The Alley

Prolouge

“Oh yay I love this song!” said Jamie as he walked with his friends towards maths, his least favourite subject.

“What is it?” asked Hayley his best friend who was walking beside him, she swapped her headphone over to the other ear to listen to the answer.

“Just an Amber Pacific song,” Jamie sighed knowing she wouldn’t care unless it was My Chemical Romance or in some way could relate to her own problems.

“Oh emo,” laughed Jed as he picked up the headphone that wasn’t in Jamie’s ear and held it two his own for about half a second and flung it away again.

Jamie cringed, “seriously dude be gentle with my headphones.” But that wasn’t why he cringed it was the ‘E’ word, it just got to him. Well if you got called it as much as Jamie did it would get to you, too! “You don’t even listen anymore do you Jed? You just say that anyway”.

“Yeah I know, I didn’t even listen to it then,” he laughed. Obviously not sensing the hurt in Jamie’s voice, “but with you I know it will be!”

“Fuck you Jed, you and your hardcore Lilly Allen or whatever,” joked Jamie that was his thing, make a joke to hide how he really felt.

“At least I don’t listen to dirty My Chemical Romance.”

“Hey fag don’t bag My Chem,” of course Hayley defended MCR but not her best friend. Nope unless it was her then obviously no one else ever got upset about anything.

Jamie couldn’t take much more of Hayley, lately all she had been doing was talking about her problems and whining. So what if that sounded harsh he just needed to get away from them for a while then he could go back to making a joke about it.

“Guys I’m not in the mood for maths today,” none of them would argue his will to avoid maths, they knew where he would go. “I’m gunna go hang out in The Alley okay?”

“Like you ever do any work, anyway,” said Hayley walking ahead with Dean.

It was’t that he did not do any work, he just wasn’t good at maths, it was all the formulas that you had to remember that got him.

“See-ya Jed,” he said turning and headed back towards The Alley, well technically it wasn’t an alley it was just the section between the science labs and the back wall of the school.

It was kind of an unwritten rule that if you wanted to skip a class, do something you shouldn’t or get something you shouldn’t have then you would go to The Alley. No matter whom you were at school The Alley was completely different it had its own social ladder separate to popularity.

Only years 10,11 and 12 were allowed and only a few teachers knew about and used it. Everything that happened in The Alley stayed in The Alley, as cliché as that may sound. Trust me you didn’t want to be ‘the kid who told about The Alley. The last one was in the 90’s and she had to leave the state, no one ever heard of her again.

There were sort of rulers in The Alley and they earned there spot not by getting good grades or being really good at sports but from there life experiences as it was referred to by fellow Allies. The high status positions in The Alley were passed down by there predecessor, to the next generations.

The few teachers who knew helped keep it a secret from the rest of the school and faculty and those who knew but didn’t go there just pretended it didn’t exist.

Jamie rounded the corner into The Alley, although it was only a meter wide at the entrance it was quiet large for such a well kept secret and was about 10 meters at its widest point (it was cone shaped).

“Hello,” he said looking down at a boy he did not know who was sitting in his spot.

“Oh sorry,” said the boy, blushing and getting up quickly, even though he was older than Jamie, in year 11 and was one of the most admired Union players in school he still moved for Jamie.

You see Jamie had, had a roughschool life and was one of the few people who was allowed into The Alley when still in year 9. He used to be into the more illegal side of The Alley and that gained him respect at a young age. He had now grown to become the master and this had become one of the few things in his life he could control.

The Alley was his place, the place he could come and be completely him self and be respected for that.

Jamie sat down in the spot now vacated by the ‘kid’ and looked up at the peeling paint along the walls, the small huddles of whispered conversations in the back corners, the other allies sitting in groups or along the walls with IPod’s like him and sighed, this was where he belonged.