I Can't Stay Away

We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands

Mason caught up to Kaylin the following day before she had made it to the top of the mountain to watch everyone do their practice runs. “Hey,” Mason said. “Can I talk to you?”

“Sure,” Kaylin said, allowing Mason to enter her hotel room. “What’s up?”

“What do you think of Missy?” Mason asked.

“What do you mean?” Kaylin questioned.

“We all know Molly hates her. I want to know what you think.”

Kaylin took a deep breath, trying to figure out how to put into words how she felt. “I understand why Molly isn’t her biggest fan,” Kaylin said slowly.

“So, you don’t like her either?” Mason asked sitting down and looking up at Kaylin.

“It’s not that I don’t like her,” Kaylin began, and Mason looked up at her with a look that told her he knew she was lying. “Okay, I don’t like her.”

“Why not?”

“Mason,” Kaylin said, trying to get out of answering the question.

“Come on, Kay. Why don’t you like her?”

“Okay, I’ll answer, but only if you’re sure you really want to hear this.”

“Yes.”

“Fine. Do you remember last night when she came in here to apologize? Well, as soon as you left, she started going off on me and Molly.”

“What do you mean?”

“She started telling me that she wasn’t going to let me break you two up. I told her that we were just friends, and she didn’t care. Then, she turns to Mol and starts yelling at her,” Kaylin explained.

“I’m sure Molly probably started it,” Mason muttered.

“Actually, Molly didn’t start it. But, she didn’t exactly let it go. Molly yelled right back about how she thought Missy didn’t like you for you and all this stuff,” Kaylin told him.

“God! Why can’t she just stay out of my love life? I know she doesn’t like Missy, but that doesn’t mean that Missy’s with me for all the wrong reasons,” Mason yelled.

“Actually,” Kaylin said.

“Actually what?” Mason questioned.

“Actually, Molly’s right.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Missy admitted that she’s only with you because you’re a snowboarder,” Kaylin said quietly. “And then she said that if we tried to tell you, she’d just deny it.”

“You’re lying,” Mason claimed.

“What?” Kaylin asked in disbelief. “Why would I lie about this?”

“Because you and Mol don’t like her. I don’t know why, but you just don’t.”

“Mase, I am not lying about this. Molly’s right when she says you could do so much better,” Kaylin told him.

“Oh, yeah, like who?” Mason questioned.

“Like me,” Kaylin said, walking over to him and pressing her lips against his. As they pulled away from each other, Kaylin’s eyes went wide when she realized what she had just done. “Oh my god,” she said as she grabbed her jacket and ran out the door.

“Kaylin, wait,” she could hear Mason calling after her, but she continued to run as fast as she could. She didn’t know where she was going, but she knew she needed to get away from Mason.

As she finally reached the top of the mountain, she saw Molly standing off to the side with David. “Molly, I really need to talk to you,” she said running up to them.

“Can it wait?” Molly asked. “I’m about to take my run.”

“No, Mol. I need to talk to you now,” Kaylin told her.

“Okay,” Molly said, handing David her snowboard and telling him she’d be back in a few minutes. “What’s up?” she asked Kaylin as soon as they were out of everyone’s hearing range.

“I kissed Mason,” Kaylin blurted out.

“You did?” Molly asked excitedly, as her eyes went wide. “How was it?”

“Bad, it was bad,” Kaylin told her.

“My brother’s a bad kisser?”

“No, the kiss itself was amazing,” Kaylin said. “But, the events surrounding it were bad.”

“Okay, start from the beginning,” Molly said, not following where she was going.

“Okay,” Kaylin said. “Mason came to the room this morning asking to talk to me. He asked me what I thought of Missy, and I ended up telling him that I agree with you and that I don’t like her.”

“Really?” Molly asked with a smile.

“Not the point right now,” Kaylin told her. “He then asked me why I didn’t like her, and I told him what happened last night and that she admitted to only dating him because he’s a snowboarder.”

“Okay,” Molly said.

“And then I told him that I agreed with you that he could do so much better. And he asks me who. So, I say me, and then I kiss him!” Kaylin exclaimed. “What the hell was I thinking?”

“You were finally making your move,” Molly joked.

“Molly, he’s still dating Missy. I’m pretty sure he’s not going to break up with her. He didn’t believe me when I told him what she said. He kept calling me a liar,” Kaylin told him.

“What did you say after you kissed him?”

“I didn’t say anything. I bolted out of the room and came up here. He kept calling after me, but I wouldn’t stop. I can’t talk to him now.”

“Well, you’re going to have to because he’s coming up here right now,” Molly said pointing behind Kaylin. Kaylin turned around and, sure enough, saw Mason walking up the hill.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts???