Iero Fiasco

A Really Long Chapter

Frank wakes up to the sound of an annoying infomercial selling The Little Giant Ladder. His dangling hand gropes the floor for the remote and he shuts off the TV. He figured that he and Molly must’ve fallen asleep watching the Haunting marathon the night before because she’s still snug asleep with her head on his chest. Some of her hair came loose from its ponytail causing soft curls to fall upon her face. He breathed in deeply, in a sort of half yawn and suddenly her eyes fluttered open.
“Good morning.” She says as she sits up, “Did I trap you?”
“Nah, I just woke up a second earlier.” Frank says tilting his head, “Your hair’s curly.”
“Erm, yeah, wavy actually, Ray there has curly hair, mine is wavy.” She corrects comically. Frank can’t help but laugh at her antics. Molly unties her hair then reties it so the curl will straighten out, “What time is it?”
“Eleven.” Frank sighs as he out-stretches his arms, “Gotta be at the church at one, but I’m supposed to go to my Dad’s place before.”
“Meaning, we should be getting ready?” Molly questions, he nods.
“Coffee first though.” He gets up and stretches for the second time, “Wanna go to Starbucks?”
“Gimme a minute.” Molly says springing up to her feet and going into the bedroom, she takes off her ratty gym shorts and buts on her army print skater shorts, a pair of socks and her chucks while Frank locates his shoes under the coffee table and puts them on.

“It’s only a block away, so we can walk.” Frank suggests as they head down the stairs, Molly nods. “Oh crap!” he hisses stopping in his step at the sight of the land lord’s daughter checking the mail.
“What?” Molly asks trying not to laugh at his twitchiness.
“That girl has a crush on me.”
“I have a crush on you.”
“But she’s annoying!” he hisses. Molly laughs into her hand as the young teenager goes back into her apartment.
“Coast is clear.” She giggles.

Frank composes himself and the two of them head out the door.
“So do you always dodge her in such spasticity?”
“Uhh no, usually she’s at school, but its summer now, I don’t know.”
“What about your other fans?”
“I love my fans, just she always stops me for some long conversation and stuff.” He lowers his voice, “And she undresses me with her eyes!”
“I’m sure.”

They walk hand in hand all the way to the Starbucks.
“We should be one of those really cheesy couples that make out in line and keep everyone waiting.” Molly jokes as they step into the establishment.
“I don’t like people watching me get my mojo on.”
“Your mojo?” she laughs, “are you serious?”
“Nah,” he laughs, “but I’d be a hypocrite if I kept ‘em all waiting.”

The line at the counter is fairly short and just as they’re about to step forward to order Molly places a quick kiss on Frank’s cheek. He turns to her and silently laughs.
“I couldn’t resist.” She says sheepishly. They order their coffees along with jumbo cinnamon buns.

“You’re lucky, Starbucks is right there.” Molly states as she takes a bite of her cinnamon bun on the way back to Frank’s apartment, “Then again there’s a pizza place across the street from my apartment.”
“But do they have buns?” Frank asks holding up his half eaten breakfast. Molly shakes her head.
“They do have poutine.”
“Poo-what?”
“Poutine, it’s only found in Quebec.” She starts, “They take French fries cover them in gravy and then dump a crack load of cheese on it.”
“Is that good?” Frank asks slowly as he puts his cup to his lips.
“Well it’s the leading cause the province’s heart attacks, but damn it’s good!” Molly exclaims, “The ultimate junk food.” Frank nods, “But cinnamon buns are good too.”

They head back up to the apartment and Frank goes to take a shower after chugging the remaining coffee in the paper cup. Molly looks into her open suitcase and pulls out her red, Marilyn Monroe style dress and spreads it out on the bed. She digs in the suitcase to find her fishnets and strappy black heels.

She undresses then pulls on her fishnets and slips on her dress. She liked this dress because she didn’t need to wear a bra. Just as she tied the dress up behind her neck Frank walked into the room with a towel around his waist and stopped just to look her over. She lets out a disgruntled sigh.
“Can you tie this, it’s aggravating the living hell out of me.” she turns her back to him and he ties up the red dress, “Thanks.”
“No problem.” Frank says as he goes to his closet. He pulls out his black suit along with a red button up shirt as Molly goes to her bag to get her eyeliner and hair brush.

