Sequel: Worth Waiting For

It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On

Worth Waiting For

Image

Near the end of July we were repeating California. I had called my mother letting her know we’d be in the area. She wanted me to come over Friday night for dinner. Thursday night Joe, Lauren, Kevin, Nick and I had a movie night in Joe and Kevin’s room. Joe and I sat together in a chair while the other three sat on a couch. Contrary to that night in Florida, Joe and I still hadn’t made anything official. We still hadn’t kissed again since that night. He was getting frustrated with me.

“Well, that was fun, but I think someone is ready for bed.” Joe said, walking me to the door. I rolled my eyes but leaned into his body more, I was very tired.

“Goodnight guys.” I mumbled waving to the others, my eyes half closed.

“I’ll be there in a few.” Lauren said.

“’Night,” Joe said, leading me into the hallway. We walked down to mine and Lauren’s room and he opened the door and led me in. I grabbed my pajamas and changed in the bathroom while he sat on the bed to wait for me. When I walked back out I saw he had his head in his hands, his elbows resting on his knees.

“Joe,” I said softly. He looked up at me… he wasn’t smiling. He always smiled when he looked at me. “Joe, what’s wrong?” I asked sitting next to him.

“How long are you going to pretend that there isn’t something between us?” he asked.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“It’s been weeks since Florida and yet here we are. Still friends and nothing more… I really thought that after that night you would have agreed to something but you haven’t said anything! I’m starting to get really confused here Lyss!”

“What’s there to be confused about?” I asked, raising my voice a bit; all thoughts of sleeping peacefully tonight slipping from my mind.

“Do you want to be with me?” he asked, his eyes searching mine sadly. I hesitated; of course I want to be with him. I just… I can’t even explain. “Lyss?”

“Well yes but…”

“No Lyss! No buts about it! It’s either you do or you don’t.” he shouted, standing up. “You know what, I’ll let you sleep and I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight.”

“Joe,” I pleaded.

He didn’t even turn around to look at me. He just closed the door behind him. I immediately felt the tears make their way down my face. I crawled into bed and pulled the covers over me and buried my face in my pillow. I didn’t fall asleep at all. When Lauren came in I pretended to be asleep but I know she could hear me sobbing. He left without doing our ritual. Every night he would tuck me in and kiss my forehead and wish me sweet dreams. And every night I would have sweet dreams. Not now, not tonight…

****

The next morning I sat up in bed at the first moment I saw light shine in the closed curtains. I looked at the clock, 6:30 a.m. Seven and a half hours since Joe left the room. I didn’t fall asleep at all. I quietly slipped out of bed so I wouldn’t disturb Lauren and took a shower that would hopefully keep me awake and got dressed. I decided to eat in the hotel’s restaurant this morning since it was still too early for anyone else to be up.

“One?” the woman at the podium asked.

“Yes please.” I said.

“Right this way,” she said, grabbing me a menu and leading me to a small table by the window.

“Thank you,” I said as she handed me the menu. Pancakes… they always make me feel better. A few minutes later a figure appeared blocking the sunlight from in front of me and I looked up to see a guy around my age. He was blonde… pretty cute and I smiled slightly at him.

“Hi, I’m Seth. I’ll be your waiter this morning. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Actually I’m ready to order.”

“Alright, let’s hear it,” he said, grabbing his pen and smiling at me.

“I’ll have a cup of tea with some lemon and a short stack of pancakes.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back with your tea.”

“Thank you,” I said, handing him my menu.

While I waited I looked around. The restaurant wasn’t crowded at all but then again it was just about 7:30 in the morning. I looked towards the podium at the entrance and saw a familiar head of dark hair make his way in and be seated at a table a few down from mine. I frowned and looked down at my hands on the table.

“Here’s your tea.” Seth said, placing it down in front of me.

“Thank you,” I said, not looking up at him and stirring my spoon around the hot liquid.

“Hey, are you okay? You seem upset.” he said, sitting down across from me.

