Sequel: Gone

Move

Complicated Relief

Image
The next morning I woke up still amazed about what the day before held. I was relieved that Riley was like me but, he was my best guy friend. It was really awkward. Now, I wouldn't be able to look at him the same anymore. He was more than a friend now. I just didn't know what the more was.

I drove to the coffee shop wanting to talk to my friends. I didn't know what I'd tell them but, at least it would get my mind off of Riley.

My thigh began vibrating and I realized my phone was ringing. I shoved my hand into my pea coat pocket and flipped my cell phone open.

"Hello?" I asked not looking at who it was.

"Hello." Riley's soft voice said.

"Oh hi. I was just on my way..." I said as Riley finished my sentence.

"On your way to the coffee house to find your friends. And you are going to get a french vanilla iced coffee." He said. I smiled. I could feel his smile through the phone. "I have been listening to your thoughts before I showed you my power. Then again, I still can't get to everything. Only the little things."

I sighed. He didn't know everything. "You know spying on a woman isn't a good way to impress her."

"I don't consider it spying." He said. "I consider it knowing little details about your life without even making contact with you."

I smiled. "Alright. I know you didn't call to talk about my thoughts."

"You're right." He said in his cool voice. I could smell his skin through the phone. "I was hoping we'd do that at dinner."

My jaw dropped. Dinner? "And I suppose you already know the answer." I said.

"The truth is I can't read minds through the phone. I have to be within a mile range." He said. Where was he then? "But, I do know the answer."

I closed my mouth and smiled. "Well, then."

"I'll pick you up at 7:30." He said as he laughed lightly. "See you later."

"I hope you mean in a car." I said. He laughed a soft laugh.

"Of course." He said.

"Bye, Riley." I said before I hung up.

Riley was taking me to dinner. I hoped that he didn't know my favorite restaurant and try to take me there to impress me. It probably would impress me though. The Boathouse was a very fancy seafood restaurant. If I knew Riley well enough, he would take me there.

I pulled my car into the coffee house parking lot. I just sat there for a minute to gather my thoughts. I sighed.

My body pushed me out of the car. I shoved my hands into my pockets as the winter snow brushed against my skin.

As I went into the coffee house, I looked at the back booth and it was empty. I hoped I was just early. I wanted to share my thoughts with someone.

I ordered my iced coffee and sat in the back booth by myself. There was an older couple that looked at me and smiled. They must have thought it was weird I came here alone. But, there were other people who sat alone. They might have been here before when I was with my friends and knew that I was lonely.

Minutes went by as I sipped my coffee and waited for my friends. I didn't know where they would be. I got tired of waiting and used my senses to find them.

My ears picked up the noise of sobbing and laughing. I knew that laugh. It was Bria's. I listened harder and noticed she was in the coffee house. Her laughed was muffled and mixed with sadness.

I followed the noise past the front counter to the back of the restaurant. The noise got stronger as I reached a closet door. I flung it open hoping Bria wasn't in it.

I looked inside and found Bria sitting on the ground with Ann and Diane standing above her. Bria's eyes were bloodshot and her skin was pale. I realized she was drunk.

I stared at Ann and Diane for answers. Diane shrugged. "The manager called us and said that our friend was sitting in here clasping onto a coffee ground can. We sort of assumed 'our friend' was Bria."

"Why did you assume? Bria doesn't even drink." I said wondering why she would drink so much.

"I thought she told you." Ann said referring to Bria.

"What?" I said as I creased my forehead.

Ann sighed. "Sam and Bria broke up."

I raised my eyebrows. "They broke up?" They nodded. "But, they were going so strong." I said as I crouched down next to Bria.

"Hey," Ann said defensively, "don't ask me."

I pressed my ear to Bria's arm to listen to what was going on inside. Her blood flow was slow and her heart was beating fast. I lifted my head up.

"We need to get her out of here." I said. They nodded.

"How though?" They asked. I remembered that they didn't know about my abilities. Being with Riley made me forget everything.

"I'll help her get to my car and you can follow me to my house. When we get to my house, we'll figure it out." I said knowing it wasn't going to be as hard as I made it sound.

They nodded and hurried out of the closet. I made sure they left before I went back to Bria.

I put my arms under her and lifted her into my arms without a struggle. I searched around the closet to make sure no one would see me carrying a full grown woman in my arms without hassle. No need to draw attention.

I ran out of the closet and out the back door. Bria's head fell against my arm and I noticed she was asleep.

When I got to my car, I put her in the back and I hurried and started the Viper. I drove the speed limit and looked in the mirror and saw Diane's white Mercedes Benz behind Ann's blue Koenigsegg. I looked at Bria and she was sprawled over the backseat.

Poor thing. Her and Sam were going out for over two years. I wanted to know what happened to cause all of this. If Riley were here, he could just pull it out of her head. But, Bria had to go and get drunk on the best day of my life. I had such a complicated life.

I sped the car up over the speed limit in hopes of getting to my house faster so, I could easily bring Bria inside. The purpose was so that they stayed the speed limit. They didn't have too. Both of their cars were almost as fast as mine. I actually had the same one as Ann except it was black. I liked my Viper since it was fast and it was yellow.

My hands steered the car into my driveway as fast as possible. I rushed out of the car and pulled Bria off of the backseat. I lifted her back into my arms. Her head bobbed against my arm as I rushed inside my house.

I set her on my sofa and put a small garbage can next to her in case she decided to vomit. I didn't feel like cleaning that up.

Ann and Diane came barging in as soon as I sat down.

"You didn't have to speed up like that." Ann said. I nodded agreeing. I really did have too though.

"Is she unconscious?" Diane asked worriedly.

I shook my head. "She fell asleep on our way here. Well, actually before I even got her in the car." The relief swept over their faces.

Riley swept over my mind. I stared at them wondering if Bria was going to wake up before i left.

"I have to go to dinner tonight." I said with my eyes wide. I didn't want to cancel. "Will you please stay here and watch her?" I pleaded.

"It depends." Diane said. Of course she was going to be difficult. "Are you going with Riley?" I shrugged. "I knew it!" She exclaimed.

Ann shoved her teasingly. "Of course you knew it. You are the one that said it!" They started laughing. They stopped when they saw I wasn't laughing with them.

"Of course we will." Ann said. "What are you going to wear?" She asked excitedly.

I shrugged. "Let's have it be a surprise for all of us." We all smiled.

The truth was, I knew exactly what I was going to wear. Something Riley would love and couldn't read off of my mind.