After seeing there’s not mirror in the bedroom Molly heads to the washroom just as Frank starts to get dressed. She unties her hair and combs it straight and applies her black eyeliner, then heads back into the bedroom where Frank is tying a black neck tie.
“You don’t have an over-protective older sister do you?” Molly asks jokingly as she sits on the bed to put on her heels.
“Nah, just an older brother.” He laughs, “Why?”
“Once dated a guy in high school and when I went over to his house his sister gave me the third degree.”
“What do you mean?”
“She asked me all sorts of weird questions like if I actually like him or if I was just going out with him to be popular and shit like that.”
“Well no,” Frank chuckles, “They’ll like you, and even if they don’t they’ll pretend to like you.” she giggles, “Not wearing your chucks?” he jokes.
“Not today. I thought it would be kind of rude.”

Frank gets a pair of his one inch platform shoes out of the closet.
“Gonna make myself taller.” He says as he ties them up.
“By the magic of platforms.” Molly says in a fake announcer voice, “So what’s your brother’s name again?”
“Brian, and his wife-to-be is Hannah.”
“Brian and Hannah.” She repeats.
“Are you ready to go?”
“Yeah.” Molly replies as he puts on his sunglasses. Frank grabs his suit jacket and puts it over his arm.

They head down to his car and get in; he tosses his jacket in the backseat and starts the car.
“Damn its hot out.” he says turning on the air conditioning and driving off.
“Yeah, cause you’re in a suit thing.” Molly jokes.
“Maybe I should consider wearing a dress.”
“Maybe.” She laughs, “that would be interesting, very David Bowie of you.”

It’s only a matter of minutes before they arrive at a townhouse. They both get out of the car and Frank leads her up the front steps to the door. He knocks on the door before letting himself in. There’s a roar of excitement coming from the living room and Frank follows it with Molly’s hand in his. They find two young men and an older one sitting on the couch watching a soccer game.
“Frankie!” the older man calls, “About time you arrived.”
“Hey Dad,” Frank says stepping deeper into the room so Molly can follow, “This is my girlfriend Molly.” Molly gets a nice warm feeling inside at the thought of being Frank’s girlfriend.
“Nice to meet you Molly,” the older man says standing up and shaking her hand.
“Nice to meet you too.”
“Molly, this is my father George, that’s my brother Brian,” he points to the man to George’s right, “and his best man Tyler.”
“Hey you look like the chick from that band!” Tyler says pointing at her, “Ahh what’s is called?”
“What band?” George asks confused.
“She’s in a band Dad, called Warped Battery.” Frank says quickly.
“They sing New Anarchy.” Brian adds in.
“Is that the video with spray painting walls and where they set a statue on fire?”
“Yeah that’s the one.” Molly says blushing red with embarrassment.
“I like that song.” George says nodding.

Molly notices Brian rocking back and forth nervously.
“Sorry, I need a cigarette.” He says as he stands up and walks towards the back of the house. George nods at Frank to go follow his brother.
“I’ll be back in a bit.” Frank mumbles in Molly’s ear. Molly nods then goes to sit down on the sofa where Brian was sitting.

“So who’s playing?” she asks referring to the soccer game.
“Portugal versus England. Score is tied at one, one.” Tyler says bouncing in his seat.
“Awesome.” Molly says intrigued.
“You like soccer?” George asks interested.
“Only when Portugal plays, my grandparents are Portuguese.”
“Well we’re rooting for England.” George states maliciously.
“Portugal beat England for the past five years!”
“Yeah, England sucks.” Tyler say bummed out.
“I only have Portugal pride they win a soccer game, any other time I’m Canadian.”
“Oh you’re Canadian?” Tyler laughs, “Eh?”
“Don’t say ‘eh’ you sound like dumbass.” Molly states causing George to burst out laughing.

“How come no one told me it’s twelve-thirty already!” Brian yells as he runs back into the house and up the stairs.
“Hey dumbass, you should go get dressed too.” George says to Tyler. The best man grunts as he gets up off his seat and towards the stairs.
“I’m just going to see Frank.” Molly says awkwardly as she stands up and goes towards the back porch. She sees Frank tap his cigarette on the edge of an empty flower pot before putting it to his lips. She had forgotten that he smoked, she’d seen interviews of him where he was actually smoking but he didn’t smell like a smoker.

