Save the Last Dance

The Festivities Come to A Brutal End

Everyone was enjoying the reception. They relished in the beef stew, chicken pot pie, anything that happened to be at the buffet table. The dancing was hilarious as each person danced the old, funky dances such as the mashed potato, the funky chicken, or the twist. The younger kids had started a game of dance-off add-on that some of the adults were getting in on too. Brent and I watched from the side wall as the people around us were having fun.

Nobody knew that there was a conspirator among us though. He was waiting for the right moment to make his opinions on gay marriage known to the entire congregation.

“Alright everybody it’s time for the dollar dance. Just put a dollar into the jar up here and join Brent and Ryan on the dance floor”, Brendon announced from the DJ booth.

Brent and I laughed as we made our way to the middle of the floor. This must have all been Brendon and Spencer’s idea because we had heard nothing about it. The crowd allowed us a few minutes to ourselves before they began to crowd around us, having a slow dance of their own.


We were both lost in the moment. He had his arms around my waist and my head was resting on his shoulder. Nobody noticed when a little red laser pointed itself at Brent’s back.

Brent and I were enjoying ourselves so much that we both started to forget everyone was there. The music had long since faded from our ears and our surroundings had melted from sight. The next thing I knew, there was a loud bang that echoed throughout the reception hall. Brent suddenly fell limp in my arms. People all around us were screaming and running around, trying to avoid being the next person to get shot.

Little did they know though, the assassin had already left.

I eased Brent down to the floor and dropped to my knees next to him. I grabbed his hand and held it to my chest as I used the other to stroke his hair out of his face. His breath was already starting to get shaky and he started coughing up blood as soon as his back hit the floor. He managed to get one unstable breath in his lungs to say only two last sentences.

“I love you so much, Ryan Ross. Save the last dance for me.”

I was sobbing so hard I could barely breath myself. The love of my life was dying before my very eyes and on our wedding day of all days.

“I love you too, Brent. I love you too.”

His hand fell limp in my own as he slowly drifted out of consciousness. The life immediately left his face as his eyes closed and the color started to drain from his cheeks. I fell upon his chest, bawling into his shirt.


Whoever it was, he made his opinions crystal clear.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all folks. I absolutely love this story. It turned out exactly the way I wanted and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.