Now That We're The Same, We're Together Forever

A+ In Making Friends

After the worst class of the day was over, I was so tired. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would have been. The only thing leading to failure now was Jacob. I couldn’t keep my mind off of him. But I would have to take my eyes off him. Math was next and I wasn’t looking forward to it. Jacob tried to reassure me that I’d be just fine for possibly the millionth time, but I had my doubts. I didn’t know anybody here, except for the pack. I was sure no one would like me.

“What is it about you that you think people will not like you? It’s impossible.”

“The fact that I’m smarter than your average teenager might be one.”

“Most of the people in this town aren’t the brightest. The only kids in that class with be just as smart as you, maybe even smarter.”

“That’s what you think. You’ve probably never set foot into a room where the people were stupider than you.”

“Ah…she’s funny, too.”

“But you already knew that.” I laughed.

“Here you are. Pre-Calc.” he held out his hand as if he were presenting a prize.

“Do I really have to go?”

“It’s not going to be that bad.”

“But I won’t be with you. It would be the first time we’ve been apart since…forever.”

“I’ve only known you for a week.”

“But I saw you in my dreams before that.”

“What?” Just then the bell rang.

“I’ll talk to you about it later. You’re late.” I walked into the classroom and looked around. Jacob was right for the most part. All the people in here looked like nerds. I know it’s a horrible thing to say but it was true. There was one kid, in the back, that looked semi normal. Though he was dressed in all black. And had long straight black hair that ran over his eyes. I handed my teacher, Mr. Tyler, my slip. He of course, knew me as Calvin’s daughter.
When I got it back I walked to the back of the room to sit next to the emo kid. I didn’t this knowing he probably didn’t talk much, so it would be pretty quiet.

The teacher handed out a worksheet for, what he called a warm-up. Then he said the worst word he possible could.

“Partners.” I groaned in disgust.

Perfect. I thought.

Perfect time to make friends. Jacob said appearing in my head.

Shut up.

I love you, too.

“So what do you say?” This brought me away from my thoughts. I looked up. A girl was sitting in front of me who wasn’t before. She had straight blond hair to her shoulders and green eyes. She was also wearing a very pink sweater.

“I’m sorry…what?” I asked.

“Do you want to be partners?”

“No thank you. I think I can do this on my own.”

“Maybe next time.”

“Yeah.” I smiled. She smiled and moved to an empty desk in the front.

“Bad move.” I turned my head to look at Emo Kid.

“What?”

“That was a very bad move.”

“Why? Who was that?”

“That’s Ashlynn. Extremely preppy good girl cheerleading captain. She’s also student body president. She’s also star of the varsity softball team.”

“So why was it a bad move?”

“She expects you to be her partner next time. And you really don’t want to do that. Trust me.”

“I don’t even know you and you expect me to trust you with something as important as my sanity?” he laughed.

“My name is Trevor.”

“Lorelei.”

“Now trust me.”

“Can I trust you enough to be my partner?”

“I think you can. But my opinion is a little biased.” I nodded.

“I think I’ll take a dive. I’m going to trust your biased opinion.”

“That’s also a bad move.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m not very good at this.”

“I’ll help you.” I looked at the paper briefly and knew the answer to the first question. “It’s not that hard.”

“You’re probably a lot smarter than me.”

“How did you get into this class if you don’t think that you are smart?”

“I don’t think I’m smart. I know I’m smart. I just don’t get this.”

“Have you tried?”

“No.”

“Then how do you know?”

“It’s not if you think you know, it’s knowing you know.”

“Meaning…?”

“Meaning I don’t apply myself.”

“You should.”

“I should, but I don’t want to. I want to be normal. Not some freaky genius kid that everybody comes to for help.”

“That’s isn’t gonna be easy if you’re in Pre-Calc.”

“One of the reasons I’m quiet. I can try, can’t I?”

“I know you can try, but most people aren’t successful at hiding who they really are.”

“Before you all get too far ahead in your work, I want you and your partner’s work on one worksheet. I’ll be coming around to take one away in a minute.” Mr. Tyler said.

“Good thing we didn’t start.”

“Good thing.” He agreed. I wrote both his and my name on the top of the sheet.

“I hope I’m not being to forward…”

“Go ahead.”

“What’s up with the whole emo get up?”

“It’s what I like.”

“So you’re all depressed because of something you saw on T.V.?”

“I’m not emo, I just like the style. I don’t cut myself or anything like that.”

“If you had told me that before I sat down next to you I would have sat somewhere else.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t expect to make any friends or even talk to anybody today.”

“Why not?”

“Here is so much different from where I came from.”

“Where did you come from?”

“Jacksonville, Florida.”

“That’s a long way away from here.”

“You’re telling me. But I’m doing okay so far. My step-brother introduced me to his friends so they are nice to me.”

“At least you have people to talk to at lunch. That’s cool.”

“I guess it is.”

“Who’s your step-brother?”

“Quil Ateara.”

“Is he the really big guy?”

“He’s one of them. All of them are pretty big. Whether it’s tall or burly.”

“I know them. They seem okay. Very out there. And loud.”

“Yeah. They’re guys. What else are you going to do? It’s not like you can just tell them to shut up and they actually do it.”

“Except for me.”

“Except for you. But you don’t count because you’re quiet to begin with.”

“But I’m still a guy.”

“We should really get to work on this.”

“When you say we…?”

“I mean both of us. Meaning get out a piece of paper and show me how to do this. As if I weren’t smarter than you.” I smiled at him. And he smiled back. I had a friend. Jacob would be happy. Happy that I didn’t spend the whole hour and a half sulking without him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Weird day for me to be posting, huh? Yeah well, I don't have school tomorrow so I can be on. Okay tell me what you think about Trevor...more friends to come...also more enemies...

Loves to all readers...