“Umm hey.” She says stepping outside.
“Hey.” He puts his free arm around her.
“How’s your brother holding up?”
“He’s just nervous.”

“There you are!” someone says from behind them. They both spin around to see a woman with her hair dyed a burgundy brown.
“Hey Mom.” Frank says as he goes to hug the woman.
“First of all, put out that cigarette, secondly where’s your jacket?” Frank chuckles as he stubs his cigarette out in the flower pot.
“My jacket’s in my car, honestly, its like a million degrees out.” the woman turns away from her son.
“You must be Frank’s new girlfriend Molly.” The older woman has a huge smile on her face.
“Yeah.” Molly says nervously, the older woman pulls her into a hug.
“I’m Linda.”
“Nice to meet you.” Molly says stepping back from the woman and closer to Frank.
“George tells me you’re also in a band.” Molly nods, “Well that’s great, I personally think there should be more girl bands in the industry.”
“Thanks.” Molly laughs.
“Where’s Brian?”
“He’s upstairs, changing.” Frank says pointing to the window above the porch. Linda looks at her watch and rolls her eyes.
“Does he know he has to be at the church in fifteen minutes?”
“I’m pretty sure he does, it’s his wedding after all.”

“Stop fretting Mom, I’m ready.” Brian calls from the doorway.
“Oh! I can’t believe my Brian’s getting married!” she squeals as she goes to hug her eldest son.
“Watch she’s going to cry.” Frank whispers in Molly’s ear.
“I need a tissue.” Linda says dabbing her eyes.
“Told you.”
“We should get going now.” Brian suggests as he pries himself from his mother’s arms.

At the church Frank and Molly go to sit at the front where the immediate family of the bride and groom are supposed to sit as the guests pile in.
“As a kid I hated weddings.” Molly whispers to her boyfriend, “After the bride walked up the isle and the music stopped I lost interest.” Frank chuckles, “I wasn’t as bad as my sister though, she’d actually dose off.”
“You have a sister?” Frank questions.
“Yeah, she’s fifteen, her name is Cynthia, guess I should tell you I have a brother too named Nate, he’s twenty-two.”
“Is he an over-protective brother?”
“No, not at all, we don’t meddle in each other’s lives.” Molly says simply, “Not really all that close, we’re too different.” She laughs quietly, “You wouldn’t believe the fights we’d get into as kids.”
“What like he stole my dolly?” Frank teases.
“More like fist fights at the dinner table as a result of name calling.”
“What about don’t hit a lady?”
“I started it.” Molly says smugly.
“Man beater!” Frank shrieks jokingly in a hushed voice as not to disturb the silence of the church.
“Nah, only Nate. I quit though, withdrawal was hard but, I stopped.”

The organ starts to play causing everyone in the church to fall silent. The priest, groom and best man come out of the side room and stand at the alter. The procession of the wedding is that of most traditional weddings, flower girl, maid of honor then finally the gorgeous blushing bride.

After the ceremony the wedding party and immediate family are asked by the photographer to head to the park across the street to take pictures. Seeing as Frank had to take some pictures with his brother Molly takes a seat on a shady park bench as she watches the families happily taking pictures. A butch guy in a black suit and shirt comes to sit next to her.
“Bride’s side or groom’s side?” he asks her casually.
“Groom’s side.”
“Bride’s side, I’m Jonas by the way.”
“I’m Molly.”
“So are you his cousin or something?”
“I’m dating his brother.”
“Oh.” Jonas says clearing his throat awkwardly, “Kind of short ain’t he?”
“I don’t mind.” Molly says gruffly, “Macho stereotypes are over-rated don’t you think?”
“Whatever keeps you happy honey.”
“Puh-lease don’t call me honey.” She rolls her eyes.
“Touchy are we?” Jonas chortles.
“So how do you know the bride?” Molly huffs as she crosses her arms, knowing there was no getting rid of this guy.
“I’m her step-brother.” He says scratching the back of his neck, “So what do you see in ol’ Frankie anyway?”
“Well he loves music as much as I do,” she starts, Jonas bites his lower lip, “He’s positively charming, funny, well do I have to list the fact that he’s hot? We’re both kinda dorky.”
“You’re not dorky.” Jonas says calmly.
“Yeah, only because you’ve only been talking to me for a two minutes.” Molly sighs, “Now if you don’t mind please stop trying to hit on me.”
“Hey, hey, hey who says I’m trying to hit on you.” Jonas says waving his hands.

