Sudden Whispers Filled the Room

1/1

“Alex, I am not coming out in this costume,” Jack called from behind the door of our bathroom.

“Aw, baby please come out. You have to look cute in that outfit. Plus you match me, c’mon, what’s a squirrel to do without his nut?” I asked sitting on the edge of our bed facing the door of the bathroom waiting for him to emerge from behind it.

I was already in my squirrel Halloween costume. Jack and I had decided that getting squirrel and an acorn Halloween costumes would be cute, and we decided that I was the squirrel, and that Jack was the nut because well, he just normally acts like a nut most of the time, and I would just look funny, and cute if you asked Jack, in a squirrel costume. These were the cutest and the most outrageous costumes that they had there, and knowing us we wanted to do something crazy.

“I’m not coming out of here,” he said in reply to me.

I frowned. “Jacky,” I whined. “Please come out. For me, please.”

It was silent for a few moments, and then I heard a small sigh from behind the door.

“Fine,” Jack gave in to me and opened the bathroom door slowly.

I couldn’t help but giggle when I saw him.

My gorgeous boyfriend, Jack Barakat, was standing in the doorway in his cute little acorn costume. He looked absolutely adorable in it; though I guess he took my giggle the wrong way when he heard it slip from my lips.

“I just knew that you were going to think I looked dumb.” Jack muttered turning back and trying to escape back into the bathroom to change from his adorable outfit.

“No Jacky, I think you look cute.” I said standing up and moving quickly over to him. “And… I can’t go out on my own. I’ll look silly, I have to have you to make this whole crazy thing work out right,” I said flashing a sweet little smile at Jack knowing that he couldn’t resist it.

“Oh fine,” he said walking back to me and away from the bathroom door completely.

I grinned grabbing a hold of his hand, and pulling him out of the bedroom, and down the front hall of our little house that we lived together in. He had already wasted enough time and that had made us get behind. I wouldn’t be surprised if we were late to the party now.

“Everyone is going to make fun of us, these outfits look ridiculous,” Jack complained as I hauled him out the door. “And how the hell and I suppose to get into the car in this?”

I just shrugged.

Jack frowned and tried to figure a way to get into the car, finally finding how to but then saying he was highly uncomfortable and that he felt fat once he had got the door closed behind him.

I sighed slightly, and drove off in the direction of Rian’s house.

I was actually very happy to be going to Rian’s Halloween party. I hadn’t been to a party for quite a while, let alone a Halloween one, and with Jack right along with me.

--- --- --- --- ---

I helped Jack out of the car when we pulled up in front of Rian’s house. The look on his face a pretty much a less than happy face, but I just kissed him quickly, and took his hand as we walked up to the door. Rian was like one of our best friends so we just kinda let ourselves into the house.

There were people dressed like faeries, princes and princesses, vampires, werewolves, strippers, and hobos. So many things people were dressed as for their costumes, but we were the only ones dressed as a squirrel and an acorn. We were already getting pointed at by a few people and they were whispering. Jack squeezed my hand and I told him it was all okay.

I knew how much he hated when other’s were snickering and talking about him. He acted like he could care less most of the time, but I knew that it upset him quite a bit.

Soon I spotted Rian and Zack. Rian stood all decked out in his awesome dinosaur costume while Zack was dressed as a bumble bee, and he looked pretty adorable in it, but not as adorable as I though Jack looked in his acorn outfit.

They laughed a little when they saw us.

“Nice costumes you two,” Rian said smiling.

“Yeah,” Zack said giggling a little bit.

“You all have some crazy costumes too so you better not be saying anything,” I laughed holding tightly onto Jack’s hand before I realized that I was really thirsty.

“Hey babe, I’ll be right back I gotta get a drink before I like… die. Do you want anything?” I asked looking at Jack for a moment.

“Nah,” he mumbled leaning over and kissing me.

I smiled before beginning to walk off to find myself something to drink.

Though on the way over there I was stopped by two guys that I didn’t even know which was a bit of a surprise because normally at Rian’s parties I knew exactly who every single person that was there was. So it was a little odd that this time I didn’t have a clue who they were, yet obviously they knew me.

“Nice costume Gaskarth,” one of the guys said laughing a little bit.

“You look like a totally idiot,” the second guy kinda slurred when he spoke to me, and I rolled my eyes wondering why they were deciding to mess with me.

“You don’t you just leave me alone?” I rolled my eyes trying to push my way past these guys but they just kind of pushed back against me not letting me pass why.

“C’mon move,” I said.

“Why?” the first guy asked me. “Why should we let you by?”

“Uhhh, maybe because I didn’t do shit to you, and I don’t even have a fucking clue who the hell you are.” I suggested.

“Nah, that doesn’t sound like that good of a reason, the second guy slurred again pushing me back slightly.

I just kinda stood there trying to ignore them, and not throw a punch at one of them when they continued to shove me ever so slightly every once and a while when they noticed that I wasn’t listening to what they were saying.

I guess that Jack realized when I didn’t come back right away from getting myself a drink. It hadn’t been that long since I had left, but he didn’t take to long to come looking for me when I didn’t come back immediately.

“What the hell is going on here?” He thundered at these guys who turned away from me then back when they saw him.

“What Gaskarth you gonna get your nutty little boyfriend in on this now?” The first guy asked me.

I just shrugged.

“You aren’t the brightest person in the world you know.”

I laughed at that statement wondering if they realized that I was probably much smarter than the both of them combined.

“Just back off him,” Jacked said stepping into the middle with me, and taking my hand carefully.

“What you gonna do?” one of the guys asked him.

“This,” Jack muttered before throwing a punch into the jaw of the guy that had questioned him.

The guy stumbled back slightly before cursing at Jack.

The slightly intoxicated guy slapped Jack across the face which left a handprint on his face before he helped his friend off and they stumbled away from me and Jack.

“You didn’t have to do that you know,” I told him softly.

“I know.” Jack told me with a nod to his head when he said it.

“Then why?” I asked him a little bit confused.

Jack just smiled at me, and leaned over to kiss my cheek before starting to lead me to where drinks were so I could get the drink that I had wanted in the first place before those guys had decided to bother me with their stupidity.

He finally answered when we got to the table with all the drinks and snacks.

“Because nuts can’t do anything without their squirrels.”