The Nightmare

Nightmares inplace of reality...

The show was over for another night. Crew and band alike, were running around the backstage area in preparation for the momentous event, about to take place. The fans, flowing out of the main arena, like blood flowing through an artery, with no clue as to what was going on.

Gerard stood in his dressing room, fixing his tie and smoothing his mop of raven hair. Staring at his reflection, he smiled.
“I'm getting married.” He said to himself, happy in the fact that he had met someone to share his life with. There was a knock at the door and he turned quickly, as he heard the handle click.

“So, you’re gonna do this, huh?” Mikey, his younger brother and best friend asked him. His smile was one of pure excitement, for not long ago, Mikey had done the deed himself with Alicia. “You ready?”
“Born ready, Mikes” Gerard replied, checking himself once more before turning fully and walking over to give his brother one more embrace before the real show began.

“Okay, well…Bob is doing great at getting everybody to their seats, Ray is setting up the music and Frank…well… Frank will be here. Let’s do this!” Mikey sighed, resolutely.

“Lets go.”

Staunchly, Gerard walked out of the room, the nerves building up in the pit of his stomach. All he could think of was the years he had spent telling people he would never get married and just a few years on, here he was, about to bite the proverbial bullet. But that was when he was young and more importantly an addict. He had never thought he’d make it to thirty, let alone be marrying the love of his life; the person who had saved him- not just from his addictions, but from himself.

Frank…

The wedding set up had been planned to the last detail. Rose petals lay scattered on the worn threads of carpet through the maze of rooms, while candles were lit and flickering in the dimness of Wembley Arena‘s backstage area.

With Mikey behind him, Bob, Ray and James awaiting him at the altar, Gerard stopped as he reached them and turned to survey the crowd. He looked to his parents, smiling, as his mother delicately dabbed at her eyes with a tissue and his father beamed at his sons with pride. Alicia, Christa and Kaitlin, on the other side of the room, were quietly chattering on while looking at their men. Brian, their manager and his wife, CJ, sat taking everything in, next to Worm and Jerry. Other friends and crew were dotted around, be it seated or standing, to await the arrival of Gerard’s life partner.

“You got the rings?” He said, turning to Mikey, who in turn reached into his tux pocket and pulled out the black velvet box that encased the platinum rings which would bound Gerard to his lover forever…right to the end.
“Right here, Gee. Just relax.”

Suddenly on James’ command, the room fell deathly quiet and Ray pressed a button, so that the traditional Bridal March began to filter through a boom box, set up in the corner.

A vision in white, began the descent through the people in the room. Already the smell of blood red roses was intoxicating the groom, taking him to heady heights. Everything turned to slow motion, as his ’Bride’…Frankie, walked up the aisle, entrancing him.

After what seemed like an eternity, his ‘Bride’ had finally reached him and a white laced glove took his hand, squeezing it gently. Gerard could not see Frank’s face, but was still in awe of his beauty.
Frank had decided to wear a white suit, with a blood red tie, but being as he also loved a joke, he had worn a veil, which had amused Gerard no end, but left him dismayed as he wouldn’t be able to see Frank’s intense green eyes, full pouting lips and his crooked smile, as Gerard said the words he thought he would never speak.

“Gerard, do you take Elizabeth Siep to be your lawfully wedded wife; to love, honour and obey, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live?” James said slowly.

Confusion struck Gerard straight away…“What? James don’t you mean Frank?…” He laughed it off and carried on. James thought this kinda shit was funny…just a joke; he‘s accidentally on purpose messed up Alicia‘s vows too.
Gerard glanced over at Frank briefly and caught a glimpse of his eyes under the thick white material.

“And Eliza, do you take Gerard Arthur Way to be all the things he said he’ll be for you?” James smiled and his words received a flutter of laughter from the congregation.

“James that’s not funny, dude!” Gerard was irritated now. Annoyed at James’ intent on messing up the most important day of his life. But James ignored Gerard’s words and the ceremony continued.

