Status: indefinite hiatus

Consciousness and Confidence

Chapter 4

"So, where did you learn to dance like that?" Brian asked from the driver's seat.

I was sitting in the passenger's seat, looking out the window and pouting, as I watched the houses pass me by. "Shut up, Brian." I muttered.

There was a reason I hated him. He annoyed the shit out of me all the time. He always ruined my fun, no matter how small it was. I swear it was like he had a sixth sense that knew where ever I was, that I was happy and he just had to destroy it.

"No need to get pissy, Ryyan. I was just making conversation." He replied, obviously a bit annoyed.

For some reason, I just snapped. I had enough of his bologna and antics. "Just stop talking to me! You ruin everything in my life." I shouted.

Suddenly, the car came to a halt, and Brian was glaring at me from his seat. "Get out of my car." he growled. I glared at him as I unbuckled my seatbelt and threw open the door.

"See you in three months, asshole." I muttered before hopping out and slamming the door behind me. I watched as he sped off the curb and into the night, the sound of his tires squealing behind him.

I shook my head and attempted to read the street signs infront of me. Ridgeway Avenue. Oh, thank god I was only a few blocks away from my house.

Slowly and a bit painfully from my shoes, I began to walk my way back to my home, silently praying that my parents wouldn't be awake when I returned. But, then again, it was only ten thirty at night. Of course they would be awake.

As I was continuing my heated march home, I accidentally tripped over a crack in the cement and went hurtling toward the ground. "Ouch!" I yelled as my ass hit the hard ground. I noticed a few lights flicking on in neighboring houses. Quickly, I picked myself up and began walking again.

When I reached an intersection two blocks away from my house, a flash of a car light behind me appeared. I turned to see a familiar black truck that had recently sped away from me. I huffed and turned back around.

"Ryyan!" I heard Brian call from inside the car. I turned to see slowly driving at the same pace I was walking. "Come back in. I'll drive you the rest of the way."

"No thanks, Brian. I can walk." I sneered. He sighed loudly.

"Come on. You brother will kill me if he found out I kicked you out of my car." So that was the reason why he wanted to bring me back. He had a better chance of persuading my brother to kiss him than for me to actually get into that car with him.

"Good!" I yelled. "He should murder you. That way I won't have to deal with you ever again."

"Just get in!" he yelled back, and I flipped him off. "Please?"

I stopped walking and looked at him. "Brian, just go away. I won't tell him you didn't drive me the whole way. Just leave me the fuck alone"

"Alright" he agreed.

"Forever." I added at the end. He looked skeptically at me for a second but agreed none the less.

I smiled at him. "Good. In that case, have a nice life Brian Haner. I won't be seeing you around."

Joyously I skipped the rest of the way home, finally happy that I would never have to deal with Brian and his annoying attitude ever again.