Sequel: Light Years Away
Status: Active. Comment and Subscribe! I update FREQUENTLY

Emerald Eyes

Encounter

You sit down at the little café with your new found friend. You two talk about the common conversation starters, and you begin talking for what seems like forever. You've never met someone that opens up so easily to someone that is practically a stranger. While you find out what a sweet person Adrienne Armstrong is, she asks the one thing you'd rather not talk about:

"So, do have a boyfriend?"

"I guess that's what I would call him," you chuckle.

But he's also your husband, you think to yourself.

The dread-locked woman stares at you with confusion. She obviously has no idea her husband of eight years has a whole second life. You forget about the days you've spent wondering where the man you love has been, and realize this woman is thinking the exact same thing when she looks in those emerald eyes.

She asks you what you mean, if you feel comfortable talking about it.

"It just seems like he's completely forgotten about me. I mean, I know he has so much shit going on in his life, but I just wish I could get a phone call to tell me it's all okay. I understand what he is feeling, but I don't think he realizes how I feel."

You feel so relieved to finally have someone to tell your feelings to. You're thankful that, through this conversation, Adrienne never asks you once what his name is. You know you wouldn't know what to say.

She sighs and looks at you, "I know exactly how you feel, Roxana. My husband, Billie Joe, has been completely busy with the studio time him and the boys have to deal with. I understand that their music is a huge part of their time, since they have a new album coming out and all, but Billie Joe needs to realize he has a wife at home and two kids that miss him very much. Sometimes I think all he cares about is his music."

You tell her that's your exact feeling, minus the child part. You begin to explain to her how you haven't seen or heard from him in three days, and you've convinced yourself he's done with you.

Her brown eyes stare across from you, sympathy filling them. "Oh, dear, don't think like that. Why don't you call him? Maybe he doesn't know if he has enough time to make the phone call," she stops and chuckles to herself. "I really should be listening to my own advice."

You suggest that she should call her husband, just to say hello.

Adrienne shakes her head in protest, I few loose strands of her hair moving with the motion of her head. "I told myself I wouldn't. Billie Joe hasn't been he same man I married ever since a year ago."

You ask what she means. "I just feel like there's someone new in his life. Did you ever have the feeling that you may not be the only girl your boyfriend's in love with, Roxana?"

"You have no idea.." you mumble.

"What was that?" Adrienne asks you, puzzled.

You save yourself from embarrassing yourself, "I do. But I never know how to tell him that. I mean, we're not married, so he could stop loving me at any moment. He tells me he does, but I don't believe it. Your husband loves you, Adrienne. Trust me."

Adrienne begins to look puzzled, "What do you mean?"

You begin to mentally kick yourself.
You're giving away too much information, you think to yourself.

"It's just that: if your husband didn't love you, you wouldn't be together. He's with you for a reason. He loves you. You two were meant for each other. And don't let him get away, because you only fall in love once."

She smiles at you, "Wow, Roxana. I've never had this great of a conversation with someone. Not even my own mother!"

You laugh, "I feel the same about you too!"

Adrienne takes a last sip out of her cup and throws it away. "I'm sorry, but I really have to get going. My son, Joey, is going to be ending school soon and I really must go to pick him up."

You tell her it's perfectly fine and it was nice meeting her.

"Same here, Roxana. I really do hope we can hang out again. Here," she hands you a paper with her number on it, "it's my cell phone. Call me whenever you're around the neighborhood. I live right around here. I really do want to have another day like this with you."

You tell her you'll call her soon and can't wait. You decide it's time to go home and head to your car.

Twenty minutes later you make it home. You drop your keys on the table next to the front door and kick off your shoes. You notice your answering machine is blinking red, indicating you have a message. You push the play button, telling you have one new message.

"Hey, Roxy, it's me. Sorry it's been a few days since I last called. It's been crazy in the studio. Adie just went out for a little bit to go shopping, so I wanted to talk to you in peace without getting disturbed. I guess I'll try to call you later since you aren't home. I miss you. Love you, bye."

You have an uneasy feeling in your stomach. You were going to forget about Billie Joe, and move on; becoming possible friends with the woman those emerald eyes were betraying. Adrienne was too good of a woman to do this to. Especially if you wanted to begin a friendship with her.

But, you love those eyes. And you know that wherever he went, you'd follow, loving him as much as he says he loves you.
♠ ♠ ♠
please leave comments! i love reading opinions!