Iero Fiasco

Making Amends

"Thanks again for driving me." Jess says as Molly closes the trunk of her car.
"No problem." she says hugging her friend, it was only a few months earlier that Jess was driving Molly to the airport to visit Frank. Now Molly was driving Jess to the airport to see Durban. "Have fun babe."
"Babe huh? Better not let Durban hear you say that."
"Oh right, gotta keep our affair a secret." Molly jokes back.

"Mols," Jess says lowering her voice, "Last chance to tell me what's wrong with you and Frank."
"Nothing, just stupid stuff." Molly murmurs.
"Does it have anything to do with you being a stubborn cow?"
"I'm no cow." Molly tries to laugh off, but her friend's stare penetrates right through her defensive sense of humor, "Alright, some of it has to do with my stubbornness."
"Well, quit it." Jess says playfully elbowing Molly's side, "Last thing I want is to come back to find our you've gone Kurt Cobain on my ass."
"Don't worry." Molly says smiling weakly, "I don't need a man, I'll be fine."
"I somehow doubt that." the older of the two says suspiciously.
"Gah." Molly groans.
"Oh c'mon, you and Frank were like the perfect couple."

"Get your ass on that plane or you're going to miss it." Molly says changing the subject, she slaps Jess's behind and laughs.
"Real mature Mols." Jess says rolling her eyes, "Alright, see you in a week."
"See ya."

Gerard reaches across the sofa and smacks Frank across the head.
"What the fuck?" Frank demands.
"Stop it." Gerard yawns as he pretends to be more concentrated on the TV.
"What?!"
"You keep glancing at the phone, its an-NOY-ing."
"I wasn't." Frank protests. Gerard lets out a stifled fake cough.
"If you say so."

"Why won't she answer my calls?"
"Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to?" Gerard responds blandly. He picks up the remote and lazily flips through the channels. "Hey man, I think you're broken up, or else she would've called by now."
"Shut-up."
"Seriously, she called last week asking about the band and-"
"She called you?"
"Yeah."
"What did she say about me?"
"Not much," Gerard says motioning for Frank to be silent, "She asked if the band was back together, I suggested that she didn't care about the band and was calling about you, she was still pissed at you, I told her about your shrink visits, she was surprised, end of call."

Frank stares blankly at his friend.
"And you didn't tell me this because?"
"I thought it would give you a false sense of hope."
"No, there is still hope, you said she was surprised to hear I've been seeing a shrink."
"Yeah, as in she probably never thought you'd actually go to one, not the fact that its because she wants to take you back."

"When did she call you?"
"Uhh." Gerard says as his eyes finally stray from the TV, "Tuesday, yeah Tuesday, I remember because I was on my way to buy some socks."
"Socks?" Frank asks somewhat amused, "Okay well, the last time I called her was Monday, so she was probably waiting for me to call back again and maybe-"
"Frank, don't get your hopes so high, you'll be fucking lucky if she even wants to still be friends with you."
"I know its a slim chance, but I-"
"Why are you setting yourself up for more disappointment?"
"I've gotta at least try and get rejected, or else I'll keep asking myself what could've been."
"This isn't going to end well." Gerard groans as Frank runs over to pick up the phone.

Frank starts to dial the phone then hangs up.
"You have to call her." he says grabbing Gerard's cell phone off the coffee table.
"Nu-uh." Gerard shakes his head, "I'm having nothing to do with this." Regardlessly, Frank punches Molly's number into his cellphone and shoves it into his hand, "Fuck you man."
"She's screening her calls."
"And for good reason." Gerard taunts.

"Uhh hi, Molly." Gerard stutters, "Yeah, well this is an interesting situation I'm in here . . .would you mind terribly talking to Frank? He's right here in front of me, and well he knows your screening your calls, and it would really mean a lot to him if you'd just talk to him. Alright, okay bye." Frank's heart falls for a moment as Gerard shuts his phone.
"Guess you-"
"call her from your own goddamn phone, I'm not running up my cell bill for your sad behind." Gerard grins.
"She wants to talk to me?!" Frank asks excitedly.
"Yeah, she wants to talk to you." Gerard laughs.
"Yes! YES! I told you so!" Frank says happily.
"So are you going to keep dancing like an idiot or are you going to fucking call her?"
"Right." Frank says picking up his phone.
"Listen, I gotta go meet Ali, so see you at studio later?"
"Yeah." Frank says distractedly as he dials Molly's phone number.

"Hey Frank." Molly says softly as she answers the phone.
"Hi." Frank says, just as his mind goes blank. He has so much to say, yet he can't muster up any words.

"Are you still there?"
"Ye-yeah." he stammers, "Its just been so long since I've heard your voice."
"I'm pretty sure Cynthia uploaded my band's music videos onto youtube you know." she jokes, but neither of them laugh.
"Uhh. I'm so sorry Molly, you have to believe me."
"I know." she sighs, "Its just, I've got this grudge complex."
"Please, give me another chance." Molly sighs again.
"I don't know." Molly mumbles, "I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, but this isn't exactly the best time to try to mend a relationship. Both our bands are in studio and I mean, seriously, its common knowledge that recording times are stressful and it ends relationships."
"I know, I know, but I'm crazy about you." he pleads, "When do you have a break?"
"Break?" Molly snorts, "I don't get a break, we're recording until Friday of next week, then we have two days before we going to do a bunch of promotional stuff for the album and-"
"Right." Frank murmurs, "There's always phones, we'll work our way to a visit."
"Now that you mention it, that would actually be much better." Molly states, "To be perfectly honest, I'm not ready to face you, but this, talking on the phone is actually quite nice."
"Okay." Frank says, somewhat disappointed, "I guess I'll take what I can get."