Sequel: Gone

Move

Brotherly Love

Image
Riley paid for the bill and we left the Greenwood Ballroom. I still could not believe Riley named it after me. In his car, I felt even more relieved. We were finally alone.

"So, are you certain you have changed your mind about wanting it to be a normal dinner?" Riley asked me as he steered his Mustang. I thought twice before I answered. If it were normal he wouldn't smell so good, he wouldn't ordered my meal before I even knew what I wanted, he wouldn't have named the ballroom after me, and I'm almost positive we wouldn't have danced like that.

"I'm sure." I said with a grin. Riley turned his head to me and flashed his white teeth.

"Did you want to know anything more before I brought you home?" Riley said. I nodded. "Go ahead."

I shrugged and hesitated. "Yesterday, you said you had to go meet your brother." Riley nodded. "Tell me more about him."

"Alright." Riley said in his beautiful voice. "He's two years older than me. He..." He hesitated and looked at me. "His name is Edward."

"Edward?" I asked thinking of the Cullen story. He nodded and smiled. Riley must have read my thoughts.

"But, he doesn't really have a career. He is kind of a chick magnet though." He said scrunching his nose. I giggled. I couldn't believe that their were any other people that looked like us.

"We are kind of close to each other." He continued. "Although, one time he just disappeared and wouldn't talk to me after he got back."

My head started throbbing. I pushed my hand against it. "Ow." I mumbled.

Riley moved over the seat to me. "Do you want me to heal it?"

I pushed my hand against my head harder. "I can heal myself, remember?" The truth was, I didn't know if I could heal this splitting migraine. Riley moved back over to his seat and stared at me in worry.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

I closed my eyes. "Yes. I just need to sleep."

Riley shrugged. "Your almost home." He was still looking at me with his protective glare.

I looked out the window as he turned the car. We were already in my driveway. Riley got out of the car and walked over to let me out. I slammed my head against the seat. Why did I have to get a migraine now? I haven't had one since I had my abilities.

Riley opened my door and picked me up in his arms. He must have seen the worry on my face. "Don't worry. They are gone. Bria's fine."

I wrapped my arms around his neck. It felt awkward as he carried me into my house and up the stairs. I dug my nose into his neck and kept inhaling the rich aroma. I heard a door open and realized it was my bedroom. I lifted my head and released my grasp. My left hand rested on his chest.

Riley laid me on my bed. I looked up at him. His face was beautiful but, he wasn't smiling. "You don't have to go." I said.

He grinned. "I don't want to." I smiled too. "But, I have to." He bent over to me and I stroked his bronze hair. His mouth went to my ear. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Riley lifted his self away from me and walked over to my doorway."Good night, Alyssa."

"Good night and thank you, Riley." I said. He smiled at me. Riley gracefully walked out of the doorway and gently closed the door. I heard his light footsteps go down the stairs slowly and out the door. The hum of his Mustang was easy to hear.

I sighed and closed my eyes. The migraine was still there. I fell asleep thinking of how perfect Riley was. He told me I was that perfect too.

The nightmare was unbearable. It was the same one I had before. Riley stood in front of me unsmiling. Diane was still off to the side laughing to herself. Then, Diane leaped over to Riley and attacked him. She looked like an animal, just like Riley and me. Riley's face was disappearing in the fight. I screamed. I woke up.

I was sweating and breathing heavily. I looked at the clock on my nightstand. It was 8:35. I calmed myself down and got out of bed. I was still in my red dress. My hair was all tangled and ratted.

I hopped into the shower and got dressed in my turquoise v-neck sweater and jeans. When I got in my red Porsche Carrera, I thought about what Riley said about his brother. He disappeared? How odd. Why would he leave?

The migraine I just got rid of came back. "Ow!" I said pushing my hand back against my head. I struggled trying to heal it. I forced my body to heal it. It hurt so badly. My face twisted in agony. I used all of my power to make it stop. I made it stop after I almost fainted.

I stared at the road with shock. I was breathing heavily. "Whoa." I said. For the rest of the ride to work, I thought about why I was getting migraines. I wasn't supposed to have any kind of illness with these powers.

I parked my Porsche in front of the GWOOD building. My head thumped against the seat. I lifted my head to look for Riley's Mustang. It was sitting two cars in front of me.

I pulled myself out of the car and into the building. When I got to my office, all of my friends were there. They all smiled at me. I slumped into my seat and dropped my purse next to me. I frowned and closed my eyes. They all stopped smiling.

"Hi, Bria." I said to her. She looked more enthusiastic than I did.

"What's wrong?" Ann asked.

I rubbed my head. "I keep having these weird migraines."

"You? You have a migraine?" Bria said. "You never get anything like that."

"I know." I said with my eyes still closed.

They all smiled at me. I knew why. "How was it?" Diane asked.

I shrugged. "It was better than I expected." I grinned a little. I figured Riley would have heard that from his cubicle. I opened my eyes and leaned forward. "Did you know he named that new ballroom after me?"

They all shot up from their seats and leaned closer to my desk. "Really?" Bria asked. I nodded and leaned my head back with a smile on my face. My lids closed.

"We have to go. See you later!" Ann said. I nodded. As soon as they left I heard footsteps coming towards my door. The door creaked open.

"Excuse me Miss." I opened an eye. There was Riley in another suit.

"Hi, again." I said. I opened my other eye and sat up from the chair. "What's up?"

He shook his head. "Not much. I just don't have anything to do." Riley said sitting down in the chair across from my desk.

"You can leave if you want to." I told him.

He shook his head again. "I actually wanted to talk to you about my brother."

"Oh, well go ahead."

Riley shrugged. "Edward doesn't exactly like," He paused, "people."

"If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly a human." I said.

"That's not what I mean." He said seriously. "My brother likes to be left alone. Although, I told him about you and he said he liked the way you thought."

I became serious. "You didn't tell him about the powers, I hope."

He smirked. "If I told him about you, I'd have to tell him about me too." I nodded. Of course Riley would be the only man I knew that thought before he acted.

"Well, anything else?" I asked. Riley shook his head. His perfectly cropped hair stood still. He stood up.

"I better get going. I'll see you later." He said with a smile.

"Bye." I said smoothly.

I still didn't quite understand why Edward acts so strangely. He doesn't like people? He ran away? Was Riley not as confused as I was? It all came rushing to me. The migraine came back. This time, it was worse.

I fell to the floor writhing in pain. All of my senses and power left my body. I couldn't see or hear anything. I just knew I was screaming. Someone's hand was touching my face. I couldn't see who it was. The pain made me faint.

When I woke up, Riley's face was close to mine and he looked worried and afraid. I have never seen Riley so scared.

"What happened?" I mumbled.

"You were screaming so, I rushed in and healed you." he said breathlessly. No one else was in the room. I was laying next to my chair. He was crouched over me.

I looked in his eyes. That's when I realized why I was getting the migraines. It wasn't because of Riley. It was because of the man named, Edward.