Status: Pretty much on hiatus.

Embrace Your Inner Ginger

chapter 14

“C’mon Dave, we got to start moving. I don’t think I could survive another night out here,” Matt instructed.

“Yeah I suppose you’re right… Although I wouldn’t know as I can’t remember yesterday night…” replied Dave.

The pair set off, wandering into the early morning sun. Neither of them had any idea where to go they just walked. Walked for what seemed like hours, hoping, praying for a sign of civilisation.

“So what happened exactly when you noticed I’d disappeared…?” Asked Dave.

Matt recounted the story, mentioning the phone, the search party, everyone else giving up…

“So why did you disappear?” Matt curiously enquired.

“Well… I got a little upset; I wanted some time to myself… alone. You know how I get texts from Julia? Well they have stopped.” A tear formed in his eye as he spoke these words; it was painful for him to tell Matt his problems. “And I can’t even contact her to find out why she’s has stopped texting me. This is the only girl I’ve ever loved and she just stops contacting me. Just like that.” He said clicking his fingers. “No warning, just stops.” Tears were now dripping down onto the cold snow.

Matt pondered what to say before giving in and just giving his weeping friend a hug and shoulder to cry on.

After 20 minutes or so and a good sit down the duo set off once again.

Spotting a hill Matt exclaimed to a still emotionally unstable Dave. “That hill! I’m sure there was a hill I saw from the campsite… Maybe that is the same one! Hopefully it’s the same one…”

Matt pointed towards the large mound that lay ahead of them.

Dave perked up a little at the thought of discovering something; a bit hope came back to him. The walking pace of the two increased; they had both had enough of wandering the wilderness. They wanted to sit around a warm campfire with a steaming mug of hot chocolate amongst their friends. Matt was missing one person in particular but he didn’t show it, he didn’t want to make him and Dave look like they were on a funeral march, even though it was tearing him up inside, not knowing how she was coping without him. He hoped with all his heart that she was ok, sat with everyone else waiting for them to return, not worrying too much.

They continued to scale the large hill; each step they took up became more hopeful, more hurried. After Matt and Dave had trudged through several miles of knee deep snow they reached the peak of the great mound, only to find several more miles of barren, snow coated earth in the distance.

They were about to descend back down away from the now setting sun destined to spend another night in the harsh wilderness, when Dave suddenly pointed and said “Look there’s someone down there.” Sure enough there was someone there, meandering left and right in a rather distressed, deluded fashion.

“That’s Holly!” Matt yelled excitedly.

“HOLLY!” Matt shouted as loud as he could, “HOLLY!”

She looked up. Matt started to sprint towards her. The deep snow couldn’t stop him, but unfortunately the uneven ground could, He tripped yet again and flew into the snow face first, inhaling a mouthful of the frozen powder. Upon seeing this Holly and Dave both hurried to his aid after noticing he didn’t jump up like he normally would’ve done, laughing at himself. Holly collapsed next to him.

“Matt, get up…” Dave pestered.

Grimly, Holly replied, “He isn’t breathing…”
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY, another chapter