The photography excuses everyone except the bride and groom so Frank walks up to the bench where Molly’s sitting and arguing with Jonas.
“Everything okay?” he asks Molly.
“Yeah.” She says glaring at Jonas.
“Fuck that, he can have you all he wants.” Jonas storms off.
“What was that all about?” Frank asks as he takes a seat.
“He kept hitting on me, even after I said I was with you.”
“Yeah, he has an ego problem.” Frank sighs as he puts his arm around her shoulders, “Not to worry, he’ll find someone else to hit on in about five minutes.” Molly tilts her head and stares into Frank’s comforting eyes before leaning forward and kissing his sweet lips.

The wedding party ends up spending a good couple of hours in the park taking pictures of everyone in different combinations and in different settings.
“Doesn’t differ much from band photo shoots.” Molly jokes, “Except there are more people to photograph.”
“True.” The photographer starts to pack up his gear and people start heading to their cars, “I guess we should be heading the hall now.”

They get up and go back to Frank’s car where he immediately takes off his suit jacket and tosses it in the back seat.
“I’m really considering a dress right about now.” Frank smirks as he starts up the car, and starts to follow the limousine and other cars going to the hall.
“Don’t halls have air conditioning?” Molly says smiling optimistically.
“Yeah.” He says pulling at his tie a bit, “I’m dying.” Molly giggles into her hand as Frank readjusts the air conditioning settings of the car.

They arrive at the hall and head inside before the whole wedding procession. They, along with the parents and siblings of the newly weds go to take their seats.
“Welcome the new Mr and Mrs Iero!” the deejay calls into the mic, the doors swing are opened and Brian and Hannah walk triumphantly into the hall while all the guests cheer.

A couple of thirteen, maybe fourteen year old girls go up to the honor table after the meal, while everyone was dancing. Frank had just left to use the washroom.
“Hi.” The taller one says to Molly.
“Hey.”
“You’re Frank’s new girlfriend Molly?” the shorter one asks.
“Yeah.”
“Are you Molly Fiasco?” the shorter one asks nearing her face a bit.
“Yeah.”
“OH! Told you!” she exclaims to the taller one, “I’m Melanie and this is my sister Nancy, we’re huge fans of yours.” Molly can’t help but smile at the excited teenagers.
“We’re Frank’s cousins.” Nancy, the taller one says, “And I think it’s really cool that you’re dating him. Its like Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. Well without the hard core drugs, suicide, trashiness and well you guys are brunettes not blonds.”

Frank walks back into the hall and rolls his eyes at the sight of his younger cousins pestering Molly. He overhears Melanie ask the question,
“So can we have your autograph?”
“If it isn’t The Super Twin Team.” He says crossing his arms smugly. His cousins turn around slowly.
“Hi Frankie.” Nancy says sheepishly, “We were just-“
“Just bugging people?”
“I wouldn’t say bugging.” Melanie gibbers, Molly just bursts out laughing.
“Ah c’mon Frank, stop being such a hard ass.” Molly laughs.
“Leave my buns-of-steel out of this.” Frank says trying not to laugh at his own joke, “Where have you been the past two weeks? I want Mongrel and Tracker back.”
“We went to Florida, on vacation.” Melanie says proudly.
“What’s Mongrel and Tracker?” Molly asks turning her head quickly between the cousins.
“They’re my dogs; they take care of them when I’m away.”
“Which is like all the time.” Melanie says rolling her eyes, “They’re practically our dogs now.”
“So can I pick them up tomorrow or what?” Frank asks crossing his arms.
“Awe, okay.” Nancy sighs.

“Now this song is for all the ladies, come on up to the dance floor!” the deejay says smoothly into the microphone.
“C’mon Molly, come dance with us.” Melanie insists as she grabs her hand.
“Umm no, I rather sit this one out.” Molly says trying to pull free, “I’m not much of a dancer.”
“C’mon.” Nancy persists.
“Oh fine.” Molly says rolling her eyes. She follows the teenage girls to the dance floor and starts dancing with them.

