Status: Pretty much on hiatus.

Embrace Your Inner Ginger

Chapter 6

Darkness descended over the Yorkshire Dales as a small search party, consisting of Matt, Tom, Lizzie and Sam went wandering off into the distance.

Back at the campfire things were looking up, Zoe had an idea and announced, “Why don’t we ring him!!!” Everyone went silent as Zoe rang Dave. There was a faint noise but it was defiantly a phone. Everyone at the tents frantically tried to follow the quiet ring. They eventually discovered it was coming from Dave’s bag in the tent; predictably he didn’t have his phone with him. Heavy snow started to fall, but in all the mayhem the fire had gone out and unfortunately in the current conditions it was impossible to relight.

“Let’s go into the tent to keep warm,” suggested Jess. As everyone followed Jess into the tent, Holly shouted “No! We’ve got to keep lookout for the others, they won’t be able to see us now the fire’s gone out.” Unfortunately no one listened and they all left Holly outside, praying for the safe return of all her friends.

Things were looking even worse for the search party. They had been walking for over and hour now. The snow was half way up their shins, and their trainers were completely submerged and dripping wet.

“We can’t keep going,” Sam pointed out, “Let’s head back and we’ll continue looking in the morning.” This, however having known Dave for 11 years, was not an option for Matt.

“We’ve got to keep searching! It must be much worse for Dave who’s on his own, we have to find him!”

“I’m going back” Tom replied.

“Yeah, we’ve got no hope finding him in this weather,” answered Lizzie.

“C’mon we all better go back then” added Sam.

“Fine! You do that. But I’m going to find Dave,” Matt angrily replied, “Goodbye!”

The search party split. Matt continued to walk into the snow-covered wilderness. The others turned to head back, but suddenly it dawned on them that the firelight had gone. They couldn’t tell where the tent was. So instead they tried to retrace their footsteps. Once they reached the end of the trail of footsteps they’d left earlier, the found nothing was there.

“Where’s the tent?” asked Lizzie worriedly.

“I don’t know” replied Tom.

“The snow must’ve covered up the footsteps, we’re lost” Sam admitted.

Holly, who was still sat outside on her own, heard the three talking and shouted for them. With some skill, and a lot of luck, Tom, Lizzie and Sam came into view. Holly jumped up excitedly, happy to see her friends return.

“We couldn’t find Dave. We will keep searching tomorrow morning,” Tom told Holly.

“What happened to the fire?” Lizzie enquired, the relief at having found the camp, seeping into her voice.

“Well, we rang ring Dave’s phone but that, inevitably, was in the tent and not with him. Everyone else then went to bed because the snow had put the fire out…” Holly looked around, puzzled and with a look of distress in her eyes, she asked, “Where is Matt?!”