Sequel: Light Years Away
Status: Active. Comment and Subscribe! I update FREQUENTLY

Emerald Eyes

Goodbye

The car ride over to his old home was tense. You watched as the closer he drove to the destination, the harder his grip was on the steering wheel. His knuckles were beginning to loose all color to them. You wanted to put a hand on his free one not steering, but you didn't want to get him too flustered with so much going on. You decided being quiet was actually the best thing to do in this situation.

You listened as the car's turn signal clicked to turn into the driveway. You took a deep breath, not sure what was just about to happen. You kept your eyes on him the whole ride down. You watched as frustration and confusion filled his face. His eyes brows scrunched up and his eyes were on a fixed position. You turned to see what he was looking at.

A moving truck.

"What the fuck," he breathed while opening the car. Before you would say anything, he was already slamming the car door and charging to the front of the house.

You didn't even realize you were holding your breath the whole way down the driveway. You exhaled and kept your eyes on him. Before he could even knock on the front door, she came out of the house. Even pissed off, she looked as beautiful as ever. You envied her looks completely, wondering how he could ever go from her to plain old you. You cracked your window slightly to hear what was going on.

"What the hell is this shit, Adrienne?" he asked angrily.

She crossed her arms across her chest, "What does it look like, Billie Joe? I'm moving."

He threw his arms in the air, "I can see that! Where? And what about Joey and Jake?"

"To my mother's, and they're coming with me," she said in a monotone voice. Her face has no emotion on it, she looks drained. You looked closer at her. Her hair was messy, like she hasn't tended to it in weeks. Her clothes were baggy on her, not showing off her amazing curves at all, and her eyes were dead. It was like looking into a bottomless pit. You felt your stomach sink.

She's in pain, and it's your fault.

"When were you going to tell me this, Adrienne?" his voice broke your train of thoughts you were heavily into.

She shrugged, "I figured you were too busy with," she looked over to the car disgusted, "her. I decided if me and the boys left town, you wouldn't feel obligated to take care of anyone but yourself and the new girl in your life."

He ran his fingers through his hair, "This is bullshit, Adie. How the hell am I ever going to see my kids if you're all the way in god damn Minnesota?"

She sighed, "You don't have to worry about us anymore, Billie Joe. I can't take this place, so I'm leaving it behind."

His eyes glowed with anger, confusion, and sadness. "Adrienne, I need the boys in my life. You can't just take them away from me."

She shook her head, "You don't need them. You have your new family to think about. Us being in this town is just giving you more people to worry about. I can't take this town, Billie Joe. I'm leaving you, and everyone else here, tonight."

He got down on both knees, begging, "Please, Adrienne. Don't leave with the boys. I-"

She cut him off, "Just stop. I already talked to a lawyer. He said that I would get custody of the children since you're always on tour and you've already begun another," she cleared her throat, "family."

He put his head in between his head and looked back up to her, "So that's it? I just loose my boys and never fucking see them again?"

She shrugged, "It'll be easier for all of us if you just agree to this. Fighting this will only make it harder for the both of us. The boys can visit you once a month on a weekend, and certain holidays. But that's it."

"I cannot believe you, Adrienne Armstrong" he spat.

"I could say the same this about you. And please don't call me that. It's Adrienne Nesser."

He looked like he was just stabbed in the back. He got up, shaking the dirt off his knees. "Can I just say goodbye to them?"

Without answering, she called the boys from inside to come outside and say goodbye to their father. Instantly two young boys ran outside. "Dad!" they yelled simultaneously.

He put up a front and smiled like nothing was wrong, "Hey guys! I hear you're going to Minnesota with Grandmom!"

The younger one, Jakob, frowned. "I don't wanna go. I wanna stay here with you, dad," he hugged the outside of his leg tightly.

Joey nodded his head, "Do we have to go dad? Mom said you had business to take care of and we had to go with Grandmom to be near family. Why can't you stay at home and do your business?"

You saw his eyes glaze over with water. He was trying his hardest not to cry, rubbing the top of his head, "Sorry, Joey, but I have to take care of this all. Don't worry, you guys can come visit me once a month for a weekend. It won't be that bad!"

Jakob pouted, "Dad, please stay!"

He pulled both boys into a hug, so they couldn't see the tears streaming down his face. He sniffled softly, "I'm sorry boys, but I have to do this. I'll always be with you guys, no matter what. Don't ever forget that."

He turned quickly so they couldn't see his face, heading towards the car. He yelled back, "I love you boys. Goodbye, Adrienne."

"We love you too, dad," they both said.

"Goodbye, Billie Joe," she said flatly.

He walked to the driver's side and got into the car. He started the car, neither of you saying a word, and backed out of the driveway. The car ride seemed like it would never end, the tension making it feel like forever. He pulled into the spot you always park in and turned the car off. The both of you sat in silence. Then, he broke down.

He put his head in the steering wheel and cried. You've never seen a man cry before, especially someone you thought to have been so strong. You put a hand on his leg, showing you were here for comfort. He lifted his head up and looked at you. His eyes were already bloodshot and his eyes, you've never seen them as vibrantly green as they are now. You wiped away a loose tear by his eye and told him it all gets worse before it gets better.

He sighs and lays down onto your shoulder, "I fucking hope, Roxy. I really do. I've lost so much, but gained so much too. If I didn't have you, I don't know what I would do."

You rest your head on his and sit there in silence. You're so thankful to have him in your life, but you can't help but feel guilty. When it all comes down to it, it's your fault his wife left him. It's your fault he just lost his kids.

It's your fault he's crying.

He lifts his head up, "I'm going to go get my guitar and head to the studio. I need to clear my head."

You nod your head and tell him you understand. You take the house key out of your purse and head to your apartment, turning around and saying goodbye to him and he pulled out of the parking space. You watch the car disappear.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't know to add anymore of the lyrics from Letterbomb to make it make much sense besides "She said I can't take this place, I'm leaving it behind. Well she said I can't take this town, I'm leaving you tonight.", but I figured you all would get the picture of it. I don't want to always have lyrics of him singing for the songs, I want to show the inspiration for the songs in this story. You know? Comment!<33