“I do”, the ’Bride’ replied. Gerard noted the change in Frank’s voice and attributed it to the emotions that were running high.
With that, rings were exchanged and love pulsed from every orifice in Gerard’s body. He was finally at one. United with the Ying to his Yang.

“Thank fuck!…Well, by the power vested in me, thanks to some website,” The Priest of three months explained to the giggling crowd, “I now pronounce you husband and wife! You may now kiss the bride!” He beamed at the couple.

“What the hell James? What’s wrong with you?” Gerard half yelled, but still, he was ignored.

The room erupted into applause and Gerard gingerly turned his body to what he thought was Frank’s, lifting the veil gently. Mikey, Bob, Ray and James looked on as the patrons in that small backstage room, inhaled with anticipation.

Suddenly the veil swept upward to reveal Eliza, not Frank.

Gerard stepped back and screamed with shock, as Eliza let out a witch like cackle. Her deep set blue eyes turning black and cold…almost lifeless. They were larger then usual and protruded outwards, like one of those Roswell Aliens; her pallor grey and the stench that emitted from her open mouth, attacked his gag reflex.

Gerard’s breath caught in his throat, as her shrill laughter rang through his ears. He watched her teeth grow jagged and sharp in her menacing smile. Her hair writhed on her head and Gerard was repulsed, as a snake crept from under the veil and hissed at him.

“Your mine forever now!” She screeched.

“No…NO…NOOOO!” Gerard wailed, as the room broke out in hysterical laughter “Where’s my Frank?”

“What’s the matter Gerard? Don’t you love me?” She sing-song’d back at him, placing a hand on his shoulder to which he shrugged off like he was being burnt alive by her touch.

“What have you done with Frank?” He yelled, getting more scared with every passing second. “Where is he?”

“That doesn’t matter now.” She danced around him, the snakes saying to every syllable uttered from her venomous lips. “You have me and I’m gonna cut hair and you’ll sing and we’ll be together.” She had now removed her lace gloves to reveal scaled hands with long black talons. “I told you I always get what I want. You should have believed me.”

“Bob! Ray!…Mikey!…” He called to his best friends, but they stood idly by, with nonchalant smiles etched on their faces. “Help me?! Where’s FRANK?!” But still, there was nothing.

In a sequence of events taken out of a B-grade Horror movie, Gerard turned and ran to the exit, but was flanked by the now baying crowd. People to the left chanting “She wants you!” and people to right of him talking at him, saying “It was always her Gerard.” Their words becoming sinister and pricking him like thousands of tiny pins…clawing at his face with his hands, he fell to his knees; no longer able to take the pain he was feeling.

“Frank!…FRANK! FRANKIEEEEEE!”

“He’s gone, baby. And now you’re mine…All mine…” Eliza said venomously, her laughter growing still and her chest heaving as she wailed like a banshee.

Gerard banged on the door calling Frank’s name, as the swell of his loved ones bore down on him, their angry voices and heavy bodies, engulfing him in darkness.

***

“Gee…baby...Are you okay?” Frank’s voice danced softly across Gerard’s cheek as he stirred from a fitful night terror.

“Frank?…I-I…” Gerard sat bolt upright in the bed and surveyed his surroundings; a hotel room in London…a black tux and a white suit thrown carelessly over a chair, the television blurring with white noise. He relaxed a little as he felt his forehead, now clammy from a cold sweat. Reaching for Frank, he sighed and pulled him into a hug.

“What, Gee? You were calling me. Are you okay?” Frank immediately wove his hands into Gerard’s hair knowingly, as he had done this a thousand times before.

“Just a bad dream…I’m okay now you’re here” He whispered his response gently, into Franks tawny locks.

“Where else would I be, but with you?!” Frank chuckled, as Gerard eyed the wedding band that encircled his own ring finger. “You’re my husband”.