Status: indefinite hiatus

Consciousness and Confidence

Chapter 6

The plane ride home was sad, to say the least. I had such a good time with MJ, it seemed like nothing could possibly make me feel any better. Not to mention, I had the daunting feeling about another year of school starting up in the next few days.

The only good that can come out of going back home is that I got to put my new found lifestyle to use. Yeah, I hadn't partied since I was in Huntington Beach, but I had MJ for moral support. Now, I'm off on my own, surrounded by friends who find no other enjoyment besides waking up hungover every weekend, desperate to piece together what they had done in the past alcohol-hazed hours.

I was nervous I would get pressured back into that kind of life again. I didn't want it. Maybe Matt would help me. Oh, who was I kidding, he would do anything to make sure I wasn't going to parties.

Speaking of my lovely brother, I spotted his familiar tattooed arms and muscular frame from a distance as I was stepping off the runway. He was wearing his aviator sunglasses, as usual, but I could still tell from his body language that he was looking around for me.

I attempted to subtly jump and and wave to get his attention, however I didn't really figure that there was no subtle way to jump up and down while waving. As I was gaining funny looks from my fellow plane passengers, I managed to catch Matt's attention.

"Ryyan?" he called out, walking a bit closer to make sure it was me.

I smiled, and quickly walked over to meet him, before he took me in his arms and gave me a large hug. "Hey Matt." I greeted, still in his arms. "How have you been?"

"Good. How was the flight?" I shrugged, after pulling away from him.

"Five and a half hours of musical bliss." He laughed, while tugging my arm.

"Let's go get your luggage and go home." he suggested. I agreed, a feeling of being home sick washing over me. It was then that I finally realized, as much as I loved being in the city with MJ, I missed my home more.

"I miss home." I told him, while following the signs that would lead us to baggage claim.

"Did you miss me?" Matt asked, giving me a playful sad look.

I giggled at him, and gave him a sideways hug. "Suprisingly, yes." He looked at me with an offended expression. "What?" I asked. "I said I missed you. Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Suprisingly" he clarified in a gruff tone. "You didn't expect to miss me at all?"

By now we had reached the conveyor belt, and the luggage had just already begun to travel around. I looked for any sight of my black suitcase, that Jimmy had so happily volunteered to spray paint 'A7x' all over it, without my permission. I had yet to see it.

"I just thought that I wouldn't have because I was expecting you to be upset with me all summer for telling you all of those things." I explained finally seeing my graffitied bag coming around. Matt noticed it also, and grabbed it effortlessly and placed it by my side.

"I'll admit I was a bit angry for a couple days but, then I was just happier that you decided to be honest with me instead of lying." He sent me a smile that made me feel even better to be back. "I also was very glad to hear you say that you're going to stop your partying ways."

"Me too." I agreed. "Although, I'm going to need your help."

A cool breeze hit the both of us as we exited the automatic doors of the airport. "No problem." Matt reassured me. Thankfully, I let out a sigh. I continued walking a few more steps until I realized that Matt had stopped walking completely. I turned around to see him a few paces back, looking around.

"Come on, Matt. You need to show me where the car is."

He shook his head. "I didn't drive here. Brian did. I just can't seem to spot his car."

Suddenly, the good feelings that had previously filled my entire body drained. Brian. Brian Haner? Of course it would be him. Matt wouldn't talk so casually about anyone else but him. I huffed a bit. What happened to our deal? I wasn't suppose to interact with him ever again.

Giving him the benifit of the doubt, I just assumed Matt forced him to come along. "Why did you make him come too?" I asked, the annoyance unable to be hidden.

"I didn't. He offered."

Anger bubbled inside me. Brian was a filthy liar.
♠ ♠ ♠
Once again, it's a filler.
But the next one should be better. Promise!