Let It Be.

Let It Be.

She stared up at Jesus’ cold stone face. It wasn’t kind + forgiving, it was harsh, judging. She turned her back + walked away.

She walked away from her lifelong faith + strict religious family. She turned her back on her past. She had always been a perfect Catholic. Always polite. Always doing well in school. Perfect manners. On the outside she had always been happy, smiling. On the inside she couldn’t stand it, doubts filled her mind. The gap between her + her family grew wider every day. She questioned her faith, why was God nowhere in her life? Why did she feel like this? Why couldn’t her family accept her for who she wanted to be? Now, here she was, finally escaping everything. Escaping everything she hated that had ever come into her sad, pitiful, uneventful life. She was escaping the only way she had ever known how. She started running, running past the empty pews, her footsteps echoing wildly on the intricately tiled floor.

She would be condemned. Condemned to hell for her betraying thoughts. Condemned to hell for what she was about to do.

She staggered through the massive cathedral doors, quickly registering her surroundings. The crumbling two-storey shops + houses, buildings to be knocked down. The city’s dirty smog rising above the inhabitants of the suburb. The rushing city-traffic, thick + speeding below her. She stumbled down the cold steps, picking up speed, lost to her faith, lost to her family, lost in the eyes of the God she had once worshipped. Condemned to hell, she threw herself forward.