Status: Restarted; active.

Spine

Chapter 4

Vicky walks into the kitchen and softly shuts the door behind her. With a deep sigh, she leans against the cool wall before slowly sliding down to the floor. What is she going to do with this man? He is eight years older than she is, and this scares her. All her life, she has been terrified of older men because of all the stories her mother has told her in order to intimidate her into safety, and now she has brought one into her own apartment. She is beginning to regret this cross she has hung around her neck. Already, Vicky wishes that Ayden would just get up and leave. But he can’t. Not with whatever is holding him down. And she didn’t even tell him about the blood.

Here, on her own, she can pull off her mask of courage and think things through before acting upon them. She stretches her arms out before her, only to notice that her hands are shaking. She lets them, because she knows that this is the one place she can let them shake.

Bravery is something she is lacking, she decides. Perhaps looking after this man will not only earn her a few karma points, but it might also allow Vicky to learn a couple of things about herself. She could improve on her bad points, such as her fear, and learn to flaunt the good ones, such as kindness. She giggles nervously as she begins to feel like the Cowardly Lion.

“I need to do this for myself,” she whispers as she gets up and heads towards the cupboard. The girl takes a deep breath and gets out a pan.

What does a twenty-six year old man want to eat? Vicky wonders as she sets the pan down on the counter. Bacon and eggs sounds pretty good in her mind. She takes out a packet of bacon, which she only bought for a friend, who came around yesterday, and scrapes together a couple of eggs. As she starts to sizzle the food, she realises that it’s Christmas. The biggest holiday of the year and she didn’t even remember!

As she throws the early morning meal onto a plate, she scrunches up her nose. Never has the smell of freshly cooked meat disgusted her more than it does now. She takes a deep breath and opens the door with one hand, as she balances the plate on the other.

“Merry Christmas!” she exclaims in her brave voice again, as she puts the plate on the coffee table near the couch Ayden is lying on.

“What? It’s Christmas? Since when?” The man looks slightly bewildered.

“Since about…” Vicky looks at the clock, “Ten hours ago.”

“Are you sure?” Ayden’s voice is beginning to quiver.

“Yeah, I know. I just remembered too. Weird, huh?” The girl gives out a nervous giggle.

Ayden doesn’t say another word, but his face refuses to stop giving away his initial shock. As soon as he attempts to sit up, his visage seems moulded into that of a beast. His teeth grind and his nose flares. It’s a matter of seconds before he lets a gravelly scream escape.

“Are you okay?” Vicky is at the man’s side immediately, wanting to hold his arm, but feeling too squeamish to actually do it.

“Yep, my back just hurts like hell whenever I try to move,” Ayden grunts in between deep breaths as he relaxes back into his initial position.

“Shit… Maybe you shouldn’t move then. I’ll call a doctor.” Vicky heads towards the telephone.

“No, wait.” Vicky turns around at the man’s command. “Can I have breakfast first?”

“Do you want me to feed you or something?” Vicky giggles before seeing the serious look on the man’s face.

“Look, sugar, I’m not happy about it either, but I’m hungry. Serve it up!” Ayden demands.

Vicky snorts loudly. “You know, you are such a jerk. I don’t know why I don’t send you back where you came from!”

Adyen’s face softens. “Sorry, it’s just that I’m a little on edge right now, I suppose,” he mumbles. “My back hurts like a bitch and I have absolutely no sense of time. I haven’t eaten in ages either, which is why I’m quite desperate to have breakfast, which smells delicious by the way!” Ayden smiles and Vicky finds herself quivering at the knees. He is a good-looking guy, that’s for sure, but she didn’t realise that a simple smile could have such an effect on her.

“Of course,” she smiles back before kneeling down at his side.

“This is a little weird,” she mumbles, as she stuffs a piece of bacon in Ayden’s open mouth.

“How do you think I feel? I have to eat on my back as well. That ain’t too comfy, trust me.” Ayden attempts a giggle, which decorates his face quite nicely.

After shoving a rather large chunk of fried egg and bacon into the man’s mouth, Vicky leans back, tilts her head to the side and watches him chew. He is handsome, she has to give him that. Even though he is a bit of an arse, he sure is a hunk, if that’s what you’d call it. He has thick dark brown hair, which ends about ten centimeters from his scalp. It lies greasy and flat atop his head, but Vicky knows they could fix that easily with a shower. His nose is small, and slightly effeminate, framed by a few clandestine freckles, which she thinks gives him a child-like quality. It reminds her somewhat of her own nose, with its childish upturn and its own freckle guard. Ayden’s eyes are wide and cornflower blue, with a mischievous tint, which helps to make him look that much younger than his age. His eyelashes are long and curled – Vicky can’t help but admire those. She has spent hours in the bathroom, trying different types of eyelash curlers and mascaras to get the effect Ayden is lucky enough to have received naturally. The girl bets that he doesn’t even realise his own fortune, and often wishes for something more manly, the ungrateful bastard. His flawless skin is slightly less pale than Vicky’s, yet it is unnaturally light still. Vicky can’t help but notice the similarities in their appearances – having been self conscious her whole life, the girl has spent forever in front of mirrors, just studying herself, trying to find good points to focus on. She has ended up knowing herself off by heart, so she could easily find any slight changes anywhere on her body.

“What’s so damn funny?” Ayden grumbles. Vicky didn’t realise she has developed a rather wide and stupid looking smile from staring at him for so long.

“Nothing. I was just thinking of a joke my friend told me a couple of days ago,” she covers up somewhat smoothly.

“Well, I’m glad you’re happy, but I’m starving. Gimme some eggs, woman.” He grins at his own remark. Vicky sighs and shakes her head before reaching for a new portion. She almost forgot what a jerk he is before he broke her entrancing studies of his face.

“You know,” she begins, “You could be a little more appreciative. I think we’ve already had this conversation anyway. One could think you would have learned something.”

“Like what? Are you gonna chuck me back out into the streets?” Ayden’s voice is beginning to rise.

“If that’s what it takes to get you to be a little more polite to those who help you. Which I doubt there will be very many of if I throw you out.” Vicky’s tone is in competition with Ayden’s.

“Yeah, right, you’re gonna throw me out when I can’t even move. Come on, why don’t you give it your best shot and lift me off this couch? You couldn’t do it even if you wanted to.” His tone is lower now, yet sharp as a needle. A smirk is developing on his stupidly handsome face.

“You know what?” The girl’s tone won’t back down. “Feed yourself.” With a swift motion of one hand, the contents of the plate are sent flying over Ayden and anything within his reach.

“Fuck you!” Vicky screeches as she storms out of the living room, knowing the man is absolutely right.

“And merry Christmas to you too!” Ayden throws into the empty air.