“I’m fine, just had a rough night.” I said, looking up and over at Joe. He was looking at his menu and I looked back at Seth. “Aren’t you supposed to be working?”

“You’re the only customer in my section. I have some time for chit chat.” He said smiling at me. He sure had a nice smile. “So, your pancakes won’t be ready for another fifteen minutes or so. I’m all ears.”

I laughed and smiled at him. I guess I laughed a little loudly because Joe looked up and his gaze caught mine. I stared at him for a second before turning to Seth. I told him all about my situation and nodded behind him to Joe. He casually glanced over his shoulder. Joe was glaring in our direction. I guess he had had enough because he stood up and made his way over.

“I… think I should check on your pancakes.” Seth said, standing up and quickly exiting before Joe had fully reached us.

“What the hell is going on Lyss?” he asked.

“What do you mean Joe?”

“Why are you flirting with that guy?”

“I was not flirting with him!”

“Yeah, sure…”

“Joseph Adam Jonas, you listen to me,” I hissed. “That guy saw that I looked upset about something and so he offered to listen to my problems. He was being nice, alright?”

“Here you go,” Seth said, placing my plate in front of me and warily glancing at Joe.

“Now, excuse me Joseph but I would like to eat my breakfast… in peace.”

Joe stood there staring at me. Then he looked up at Seth who was still standing there awkwardly and glared.

“Lyss, come on…” he said.

“Joe, please. Just for once… listen to me.”

“Listen man, I think you should go.” Seth said interjecting now.

“Butt out!” Joe said to the guy. “What, you talk with her for ten minutes and then you feel like you have to defend her?”

“Joe, stop it! He’s just trying to get you to leave me alone since you won’t listen to me when I ask you to!”

“You know Lyss, I knew you were indecisive about things but this is getting ridiculous. I don’t know how much longer I can handle it. I’ll see you later.”

I stared after him as he walked back to his table.

****

I avoided Joe for the rest of the day. There was no way I was going to talk to him after that. See how he feels. I left to go to my parents’ house for dinner, telling Lauren not to remind Joe that that’s where I’d be. On my way there I made a coffee run and by the time I got there I was pretty much out. I gulped down the last bit and stood in front of the door, wondering where to put my empty cup. If I walked in that house with an empty coffee cup in hand my mother would start with questions and I didn’t want that to happen so I shoved it in my purse. I reached for the doorbell but before I could ring it, the door opened.

“You’re late,” she said, standing in front of me looking all pristine.

“How did you do that?” I asked in awe.

“What?”

“Answer the door before I even rang the bell.”

“I thought I heard something, I came to the door, you were there.” She said. “Come in please.”

“You thought you heard something?” I asked, taking off my coat and handing it and my purse to my mother.

“Yes.”

“Mom, that door is like, ten feet thick.” I stated.

“So?”

“Well, so, it wasn’t like I was standing out there with a band of jackals. I was just drinking coffee.”

“Melissa, what is it that you want to hear? That I was standing by the window staring out at the driveway waiting to pounce the moment you arrived?” she asked, rolling her eyes.

“Yes, because believe it or not, that would be less creepy.”

“Get yourself a drink please.” She said, taking my coat and purse to put on the coat rack. I walked into the sitting room to find my father seated on the couch reading a newspaper.

“Hey, Dad.”

“Melissa.” He said, acknowledging me without looking up from his paper.

“Sorry I’m late. I had a long day and lost track of time.’

“Mhm.”

“So, um, how are you feeling?”

“Oh, I’m fine.”

“Yeah? Good, good. I’m fine too.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Oh God, Mom has gone a little crazy with the figurines here.” I said, picking up one of the little glass animals. “A little Cathy Bates, huh? Although, you probably haven’t seen Misery, which is a good thing.”

“Oh what have you done now?” he asked as he heard me knock most of the figurines over.

“Nothing… I just, well, I’m putting the bunny back with his little friends and I just sort of massacred them a little bit but that’s life in the jungle isn’t it?”

“Just, sit down. Please.”

“Okay, sorry.” I said making sure they were all standing before sitting on the other couch.

“Just sit with your hands in your lap.”

“Sorry.”

“And I’m trying to read. So please, just be quiet and try not to break anything else.” He said.

“So, are we having a nice chat?” my mother asked, walking into the room and sitting next to my father.

“Yeah, we’re having a great conversation me and Maury.” I joked.

“Excuse me?”

“Nothing… I was going to get a drink. I’m going to get right on that.” I said, standing up and walking over to the drink cart. I pulled out a wine glass and a bottle of white wine. Just as I was about to open the bottle the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get that.” Mom said, standing up.

“Can I freshen up your drink Dad?”

“No thank you. One drink before dinner is quite enough.”

“Right, sorry.” I said, turning back to pour my drink when my mother walked back in.

“I had no idea it was so close.” She said; her arm linked with a guy who looked around my age. A bit creepy looking might I add.

“Absolutely, right around the corner...” he said.

“Well what a small world. Oh, Melissa, I’d like you to meet Tom Bradford.”

“Hey,” I said, shaking his hand.

“Hi,”

“He was just telling me that he actually grew up right around the corner from here.”

“Oh really?” I asked, completely uninterested.

“Stone house on the corner.”

“Oh, the one with the Dobermans?”

“That’s right. Leopold and Lobe. Though I’m afraid they’ve passed on quite a few years ago.” He said, looking extremely sad about it.

“Postman finally got organized, huh?” I said, laughing at my joke. My mother and Tom just stared at me.

“Uh, Tom, this is my husband, Clark.”

“How do you do?” my father asked, standing up.

“Fine, Clark. Just fine.”

“Uh, please sit down.” Mom said, pointing to the couches and chairs.

“Marie, I didn’t know we were having company for dinner.” My father said low enough for only my mother and I to hear as Tom took a seat.

“Oh well it was just sort of a spur of the moment thing. Tom’s mother and I are in the D.A.R. together and he just moved back to California and it just seemed like a nice idea.”

“Yes, very nice.” I said sarcastically.

“Uh, Tom, can I get you a drink?” Dad asked.

“Scotch, neat.”

“Uh, Glennfiddich?”

“Fine. So, Melissa, your mother’s told me all about you.” He said, turning to face me. He gave me an insanely creepy smile that sent chills up and down my spine.

“Really?”

“Yes,” he said slowly.

“Mom, could I talk to you for a minute?” I asked, snapping my head in her direction.

“Melissa we have company.”

“It’ll just take a second, really.’

“But…”

“Come on, it’ll be fun.” I said, standing up. “Excuse us. We’re just going to have a spur of the moment conversation.” I said walking behind my mother into the kitchen.

“You’re pushing me.” She said.

“Is this a set up?” I asked.

“What?”

“Uh, California Ken in there. Is he my invited escort for the evening?”

“Melissa, his mother is a friend of mine.”

“And?” I pressed her.

“He just moved back here. He doesn’t know anyone.”

“And?” I asked again.

“And I thought he would enjoy meeting you.”

“Aha!” I exclaimed, pointing my finger at her.

“Put that finger down. It just seemed like a good opportunity.”

“Mom, thank you for the thought but I can get my own men.” I said. She laughed.

“Really?”

“Yes really.”

“I must disagree.” She scoffed.

“You must?”

“Tom is a quality man. He has good breeding. He comes from a nice family. He makes a nice living… he’s attractive.”

“Mom, uh-uh, no.” I said, shaking my head.

“Is it going to kill you to simply keep an open mind about him?”

“Mom, he is not my type.”

“Why not? Because I like him?”

“I swear,” I said, “I don’t know which one but there is a game show out there with your name on it.’

“Well that must be it because you’ve hardly said two words to the man. You couldn’t possibly hate him already.” She kept on going.

“Oh, no, it’s that arcade game when the mole keeps sticking its head out and you have to pound him as many times as you can with a mallet. You would be a master at that game.”

“Melissa, I realize that Tom may not be as controversial as your usual brand of men.”

“They would erect a statue of you next to it with perfect hair and pearls and a big bronze mallet.” I continued with my small tirade.

“But, I want you to think about something. Last month you broke up with your sixteen year old boyfriend. And yet, now, you still have not gotten together with his older, more suitable brother.”

Then, she left the kitchen. She left me standing there with my mouth hanging open trying to process what she just said. So… she wants me with Joe? After a moment I caught myself. I followed her back out to the sitting room.

“Well, here we are. I’m very sorry.”

“Well, that’s alright. I had a chance to tell Clark about what I do in the actuarial business.” Tom said.

“Yes, it’s… fascinating.” My father said, clearly not fascinated at all.

“Melissa, may I fix you something to drink?”

“White wine.”

“Make that two.” Dad said sitting next to me.

“What about the one drink before dinner rule?” I asked.

“Well, we have guests. We’re celebrating. Oh Tom, here let me help you with that.”

Dad stood up to help… Tom. I looked at Mom and she stared at me, raising her eyebrow. I sighed and sat back on the couch, crossing my arms. Tonight is going to be a long night.

****

“So, Melissa, are you a member of the D.A.R.?” Tom asked during dinner.

“Oh, no. I’m not. D.A.R.N.” I said, laughing. Everyone was staring at me confused. “It’s… I uh, it’s like darn. Because it’s a play on D.A.R.” I said. Still, crickets. “Boy these carrots sure are tiny.”

“Tom, I’m simply fascinated about your work situation. Tell us how you wound up back here at home. I mean, you move away to make your fortune and you end up right back here. Isn’t life funny?” Mom asked.

“Hilarious.” I said sarcastically.

“It’s a comedy for the masses.” Dad said, almost as sarcastically as me.

“Well, I worked hard and the company was very good to me. You know a little about company loyalty I assume Clark. Well, the company offered me a choice of west coast locations sort of a big vote of confidence in the job I was doing. Picking your locale… it’s a very coveted position to be in.”

“Yeah, I would like to be picking my locale right now.” I said, picking at my dinner with my fork.

“So, I sat down and made my wish list. I looked for places that offered location amenities as well as job growth and finally, after days of research; checking into traffic conditions, uh, crime rates… the best school systems, my decision came down to just two places. One was in Nevada and one was in California.”

“And you chose California.” I stated.

“That I did.” He said. The maid brought dessert out and just then the doorbell rang.

“Oh, big bell.” She said. My mother does not have the brightest of maids.

“Sarah? The desserts, Sarah? Oh pass the wine Melissa.” She said with a sigh.

“Do you want a straw with that?”

“You’re enjoying this?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Lyss, I need to talk to you.” Joe said, walking into the dining room. Tom and Dad looked up at him.

“Joe? What are you doing here?” I asked.

“You avoided me all day. You left and wouldn’t have anyone tell me where you went.”

“Did you do this?” I asked, looking at my mother.

“I remembered you’d be here.” Joe said.

“I did not do this.” Mom said, looking at me and shaking her head.

“You gave me no choice.” Joe said.

“You have to go.” I said, standing up.

“I’m not going until you talk to me.” He said, following me to the front door.

“Joseph, Melissa, come back here.” Mom said.

“Why are you avoiding me?” he asked once we made it to the foyer.

“There couldn’t be a worse time to have this conversation.”

“Really? Because it seems to be the only time to have this conversation.”

“Look, go home. Okay? I promise I will talk to you tomorrow.”

“Well, sure, I believe that.” He said sarcastically.

“Hey, I’ve never lied to you.” I said, staring at him. “There’s no reason to doubt my word!”

“You ignoring me like this is wrong.”

“I’m not discussing this with you in my mother’s house.”

“You don’t get to dictate this. I need to talk to you and you’re avoiding me and I did what I had to do. I’m sorry. But after all we’ve been through, especially over these last few weeks, you avoiding me is wrong!”

“Joe,” I said, sighing.

“Look, Lyss,” he said, placing his hands on my shoulders. “It’s like it’s not even real to me, my life is not even real to me unless you’re there and you’re in it and I’m sharing it with you.”

“Oh Joe,” I said softly, a tear slipping down my cheek.

“Lyss, we can do this. I just need you to confirm that you want to do this.” He said searching in my eyes.

“Yes.” I whispered.

He smiled and placed his lips on mine softly. I kissed back and wrapped my arms around his neck as his wound their way around my waist. After a minute I pulled away and smiled at him.

“God that felt good,” he said his breath warm against my face.

“Joe, Melissa, what’s going on?” Mom asked, walking into the foyer. “Oh!”

“Yeah,” I said, smiling at her. She smiled back.

“Excuse me. I have to take care of something.”

“Or someone,” I muttered under my breath as she went to explain to Tom that it was all a misunderstanding.

“What?” Joe asked.

“Nothing. Come on, let’s go back.”

“Together.” He said, taking my hand in his and giving me a quick kiss.

We climbed into my car (since Joe had taken a taxi) and drove back to the hotel. He kept our hands joined together over the shift. We got back to the hotel and went upstairs to mine and Lauren’s room. She and Kevin spotted our joined hands and how Joe and I were both smiling.

“Finally!” Lauren exclaimed jumping up to hug Joe and me.

“Geez, ribs, crushing,” I gasped and she released her grip.

“We’ll leave you two alone.” She said smiling at us. “Come on Kevin.”

“Congrats guys.” He said as he walked past us.

“Thanks Kev.” Joe said as they closed the door behind them. “Come here,” he whispered to me, pulling me over to the bed. He sat down and pulled me onto his lap.

“What’s up?” I asked softly.

“Lyss,”

“Mm?”

“You were worth waiting for.” He said, smiling at me.

“What did you just say?” I asked, my eyes opening wide.

Sometimes, you pull me back, back from the edge. And I, I rescue you, back from the dead. We got lost along the way but we got here in the end. I know it was worth waiting for. You were worth waiting for.” He sang.

“Oh, my God. You listened to Tyler!” I exclaimed. “And you just sang part of my favorite song. Joe!”

“Yeah, I listened to him like I told you I would.” He said, smiling at me. “And I like him, he’s pretty cool.”

I leaned in and kissed him. When I pulled back I smiled at him.

Now this feels exactly right. Two puzzle pieces fitting together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwwww yay! Joe and Melissa are finally together!

Okay so... Gilmore dialogue.... a lot used:
A. The part where Melissa goes to dinner at her parents house and meets Tom is from season 1 (the episode where Rory and Dean break up actually). Lorelai (Melissa) goes to her parents', Emily (Marie) and Richard (Clark) house where Emily has a blind date set up for Lorelai with Chase (Tom)
B. The part where Joe interrupts dinner is actually from an episode from season 3. Christopher (Joe) shows up at Emily's (Marie) house unexpectedly and interrupts dinner with Lorelai (Melissa) and Rory while Richard (Clark) is out of town but I twisted it around so it would be in the same night.
C. The line that Joe says: " It's like it's not even real to me, my life isn't real to me unless you're there and you're in it and I'm sharing it with you." Is the line that Luke (Joe) says to Lorelai (Melissa) in the beginning of season 7 when he tells her that he's made up his mind and wants to elope but she pushes him away (that's a cliche if i ever wrote one)

Wow, okay that's it.

So, what do you think now that Joe and Melissa are official? Do you think it will last? Do you think Melissa is wrong in thinking that Joe is the better choice over Nick? Do you think there is any possibility at all that she would want Nick back if something goes wrong with her and Joe?

Ha, sorry to load all those questions on you...

C/R/S

~Steph <3