More Than You Know

Chapter 13

My relationship with Michael has been going on without any problems for about three months. No problems with his crazy ex, no fights or anything of the sort. We barely even go out because it's cheaper and a lot more romantic to spend our nights together watching a movie with a fake fire going in the fire place and a giant bowl of extra butter popcorn.

"Michael, I have to go to work okay? I love you, I will call you in between houses," I whispered to my sleeping boyfriend as I lovingly ran my fingers across the contours of his cheek bones.

Before I changed my mind and crawled back into bed to hold him again, I grabbed my coat and headed out the door to meet my next prospective home buyer. a man by the name of Max Green. I smothered a peal of laughter at the name, kind of like some extreme form of a color, or a lame wrestling name.

When I got to the house, a short guy with the typical emo cut and a metal lip ring, was standing on the driveway with his hands shoved in the pockets of his tight fitting jeans.

"Hi, you must be Max, It's so nice to finally meet you in person," I said shaking his hand firmly, "You play a guitar of some sort?"

"Bass," He muttered quietly before pulling his hand from my grip.

I led him through the house showing him the various rooms and closet spaces of the house that was actually, quite the dump. The carpets had holes and burns in them, and the walls had the markings of a careless or angry set of young kids armed with crayons, and the parents who didn't care enough to wipe the colored wax off of the offended walls.

"So, what do you think?" I asked, pausing in the kitchen, his back to me.

"Are you gay?" He asked, turning around to face me, a fierce new look gathered in his eyes.

"Excuse me? I don't think that's any of your bus-"

He cut me off by hungrily pressing his lips to mine while holding my arms roughly at the elbows.

I started to kiss him back, to give in and subject him to the same treatment that he seemed to enjoy. So many things could be done with that cool piece of metal around his lip.

Michael.

His name ran through my mind like a bolt of lightning. Searing through the dirty thoughts that occupied my brain, and waking me up to the reality that I'm making out with a man that isn't my boyfriend, a man that I barely know, and it's not right. It's betraying my boyfriend.

I easily pushed him back and chose to disregard the hurt look laced across his features and instead responded by continuing on in a business like manner.

"Do you want the house or not?"

He shook his head and I made a couple of marks on my clipboard before responding again,

"I think a different agent will be in touch, this business transaction between the two of us isn't going to work out," I said mechanically as I led him out of the vacant house.

I drove home with the taste of Max still lingering on my lips,and went straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth before i realized that Michael hadn't greeted me when I walked in.

Curious, I walked into the kitchen and almost broke into hysterics at the sight before me.

Spaghetti sauce was boiling furiously, leaving red splatters all over the counter and wall, there was a dark smoke coming from the oven with a strong smell that reminded me of burnt garlic bread, and there was a pot of noodles frying on the full temperature stove.

"Michael? Baby? What's going on in here?" I asked leaning against the door frame.

Michael slammed the refrigerator door shut and ran into my line of sight with a bottle of our most expensive champagne in his shaking hand.

"Help me, William!" He yelled pulling out the black garlic bread and fanning a small flame that lingered.

I silently complied and helped him clean up the mess, ordering Chinese food for delivery instead, and cleaned up the disaster area while he apologized profusely.

"Michael, just what exactly were you trying to do?" I asked starting the dishwasher.

"I wanted to make you dinner, but we both see how well I can cook," he frowned motioning to the crispy noodles lying stiffly in the garbage can next to the burnt garlic bread.

"I think I am going to have to teach you how to cook,"I laughed as I pulled him into my arms, "I missed you today,"

"You did?" You were only gone for eight hours and you missed me?" He asked into my neck.

"Mhm, I love you Michael, I really do,"

"I love you too William,"