Everly

These are options?

Maye stared at Jake and Alex looked disturbed.
“We have to get her back to the academy,” Alex said finally. Jake walked over to Riley’s lifeless body and scooped her up with ease. He had one arm behind her back and one arm under her knees. Jake carried her to the van and Alex opened the door. Maye jumped in the van as Jake placed Riley’s fragile body next to her. The two boys got in the front and drove towards the academy. Jake had a sullen look on his face and so did Alex. After they arrived, there wasn’t a rush to get Riley inside. They acted as if there was no hope to save her. Maye followed wordlessly, holding back tears. Their butler, Phillip, took Maye to a room because the boys thought it was best if she didn’t see Riley like that. Maye sat down on the bed and she couldn’t hold the tears back any longer. Laying face down on the bed, she let it all out. After crying for what seemed like years, Maye decided that she would not just sit there while Riley was sick or whatever she was. Maye collected herself and set out to find her. She ran down the halls of the academy, but came to a stop when she overheard a conversation.
“You have to do something!” It was Jake’s voice coated with fury and aggravation. Maye stood outside of a cracked door, peering through.
“I’m trying,” said a lady in her mid-thirties.
“You know I can’t sit here and watch her suffer. You have to see the reoccurring pattern here, Vivian,” Jake screamed, with his pain clearly audible. She looked at him questioningly. “Every time I get close to a girl, something happens. I just don’t understand,” he said, looking at his feet.
“Come on. Let’s go.” It was Alex who spoke that time. Maye couldn’t eavesdrop much longer. Looking down, she saw someone’s feet. She looked up at Jake and Alex with a sheepish look on her face. They were at a loss for words, but Maye on the other hand, was about to explode with questions.
“What? What’s wrong with her?” Maye questioned because of the looks on their faces.
“Let’s find somewhere we can talk,” Alex said while dragging them down the hall. They went inside a small room that had several chairs that matched the rest of the place, a fireplace, and some bookshelves. Maye plopped down in a chair. Jake sat down looking rigid and like he would rather be in the room with Riley, and Alex sat down with authority because neither Maye nor Jake waned to think about the reality of the situation.
“Well, this isn’t good,” Alex began, but before he continued, both Maye and Jake threw a pillow at his head. “Hey!” he wined. They ignored his complaints.
“What’s going to happen to Riley?” Maye spoke up.
“There are only two options, let her become a vampire or we kill her,” Jake spoke softly. Maye’s eyes almost popped out of her head. She didn’t know what surprised her more, the fact that her best friend might become a vampire or that they might try to kill her. Maye couldn’t say anything. She summoned all her strength.
“How can you even call those options?!” she screamed at them. Jake flinched at her words.
“We are trying to see if there is a way to stop the transformation,” Jake told her.
“Will she still be Riley?” Maye asked carefully, not wanting to inflict any more pain.
“There is a high chance that she won’t remember what happened, who she is, or who we are,” Alex said sadly. By now, Maye thought that nothing would shock her more than she already was when she found out that they might have to kill her, but she was wrong. She stood up and ran out of the room. Once she found the room Riley was in again, she went to stand next to her. Tears ran down her face as her head lay gently on Riley’s bed.
“I know you can’t hear me, but I don’t care. Gosh, Riley, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. Please, when you wake up, remember me. Also, don’t try to kill me,” Maye laughed through her tears. Just as she was about to drift asleep, Jake walked in. She lifted her head to look at him. Despite the fact that his face was still covered with hurt, Maye felt the need to ask, “Find anything?” He shook his head in dismay. He sat down by the other side of Riley. The two of them sat in silence, not really knowing how to comfort each other. After a little while, Alex walked in.
“How long will she be like this?” Maye asked out of curiosity and the need to see her best friend functioning again.
“It depends. Time varies. She may be like this for a day or even a week,” Alex answered. This new information made Maye moan and Jake sigh. A loud cough echoed through the room. Alex, Jake, and Maye looked around. Riley had woken up! All three of them jumped up and surrounded her bed. Nobody said anything.
“Where am I?” Riley asked. Everyone let out a sigh, expecting the worst.
“You’re at the academy, Riley,” Jake said quietly. Tears rolled down Maye’s face.
“You better stop crying, Maye, or I’ll pee in your shampoo,” Riley said with a slight smile. Maye looked up at her then attacked her with a hug.
“Oh my God, Riley! I thought you wouldn’t remember me!” Maye screamed as she let go of Riley.
“Jake!” Riley squeaked. He looked up at her. A smile tore across his beautiful face. He leaned down and kissed her on her forehead.
“I’m glad you’re okay,” Jake whispered in her ear.
“Me too,” she whispered back. A sudden jolt of pain ran through Riley as she tried to move. She let out a whimper.
“What is it?” Jake asked with worry.
“It hurts,” Riley cried.
“What hurts?” Maye asked. Riley opened her mouth to say something, but she slipped into unconsciousness.
“Is she alive?” Maye questioned.
“She is breathing,” Jake told her.
“Oh., well what are we supposed to do?” Maye pondered out loud.
“Let’s let her sleep,” Alex suggested. They stood there in silence as they stared at Riley’s disheveled figure. Standing next to each other, Alex pulled Maye into a hug, which she accepted without a second thought.
“We should go get something to eat. Riley will be okay,” Alex tried to be cheery. Which had no effect on Maye or Jake. Regardless, they followed brainlessly; their thoughts on Riley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait.
I hope this chapter is worth the wait.
Comments would be nice.