Frank watches Molly with slight fascination as she moves to the steady beat of the music, letting the rhythm take her. Her body swaying gracefully, her hips shifting right on cue with the music, almost mesmerizing. The song ends and he watches as she parts with his younger cousins and walks back to him.
“So you do dance.” Frank comments.
“Uhh, not really.”
“You dance better than the rest of them.”
“Fine you caught me, I took dance in high school.” Molly pouts, “We had to take an extra course and basically my choices were dance, computer science or accounting.”
“So was it like the pep squad or something?” Frank teases.
“Yeah actually, that’s why I didn’t fit in all that well.” Molly says looking down at your feet and Frank realizes this.
“Well, I used to get beaten up in school, actually got shoved in my locker a few times, being so short and all.” He says trying to make her feel better, “What did they do to you?”
“For most of the course I was really off beat and clumsy so basically the people in back of me would laugh their heads off then there were these two girls who had had it in for me since the start of high school, they’d push me against the wall or at other people in the class. Let’s just say when I had dance class I’d say I was suffering from cramps.”
“You wouldn’t believe how many times I faked sick in the ninth grade.” Frank says shrugging, “Regardless of your high school years, you’d a good dancer now.”
“Thanks.” She says blushing.

“You know what, I can’t believe I found you hot.” Jonas slurs much later in the evening after way too many drinks, “I mean, if I look at you like this I can see down your dress but you don’t have much.” Molly stood up pissed off, not sure what she was going to do, Frank was already one step ahead of her and staring down the bruit.
“Jonas, maybe you should go outside.” Tyler suggests as he pulls on Jonas’s shoulder.
“Leave me alone!” he exclaims. This calls the attention of Brian and Hannah. Brian’s eyes bulge the size of tennis balls and Hannah puts her face in her hands hoping her drunk step brother would disappear before making an even bigger scene, “For your sake I hope she fucks the like a tiger.” He says to Frank.
“C’mon.” Frank says Jonas, “We’ll hash this out outside.”

Tyler pulls on Jonas’s oversized arm and Frank walks behind them as they leave the hall.
“Frank no, don’t.” Molly says worriedly, Jonas was twice Frank’s size.
“It’s okay.” Frank reassures her. Molly can’t help but follow the procession, so does Tyler’s girlfriend.

Tyler sits Jonas down on the sidewalk.
“Listen man, you don’t want to ruin your sister’s wedding, so just cool it okay?”
“She’s my step sister.” Jonas slurs, he points to Frank “And this pretty boy has been pissing me off since the day we met.”
“What does that have to do with Molly?” Tyler asks trying to keep eye contact with the drunk.
“Because he has her, and I want her and he’s already-“ he trails off, “The day we met he drank my last beer, he’s always getting what he wants.” Tyler’s girlfriend can’t help but laugh at how childish Jonas is acting.
“Listen man, I’ll buy you a six pack tomorrow, okay?” Frank asks trying not to smirk like a mad man.
“Yeah but- I wanna go home.” Jonas grumbles, “Where’s my keys?”
“How about we call you a taxi?” Frank suggests.
“I don’t want a goddamn taxi!” Jonas yells as he staggers to his feet, “And I don’t like your voice!”

“I’ll drive you home!” Tyler says quickly, “Let’s go.” He leads Jonas away towards the parking lot.
“You better watch your back!” He yells once more. Molly, Frank and Tyler’s girlfriend return back to the party without saying a word.

“Is everything okay?” Brian asks worriedly.
“Tyler is driving Jonas home.” Tyler’s girlfriend explains.
“I’m so sorry.” Hannah says to Molly and Frank, “He just got dumped last week and he likes liquor a little too much and-I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay.” Molly says carefully, “It’s not your fault. I hope your evening wasn’t ruined.”
“Nah, most everyone left already.” She says motioning the dying party consisting of only about twenty people, and the waiters were already cleaning up the floor, “I’m thinking we should call it a night.”

Shortly after Frank and Molly left.
“Besides the last twenty minutes, I had fun.” She says smiling tiredly.
“Yeah?” he glances at her, she nods.
“Your cousins are so funny, they told me how they’d catch you air guitaring in front of the mirror.” She laughs.
“They told you that huh?” he says chuckling, “What else did they tell you?”
“Uh well that you used to lock them in closets.”
“I did that once, and that’s because they were tampering with my comic books.” Molly can’t help but explode with laughter.