Cursed

Introductions

“Jasper?” Fred called into the hallway. “The interview is complete. You may come back in. Oh, and please be sure to show Alexandra to her room. She has passed and has chosen to join us.”

“I knew you could do it, Alexandra!” Jasper exclaimed as he walked back into the office. “So, Fred, before the interview you said you were about to send for me. What did you need?”

“It can be discussed later. It’s nothing too important that it can’t wait until tomorrow. Not an assignment or anything, but my son-in-law is coming and I would like you to escort him around and show him the ropes. Unlike my own children, my own flesh and blood, he is actually interested in the Court and plans to take over the Assassin’s Guild for me whenever I’m ready to pass it on. That is, if he knows enough about the business by that time. Well, you and Alexandra can go get reacquainted since I’m sure that’s what you are dying to do. Especially, since she is now living here with us. You are dismissed.” And with that Fred ushered them out of his office before leaving it himself and locking the door.

“Well, I suppose the most logical thing to do now is show you where you will be staying.” Jasper was explaining the layout of the Court when his handheld went off. “Excuse me, will you, Alexandra?”

She nodded and Jasper answered the call, “Hello, Jasper speaking.”

Alexandra decided it was impolite to intrude on the call, so she began wandering around the halls of the Assassin’s Guild. “So, this is my new home.” She saw few people during her wanderings. The ones she spoke to were friendly and welcomed her when she said she was a new member.

“Do you know where your room is yet?” one girl asked her when she introduced herself.

“No, not yet. Jasper is supposed to show me, but he got a phone call. That and I don’t know what the room number is or anything to go find it myself.”

“Oh, you know Jasper?”

“Yes, I worked with him at Warehouse. He was my sparring partner. Well, I supposed I should go find him so I can get into my room and shower or something since I’m sure I’m beginning to smell by now. It was nice to meet you…Sorry I didn’t catch your name?”

“It’s alright. I’m Jasmine. I know about you. Jasper always talks about this girl he used to work with and how she is a really good fighter. I’m his younger sister, so he tells me pretty much everything. I’ll call him for you so you won’t be looking as long.” She took out her phone and began to dial his number. “Hey, I found her. She’s in Emerald Hall.” She paused, “Room 15. See you.” Click. “He says that he’ll be here in about two minutes. I would love to stay with you, but I am already late for class. It was nice meeting you.”

“See you around.”

“There you are. You are not an easy person to track down it seems. Now, would you like to see your room?”

“That would be wonderful.”

Jasper led Alexandra down several more hallways before taking out a key and unlocking the door to room 23. “Well, here it is. You’re one of the lucky ones. Since your credentials are so good, you get a suite. You have your own kitchen, dining room, and living room as opposed to just a bed and bathroom. My room is across the hall. So, we should be seeing a lot of each other. It was Markus on the phone earlier and he wants us to be partners again. So, if it’s alright with you we’ll be working for both the Intelligence Guild and the Assassin’s Guild.”

“Wow! Yes, that would be great. Oh my god! It’s gorgeous!” Alexandra exclaimed when she walked into her new room. “I’m not sure I’ll ever want to leave. Is your suite like this, too?”

Jasper just chuckled at her, “Yes, and no. My room is similar only yours is more feminine than mine. I do prefer the décor of your room to my own. Want to trade?”

“No, I don’t believe I would want to. This is too perfect.” At that moment Alexandra’s stomach growled. “It seems as if in all this excitement I forgot to feed. Is there anything in the kitchen or will I have to go somewhere else to find something?”

“Since you’re new, the kitchen should already be stocked. Although, from this point on, it’s up to you to keep it stocked. If you want, I’ll even make you something. Anything in particular tickle your fancy?”

“Anything, just make it fast.”

“You must be hungry if you don’t care what you’re putting into your mouth.” Jasper opened up the fridge and looked at the labels. “How about some Grizzly?”

At the mere mention of Grizzly, Alexandra’s stomach growled again, “That sounds amazing. I haven’t had Grizzly in so long. I’m getting tired of rabbits and such. Rare game is just what I need.”

In under thirty seconds, Alexandra had demolished the bag of Grizzly blood. “Oh, yeah, that hit the spot. So, now that the crisis has been averted, what do you want to do?”

“Well, I didn’t really have anything in mind. Talking, catching up? That’s about as far as I had gotten when I asked you to come with me. Why, what’s going through that head of yours? Wait, I’m not sure I want to know, since it is coming from your brain. It’s not going to get either of us into trouble, is it?”

“Define trouble.” Alexandra said and Jasper just shook his head at her. “Does skinny dipping count as trouble? Because I really want to know if you still have those yummy abs or if you’ve let them slip a little bit since I last saw you.”

“Well, I do still have my abs, but I’m not sure where you plan to go skinny dipping because the pool is definitely not a good place to do that. Although, with you it might be allowed. Males are all in the seats of power and I’m sure they would find you attractive. I’d rather not risk it though. So, how about we just go swimming instead. You can still see my abs and we avoid the trouble and hassle of finding a decent place.”

“Or there is always the shower. If you’re up for it, that is?” Alexandra suggested.

“Well…”

“If you’re not comfortable, I understand. I just so happen to know that you used to have a crush on me, so that’s why I suggested it. Basically it was to see if you still did, or not.”

Jasper looked at her in a way that suggested he did, but just wasn’t sure if he wanted to jump into this right away. He walked over to her and pushed her bangs out of her eyes. “Your eyes are too beautiful to be hidden like this. And about the shower, maybe tonight wouldn’t be the best night for that. Since you just got here and all, and since we are working together. If things go badly, it could make our situation awkward and we wouldn’t be able to work as well.” As he said this, not once did he look away from her, but stared into her emerald green eyes. “I really do love you Alexandra, but I value our friendship more than another of your one night stands. If we were to do this, I want to do it right.”

He kissed her on the forehead and backed away to the couch. “I’ll see you tomorrow at work. I’m beat, time to crash.”

Jasper had just reached the door and looked back to Alexandra, “I do love you, and it wouldn’t be a one night stand.” She barely whispered and a single tear ran down her cheek. “Stay, please.”
♠ ♠ ♠
message, comment, subscribe :)