right depressed to even think.

Then, my life just continued to become worse. It rained. The rain drops started pouring down on me. My hair was soaked and my make-up was ruined. My mascara started to fade away with the water. I wiped away the mascara with a piece of tissue. That was the only thing I was lucky with. I still looked good—despite my soaked hair.
Thunder started sounding and lightning appeared in the sky. I thought about Nick right then and there. I remembered the time when we were little; it was raining and the thunder sounded through the house. I screamed and ran to Nick. He held me so closely to him that I felt safe under his arms. I felt protected and cared for. He was the only one I felt that close to.

I landed right on the Jonas’ street. It was as if my feet knew exactly where to take me. I sighed and knocked on the door quietly.
The door opened, and there stood Nick, in a red shirt, black skinny jeans, and black Converse. He stared at me, dumbfounded. I looked down. I was lost in words. I was so drowned in guilt and sadness that I couldn’t even look him in the eye.
“I’m sorry,” I muttered under my breath. “Nick, I’m sorry. I never wanted this to happen. I’m sorry for all I’ve done. You were the one I really wanted to be with. Not Jason. You. And I’m sorry for not realizing that before. I’m sorry for being so mean to you. I never meant to hurt you, or even slap you for that matter. I never wanted any of this to happen.”
Nick took me in his arms. He didn’t care if I was soaking wet. He just held me tightly. I cried into Nick’s chest as he laced his arms around my waist.
“Nick, I’m sorry.”

Nick assured me everything was going to be fine got me to stop crying. “Hailey, you have nothing to be sorry about. But,” he said, releasing me. “Why don’t we talk inside, and get you dried off first?”
I giggled. Nick took my hand as we walked inside. Nick handed me a towel as I dried myself off. He even took out a cup and poured out some hot chocolate. He handed it to me as we sat down on the couch.
“What happened with Jason?” Nick asked.
“He stood me up.” I didn’t look him in the eye. I took the cup and sipped slowly. The heat of the drink soothed my whole body. I had been freezing out in the rain.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” Nick said. “Look, Hailey. About what happened before, with us, I just need to explain. I never intended to do that to you. That wasn’t the plan. We had to do a music video for our new single before the date. We were running late. I told the director I needed to leave immediately, but we needed to finish the last scene. I felt so bad when I was in the car and noticed the restaurant empty. You weren’t there.
When you told me how you felt, I felt your anger. I understood that you didn’t want to look at me, and I’m very sorry for disrespecting you. I’m sorry for disappointing you.” He looked into my eyes. “You can hate me if you want to, but, please, understand the truth. This is the truth.”
Nick’s eyes held such sincerity in them that I couldn’t do anything but forgive him. If only I had known the truth to Nick’s excuse before I had done or said anything stupid. Now, I feel stupid.
“I forgive you,” I said, with a smile.
Nick smiled back his irresistible smile and hugged me. When we both released each other, Nick stopped and gave me a look I’ve never seen him give me before.
I looked into his eyes as his bore into mine. Nick leaned closer to me as his lips landed on mine. I kissed him back as we both continued to deepen it.

I wished that the moment lasted forever. I placed my hands into Nick’s curly hair. Nick put one hand on my waist and another on my neck. I closed my eyes and parted my lips from Nick’s.
“I love you,” I said, and hugged Nick.
”I love you too,” Nick replied. “Always have and always will.” Suddenly, Nick started chuckling quietly.
“What’s so funny?” I asked, cuddling up next to him. He put his arm around me.
“Nothing. It’s just, at first, I lost you. And it was my fault. Next thing I know, I find you. You’re my lost and found, Hailey.” I smiled at his last statement and closed my eyes to savor the moment. I was Nick’s lost and found, and proud of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was another of my Nick Jonas one-shots! :][: I hope you guys liked it. Please, please rate, comment, and subscribe! I'd really appreciate all your support. After this, I'm going to be starting my Joe Jonas story! (this time, not a one-shot! ;D)

Thank you all so much and God Bless! :][:
-celllll.