Save the Last Dance

Wedding Vows

We had finally done it. We finally took the biggest step of our lives. On the afternoon of Saturday, April 23, 2005, two people because one as we said our ‘I dos’.

People were rushing everywhere all over the church. Hanging flowers on the ends of pews, looking everywhere for lost bowties and earrings, checking on caterers, calling the band; anything to keep themselves busy before the guests started arriving.

We were in love, and everyone knew it. They told us they could see it every time we looked at each other. They were all happy for us, saying we deserved each other and that we were soul mates.

The guests started arriving in small groups. Family and friends came from all over the country. Cousins, aunts, and uncles came flooding through the open doors of the pale white church, immediately being seated by either Brendon or Spencer, both wearing fitted tuxes.

They were right, but not everyone felt that way. Apparently we had invited a two faced traitor to our wedding. They were against what we were doing, but they never said a word.

Our wedding wasn’t the same as most you’ve seen on T.V. It wasn’t just the fact that it was two guys, but it was the music, the decorations, the apparel, that made it all different. Brent and I, well we kind of figured, you only get married once in your life if you do it right. We might as well have some fun with it. Instead of the slow music to walk down the aisle to, we had techno playing. Instead of the usual black and white suits, the white roses, and everybody wearing white clothes that would just get stained from the beef stew we were having at the reception anyways; Brent and I were both wearing blood red suits. The church and pulpit was decorated with multi-colored flowers of different varieties. The guests were all in casual/ dressy clothes. Surely you know what I mean; nice jeans, clean t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Everything clashed with everything else and Brent and I loved it.

To them, gay marriage was a sin and shouldn’t be allowed in God’s house,

“We are gathered here today, in the house of the Lord to bring these two fine men together in holy matrimony.”

In the United States,

“If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together- let them speak now or forever hold their peace.”

No one said a word.

The minister cleared his throat and continued.

“Do you Brent Matthew Wilson take George Ryan Ross the Third to be your husband – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon him your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him as long as you both shall live?”

Brent smiled at me and I squeezed his hand in return.

“I do.”

The minister then turned to me and I got the sick feeling in my stomach again. The same one that had been bugging me all week, but I felt Brent squeeze my hand gently and he smiled at me again and the sick feeling went away.


or anywhere else in the world.

“Do you George Ryan Ross the Third take Brent Matthew Wilson to be your husband – to live together after God’s ordinance – in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, in sadness and in joy, to cherish and continually bestow upon him your heart’s deepest devotion, forsaking all others, keep yourself only unto him as long as you both shall live?”

Without hesitation, I replied with my own “I do.”

“What token of your love do you have to offer?”

Brent’s little cousin, Mason stepped forward and held up the pillow with the rings on it, just the way we rehearsed.

“Would you place the rings in my hand.”

Brent and I each picked up our and put them into the outstretched hand of the minister.

“May these rings be blessed as the symbol of this affectionate unity. These two lives are now joined in one unbroken circle. Wherever they go – may they always return to one another. May these two find in each other the love for which all people yearn. May they grow in understanding and in compassion. May the home, which they establish together, be such a place that many will find there, a friend. May these rings on their fingers symbolize the touch of the spirit of love in their hearts.”

The minister put my ring in Brent’s hand and continued with the sermon.
“Brent, in placing this ring on Ryan’s finger, repeat after me: Ryan, you are now consecrated to me as my husband from this day forward and I give you this ring as the pledge of my love and as the symbol of our unity and with this ring, I thee wed.”

Brent repeated it perfectly as he slipped the silver band over my knuckle to fall perfectly in place on my finger.

The minister pressed Brent’s ring into my hand, letting me know it was my turn.

“Ryan, in placing this ring on Brent’s finger, repeat after me: Ryan, you are now consecrated to me as my husband from this day forward and I give you this ring as the pledge of my love and as the symbol of our unity and with this ring, I thee wed.”

I did as told and repeated the words.

“May you always share with each other the gifts of love- be one in heart and in mind- may you always create a home together that puts in hearts- love- generosity and kindness.

In as much as Brent and Ryan have consented together in marriage before this company of friends and family and have pledged their faith – and declared their unity by giving and receiving a ring – are now joined.

You have pronounced yourselves married but remember to always be each other’s best friend.

What – therefore – God has joined together – let no man put asunder.

And so, by the power vested in me by the State of Nevada and Almighty God, I now pronounce you married – and may your days be good and long upon the earth.

You may now kiss the groom.”

People all around us stood up and applauded as our lips connected in a long, toungless kiss. The techno began playing again as we turned and walked back up the aisle, followed by Brendon and Spencer, Mason and my cousin, Breezy, who was the flower girl. The boring part of the wedding was over. It was time to go to the reception hall and party!


They later made their point perfectly clear.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually kinda like this so please, be brutal. This is only a two-shot so it's almost over.