Gray Blood

Gray Blood 24 Uncle

David's POV
One of the nurses came up to us crouched in the corner. "Kids I'm awfully sorry, but Evelyn is not going to make it. We're about to give her a shot so her last moment won't be painful but if you want to say your good byes, say them now." The nurses stood by the door, one holding a needle. We walked up to her and I heard her mutter,
"Brudas..." What the hell does.....
"Raven, does Evie have any family here?"
Raven thought.
"She has two younger brothers. Alex and Jordan."
"Lets bring them here."
"I don't think thats such a good idea David."
"I do. Its what Evie wants."
*****
The boys look a lot like their sister does. The oldest one Alex-13, was holding Evie's hand while Jordan-9, was holding on to Alex’s leg. I watched the needle go into her neck and the liquid slowly pour into her vein.
Her hand trembled slightly before going limp. Alex dropped the hand and began sobbing while Jordan looked around confused.
"What happened to Evie?"
Alex pushed Jordan off of him and ran away, crashing into the nurses and begging them to let him leave.
They escorted him out and I heard Alex screaming 'she's dead!' Jordan looked over at Raven and trembled.
"Is Evie ok?” Raven grabbed her stomach and ran out of the room, making a retching noise.
Jordan looked at me with glassy eyes.
"Listen kid..." I'm not very good at these kinds of talks. No wonder I'm not a father.
"Get out of here kid. Go back to your room." I turned around and walked out but he grabbed my hand.
"Please don't make me go back there alone! Don't leave!"
"Kid-"
"Jordan."
"Huh?"
"My name is Jordan. Don't call me kid."
"Whatever." I walked away but this time, Jordan grabbed my leg and wrapped himself around it but only made it up to my knee because that was as high as he could reach.
"Can I go with you?"
"With me?"
"To your group thing. Alex left and I don't want to go back yet. Can I go with you? Please?" Do I look like I want some kid on my trail?
"Don't ask me. Ask the guard over there."
"Okay." The kid ran, waited for the guard to finish talking, and ran back to me.
"He said it was okay."
"WHAT!?!"
"But only for today." He informed me seriously, as if I didn’t know. He grabbed my hand and began dragging me to the exit. I let out a breath of air.
"Are you mad at me...um.."
"David."
"That's my uncle's name!" Do all kids have chronic ADD or something?
"Great! Just call me uncle David."
"Okay!"
"No wait, I was being sarcastic-"
"Uncle David, where'd your friend go?"
"Who knows." Who cares.
"Is your group nice?"
"If my group was nice, then the devil would be god."
"What does that mean?"
"I'll tell you when your older."
"You know my dad used to tell me that all the time. He says I'm to young to know about stuff that adult talk about but I'm a lot older now and I think I should know all those things..." There's a point where I can be a pretty good listener and listen people talk for hours.
This kid has been talking for less than a minute and already, I'm going nuts. I have nothing against kids, I'm just not in the mood to hear kids talk about what they can and can't hear.
Then again, if I still had my baby girl, I'd probably have to deal with that in a few years, no matter what mood I'm in. God I miss her so much.
She doesn't even know who I am and I already love her more than anything in this world. I have to find her. One day.
The guard snapped his fingers to grab my attention and he opened the door to my group session. Jordan was silent now and hid behind me. I walked forward but Jordan grabbed my pants.
"Uncle David, I'm scared."
"I thought you were excited," I answered dully. I grabbed his hand but he tried to pull his hand out of mine.
"Would it make you feel better if..." what am I doing? "...I carried you in?" Thats the right thing to do for a scared little boy. I think.
Jordan never answered; he just held his arms out to me and I picked him up in one arm.
When I walked in, I saw the guy that had accused me of beating up Evie, standing in the center of the room.
Everyone turned to look at us while the psychiatrist walked over to me. Jordan hid his face in my shirt and all the girls 'awwd.'
"David, what a pleasure that your back. May I ask who this is?"
"This is Jordan, Evie's little bro-"
"Ah! I see what you mean!" He interrupted. His face turned grim and all I could think was 'he knows.'
I walked away to sit down and sat in my corner with a frightened Jordan curled around me.
I pet his back soothingly, trying to relax him.
"See, that wasn't so bad. The girls already love you."
"Really?"
"Yup." He made a face.
"Girls have cooties."
"You wanna hear an adult secret now?"
His eyes enlarged with shock.
"Yeah!" I leaned in for dramatic effect.
"Girls don't have cooties."
"Whoa." I smiled at his surprised face and looked at the guy who was talking.
"I don't really know what else to say then."
"Thats alright Paul. You can go sit down. Next we have...Kelly."
A girl got up.
"So Kelly. Tell us something you find or used to find enjoyable."
"I do miss spending my Saturdays with my boyfriend Rick. God he was fine. He was so-" I could tell where she was going with this. I put my hands on Jordan's ears. "-fucking hot and his jun-"
"Thank you Kelly. Please sit down. Now lets have Warren come up here please."
Warren stood up and kissed Sacha's hand. Because of Jordan, I hadn't seen Sacha sitting with Warren before. I felt my hands being pulled at.
"Jordan, what are you doing with my hands?"
"I'm untangling them so you won't be mad."
"Oh...I didn't realize that my hands were clenched. Er...thanks Jordan." He smiled and we both looked at Warren.
"Hmm...what I find most enjoyable right now, is being with my girlfriend Sacha." He looked right at me and smiled.
"Thanks David."
"Warren, don't be like that." Everyone looked at Sacha and I could almost imagine her face turning bright red.
"Whatever you say baby. I'm done." He picked Sacha up and sat her on his lap and showed me the finger while Sacha was looking away. My heart twisted and I felt tired all of a sudden.
"Uncle David. is his finger broken?"
"No but his brain is." And so is my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Evie died. T-T And her little brothers are left alone. something really important that i like was that Jordan looked up to David as a fatherly figure because everyone else left him alone. because of the way david treated jordan and vice versa, it created a special bond between them. i kinda did this for david to give him a taste of parenthood (even though he is called uncle david) because you see how much he misses his baby girl so now he takes care of Jordan for a day and that makes him a bit happier.
*read, rate, subscribe, enjoy! :D