Status: Slowly active...

Behind This Smile

Finally

The buzz of excited students filled the gym. Parents sat in the chairs with cameras in their laps, smiles on their faces, and tears in their eyes. Although my dad wasn’t here, I knew he was watching. And that gave me my sense of security. Donna was there, though.

“You excited?” a voice whispered in my ear.

My heart sped up and I turned around and smiled at Gerard. He quickly kissed my lips and I nodded. “I am so ready to get out of this hell hole.”

He laughed and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Me, too.”

--

One by one, the principal called names, handing diplomas, and shaking hands. My leg bounced up and down. After this, I knew my life would begin and that was okay.

--

“Nicola McKinley,” Mr. Daniel’s voice echoed from the microphone. I watched my sister walk up to him, grab her diploma and smile. She glanced at me and grinned. I smiled back. Nicola changed considerably since Dad’s death. He hair is back to her natural color (black), and she’s just changed.

“Sydri McKinley.” I quickly got up and walked over to Mr. Daniel. My heart raced with excitement. He handed me my diploma and hugged me. “Good job,” he whispered. I smiled and walked back to my seat. Donna and Mikey grinned at me and clapped.

More names were called until Gerard’s finally came up. The same routine happened with him and he walked back to his seat.

“Congratulations. You have graduated high school.”

--

Donna was bawling. “You just grew up so fast,” she sobbed into Gerard’s shoulder. “Ooh, I’m so proud of you. You, too, Sydri! Come here! Group hug!! Mikey, take a picture!!”

Everybody crying and hugging and saying goodbye. Nicola walked up to me with her boyfriend, Dane, and she smiled. “Finally, right?”

I nodded, feeling slightly stupid that tears were gathering in my eyes. “Finally.”

--

“I got accepted into that college I wanted to go to in New York,” Gerard whispered, smiling.

I grinned. “I knew you would.”

He looked at me and grabbed my hand. He laid down and pulled me down with him. “What about you?”

I sighed. “I’m thinking about going to WT and become a music director or something.” I laughed.

“That’ll be great.” He closed his eyes and sighed. After a few more minutes I assumed he was asleep. I rested my head on his shoulder and let a couple of tears fall from my eyes.

Finally.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter.