Sequel: Worth Waiting For

It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On

Are You Ready?

Image

A week later we were back on the bus to continue with the last two months of tour. Lauren was sitting at the table messing around with her new laptop, Kevin’s gift to her. Joe was going around being a dork and filming everyone on the new video camera that I gave him. When he opened it he was so excited. He kept trying to get close ups of me.

“It’s because you have a pretty face.” He said, smiling goofily at me. I rolled my eyes at him and he stuck his tongue out and continued to film me as I sorted pictures for the book on my laptop.

“So, when do you two think the book will be out?” Nick asked from the couch as he tuned his guitar.

“We’ll probably wait until you guys come back from your time in Australia before we release it.” Lauren said.

“Australia?” I asked looking up.

“You didn’t tell her?” Kevin and Lauren both asked, looking at Joe. I looked at him too and I saw Nick looking at me.

“Tell me what?”

“Lyss, let’s go to the back.” He said, taking my hand and leading me to the recording area and shutting the door.

“Joe, what’s going on?”

“Well… once the tour’s over… we’re going to Australia for three months to do a little touring there.” He said, looking at me sadly. “You’re not mad are you?”

“No, I’m not mad just… why didn’t you tell me?”

“I don’t know.” He said, shrugging his shoulders. “Probably because I don’t want to think about not being able to see you for three months… Or hold you, I can’t imagine what it will be like to not hold you.” He said, pulling me into him and squeezing me tight.

“Joe, it will be fine.” I said.

“I know but still… it’s not fun to think about.” He said, kissing the top of my head.

“So, let’s not think about it. Only when it’s absolutely necessary… Agreed?”

“Agreed, now come on let’s get pumped for Texas.”

****

The last concert of the tour… October 17, 2009. The Jonas’ leave a week from today to go to Australia and they’ll be back in the end of January… possibly the beginning of February at the latest. I tried not to think about it but… it was hard. There was so much that needed to be talked about for planning and packing and everything.

“Are you ready for this?” I asked the boys as they prepped in the final minutes before the last concert of the tour.

“I was born ready.” Joe said, doing some pushups.

“I’m pumped,” Nick said, pulling his guitar over his head.

“This is going to be so great.” Kevin said, adjusting his guitar strap.

“Have fun out there. Be careful!” Lauren said as they walked to their places on the lift.

“Love you!” Lauren and I shouted as they started to rise up. They flashed smiles at us and put their game… uh… show faces on. We laughed as they disappeared from view.

“I’ve got to get out on the floor.” I said with a sigh as I turned my camera on.

“Mm, have fun meandering through the throngs of teenage girls screaming over our boyfriends and Nicholas.”

“Oh yeah, loads of fun.”

****

The girls were pretty crazy in there. Lots of screaming, I’m surprised my eardrums didn’t burst. I was taking pictures of the boys and of the fans. I looked to my right, and saw one girl away from all the commotion, her head buried in her arms, leaning against a tree. I frowned and walked over to her.

“Hey, are you alright?” I asked, crouching down next to her.

“I’m fine.” She said, sniffling back tears.

“You don’t look fine.” I stated. “You’re crying. You’re at a Jonas Brothers concert! What could have made you so upset?”

“You know them don’t you?” she asked, looking at me. I looked down at the backstage pass hanging around my neck and smiled.

“Yeah… I do.”

“Wait a second.” She said, her eyebrows scrunching together. “Aren’t you Melissa Douglas?”

“You know who I am?” I asked. I was surprised. How does she know my name?

“Yeah. I love your work. Especially in that book that you and Lauren Patterson made about Anne Hathaway last year.”

“I didn’t think anyone knew who I am.” I said, still in shock.

“Well, you’re my inspiration. I want to go into photography too so… of course I know who you are.” She said, smiling at me.

“Wow, that’s awesome. Thank you.” I said, smiling at her. “So, you know my name but I don’t know yours.”

“I’m Lana. Lana Mitchell.” She said, sticking out her hand for me to shake.

“Well Lana, why are you so upset?” I asked. I really wanted to help this poor girl.

“It’s stupid.” She said, shaking her head.

“I won’t think so.” I said. She sighed.

“Okay, well… I’m sixteen years old. I’m a dedicated Jonas Brothers fan. I’ve gone to concerts, I watch the live chats, and I’m a member on FFE and yet… I haven’t met them. And it’s annoying because I see these meet and greet lines with the little six year old girls who get to hug them and take pictures with them and I don’t. And these girls won’t remember that in a few years but me… I will remember. It would mean the world to me if I could meet them.”

“Well Lana, your dream is going to come true.”

“What?” she asked, looking up at me questioningly.

“After the concert, you’re coming backstage with me to meet them.” I said, beaming at her.

“Seriously?”

“Yes seriously. Which one’s your favorite?”

“Nick.” She said, blushing slightly.

“Aw yeah… Nick’s great.”

“Oh no, you’re not dating him are you?”

“No! No, definitely not.” I said hurriedly.

“But you used to, didn’t you?” she asked, smirking at me.

“How can you tell?” I asked, my jaw dropping open.

“The way you’re acting.” She said.

“It’s that obvious?”

“Yeah,” she said, letting out a laugh.

“Well… yeah. We did date but not anymore.”

“Are you dating one of the others?” she asked, perking up.

“I’m not at liberty to say.” I said, smiling at her.

“Oh come on. I won’t tell anyone.”

“I know you won’t. I can tell you’re not someone like that.” I said. “Maybe you’ll find out backstage.” I said winking at her. She smiled. “Now come on! Enjoy the rest of the concert!” I said, pulling her up and back into the venue.

****

“Are you sure this is okay?” Lana asked for the hundredth time as I led her backstage after the concert.

“Geez Lana. How many times do I have to answer?” I asked, laughing. I saw Lauren, Frankie, and Denise a little ahead and smiled. “Come on.”

“Hey girl, did you get some awesome pictures?” Lauren asked.

“Yes I did. Laur, Frankie, Denise, this is Lana Mitchell.”

“Hi,” Lana said shyly.

“Hi,” Frankie said, smiling up at her.

“Hi Lana, it’s nice to meet you.” Denise said, giving her a hug. “Did Melissa bring you back here to meet the boys?”

“Yes,” Lana said, nodding her head. “It’s quite the night for me. Meeting the boys, Melissa and Lauren… it’s all very exciting.”

“Huh?”

“She knows who we are!” I said excitedly.

“I loved your work in your book about Anne Hathaway. That’s where I got my biggest inspiration from Melissa. I want to be a photographer too.”

“That’s so awesome. We’ve met plenty of fans in the last few months but… never of us.” Lauren said smiling. “Mel, I think this calls for a picture!”

“Oh, alright! Denise would you?”

“Of course.” She said, gently taking my camera from me. Lana came over and stood in between Lauren and me for the picture.

“Thank you, so much.” She said.

“Really it’s no problem.” I said.

“We should be thanking you.” Lauren said.

Just then I heard raucous laughter coming our way. The boys were done with their showers. I turned to Lana with a huge grin on my face.

“Are you ready?” I asked. “Lauren, do you think she’s ready?”

“I’m not sure if she’s ready.” Lauren said.

“Denise, do you think she’s ready?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea.” Denise said, smiling.

“Frankie, do you think she’s ready?” I asked, looking at him.

“No,” he said.

“Lana, Frankie doesn’t think you’re ready. He says it best.”

“Stop teasing!” she said, bouncing on her toes.

“Who’s teasing who?” Joe asked, emerging around the corner. “Oh, hi.”

Lana was speechless as the other two boys rounded the corner. They all looked at her then turned and gave me a confused look.

“Boys, this is Lana. She’s a fan I met out in the crowd while taking pictures. It was her wish to meet you guys because she’s such a devoted fan and never has before so… I brought her back here.” I explained. “Lana,” I said, walking over to her and leading her to the boys, “Meet Kevin, Joe, and Nick Jonas.”

“Hey Lana,” Kevin said, giving her a hug. Joe and Nick did the same. When she and Nick pulled away from each other, they looked into the other’s eyes for a moment and then she turned to me.

“Thank you so much Melissa!” she said, throwing her arms around my neck and hugging me. The boys laughed.

“So, do you want pictures too?” Nick asked.

“Yes, please!” she said.

After a couple of pictures Lana thanked the boys and turned to me.

“I should get going home.” She said. “My mom’s waiting and she’ll freak if I’m not home soon.”

“Aw, can’t you come out and catch a late dinner with us?” Nick asked, looking at her hopefully with those brown eyes. I smiled to myself and tried to hide it with my hand.
“I don’t know…”

“Mom, couldn’t you talk to Lana’s Mom and see if it’s okay for her to come out with us? Please?” Denise smiled at her son and nodded her head.

“It would be my pleasure Lana,” she said.

“Really, I don’t want to be any trouble.”

“Oh geez Lana. Just call your house honey and let Denise talk to your mother.” I said, shaking my head and laughing.

“Fine,” she said with a sigh, reaching into her pocket for her phone. “Hi Mom… yeah the concert was awesome… Guess what?... I met Melissa Douglas… yeah, her,” she said, smiling at me. “Well, she and Lauren Patterson are touring with the brothers for a book about them and she saw me standing alone and she brought me backstage to meet them afterwards… Yeah, they’re here right now actually… Okay, my Mom says hi,”
“Hi,” the boys, Lauren, and I chorused.

“They say hi back,” she said, laughing, “Well, Nick was wondering if I could join them for a late dinner… yes Mom… Mrs. Jonas would like to talk to you.”

“Hello Mrs. Mitchell… please, call me Denise… yes we would love to have Lana join us and we’ll bring her back safe and sound. Oh well, we will follow her home and make sure she gets home safe… why thank you… my husband and I try our best… yes of course… goodbye.” She said, handing the phone back to Lana and smiling.

“Hey, yeah… thanks Mom. See you later. Bye.” She said, and then she hung up. “Looks like I’m joining you for dinner.”

“Awesome!” Nick said, pumping his fist in the air.

“Should be fun...” Kevin said, smiling at her.

“I think Nick’s found a new interest,” Joe whispered in my ear.

“Mhm… you know, it’s okay if Lana knows. She’s cool.” I whispered back.

“Oh… well in that case,” he said smirking at me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into him and gave me a kiss.

“Mm, that was nice.” I said, smiling up at him.

“I agree.” He said, kissing me on the forehead. “Now, let’s go eat. I’m hungry.” I rolled my
eyes as we walked out to the bus, Nick talking animatedly with Lana.

****

During dinner, Nick and Lana talked non-stop. The smiles on their faces never ceased and they kept inching closer to one another in the booth we were seated at. Joe had his arm around my shoulder and chuckled at his brother’s behavior.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“Them,” he said, nodding his head towards his brother and Lana.

“Aw, I think it’s cute. I’m happy that Nick’s happy.”

“Believe me, I am too… but he just met her and next week…”

“Oh… yeah.” I said. I frowned and thought about it. “You never know, miracles happen.”

“Mm, I hope so.” He said, kissing my cheek.

After dinner, we gathered onto the bus and drove back to the venue so Lana could get her car. Then we’d follow her home and say our good-byes. On the bus, she and Nick sat on the couch together while Lauren, Kevin, Joe, and I sat around the table.

“Is it okay if I have some information? I’d like to keep in touch.” Nick said, looking at her. I smiled as she blushed.

“Sure, what do you want?”

“Your phone number and email… though I probably won’t be able to call much.” He said, looking away.

“Why not?”

“Well… next week, we’re leaving for Australia… for about three months.”

“Oh… well if it’s going to be too much trouble…”

“No! Lana, no… I want to keep in touch with you. I like talking to you.” He said, putting his hand on her knee.

“I like talking to you too… are you sure?”

“Yes,” he said laughing. He stood up and grabbed a pen and paper and handed them to Lana so she could write everything down. “Thank you,” he said, smiling at her.

“No… thank you. All of you,” she said, looking over at the rest of us. “You guys have made this the best night of my life.”

“Aw, it was our pleasure.” I said as the bus parked in the lot at the venue.

“I better get to my car.” She said. “You’re still going to follow so I can say good-bye when I get home right?”

“Of course.” Nick said.

“Okay… see you soon. I only live about twenty minutes away.” She said, climbing down the steps. We waved as the bus started to move again.

About twenty-five minutes or so later, we pulled up to a nice house. Lana parked in the driveway and got out of her car and the rest of us piled out of the bus.

“It was so nice meeting you!” she said hugging all of us. She gave Denise and Kevin Sr. hugs and then turned to Nick.

“It was nice to meet you, we hope to see and hear from you again soon.” Denise said as Lana hugged Nick.

“I would like that.” She said.

“Can we talk for a second?” Nick asked her quietly.

“Sure.” She said. He smiled and took her hand and led her a little bit away from us. Enough that we couldn’t hear….

I stood staring at them with Joe’s arms wrapped around my waist. I watched them, how he spoke to her and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She smiled, blushed and looked down. He tilted her chin up with his finger and said something and then pulled her into him. He kissed her cheek and pulled away. She smiled, waved to him, then turned to us and waved, and then walked into her house. Nick’s eyes didn’t leave her the entire time.

“Nick,” Kevin Sr. said. “It’s time to go.”

He silently turned and walked onto the bus, the rest of us following. He went right to his bunk and pulled out his laptop.

“It’s going to be a long three months isn’t it?” Joe asked with a sigh, sitting on the couch and pulling me on his lap.

“I think it is going to be… for all of us.” I said, laying my head on his shoulder. He kissed my forehead and held me close.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so... new character. What do you think of her? Oh and this whole Australia thing? What do you think's going to happen with that? ....

So, thanks to DISASTEROUS_x for the awesome new banner :D

NEWSFLASH!!!

I started writing Chapter 1 for the sequel to this story today!!!! I hope you guys like it as much as you like this... I just have to finish posting the rest of this.... Haha :P

C/R/S

~Steph <3