Beautiful Insanity

Beautiful Insanity (3)

I got into my car and started my little baby up.

“Hello, sweetheart,” I cooed. I love this car.

I turned the stereo on and Kanye West’s Love Lockdown came blasting out of the little speakers.

“Augh!” I yelled, none of that music this morning. I plugged in my iTrip and turned on my little yellow iPod, I turned on Fight! Fight! Fight! and started to pull out of my driveway.

“Katie!”

I looked to the source of the noise to find my neighbor, Spencer, waving like a wild man to get my attention.

I rolled down my window, “Hey Spence, what’s up?”

“Oh thank God, Katie, do you think you can give me a ride? I missed my bus and then my parents already left and the other car’s in the shop and—“

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, calm down and get in, bub.”

“Thankyouthankyouthankyou.”

Spencer was 15 and very nervous. He’d had a crush on me for ages, which always made him very tongue-tied and nervous around me. It was very flattering. He had light brown hair and a splash of little freckles across his nose that kept him looking innocent. His big brown eyes made him have a striking resemblance to Bambi. He was tall, but he obviously was just realizing that he towered over everyone.

I started driving again and he jabbered away about his English teacher and his trip to Colorado in the spring. I nodded and “uh-huh”-ed at the right times so he knew I was paying attention.

As I turned into the parking lot of our school, something big and white flashed in front of the car.

“Ah!” I screamed, slamming on the brakes.

“Whoa, Katie. Are you okay?” Spencer looked at me with concern.

“Did you see that? God, what was it? Did you see it, Spence? Fuck, did I hit it?”

“Katie, what are you talking about? There’s nothing there,” said Spencer warily.

“Well, it’s not there anymore, but it just, like, zoomed in front of the freaking car! I could’ve hit whatever it was, shit.”

“Katie, there wasn’t anything there. I was looking straight forwards and nothing went in front of the car, are you okay?” asked Spencer, worried now.

“Are you sure? God, I could’ve sworn…” What was it? I know something was there…

“Yeah, I’m positive, let’s go park, okay?”

“Okay, sorry about that, Spence. Haven’t had my coffee this morning, obviously,” I laughed, brushing off Spencer’s concerned eyes.

“Haha, yeah, okay,” he laughed too, relieved that I had come to my senses.