Lilith's Journey To The Woods

-

Once upon a time there was a young orphan girl, Lilith, who lived in a small village. Lilith had little money so she lived in a tiny decrepit cottage that her parents had left her. In Lilith’s village, winter never ended, it was constantly cold and usually the ground was covered with layers of soft white snow. Lilith had beautiful ebony hair but her skin was pale and flawless just like the snow. She was a kind girl, loved by the villagers but she tended to be extremely stubborn. She liked to do things her way and often didn’t listen to their advice.

One day Lilith sat on a small stool in her yard with nothing to do. She thought of many ways she could entertain herself but the one that appealed to her was taking her beautiful rainbow miniature pony for a stroll through the woods, so she fetched her coat and left the yard. Picadee, her pony that had been given to her the day before her parents were murdered was her only friend and very precious to her.

As soon as Lilith had attached her pony’s harness she set out for the forest. Everything was silent, except for the squish of her feet and Picadee’s hooves sinking into the deep snow.
“Don’t go in the woods young child,” said an old man, she had never seen before, as he appeared from behind a tree.
“Its okay, I will be fine thankyou,” she replied, with a smile.
“Suit yourself, but I am warning you, I have seen many children like yourself enter the woods and never return,” he mumbled, as he walked away with a worried look on his face.

Lilith wandered through many trees and all around her was peaceful and calm. Suddenly the sky started to crackle with thunder. Lilith did not mind because she liked the thunder, but Picadee did not. As the thunder continued louder and louder, the timid little pony got so frightened that he wrenched free of his lead and ran away.

“Come back!” Lilith cried as she ran after him. As Lilith ran into the heart of the forest she soon became enveloped in darkness and could no longer see nor run. She knew she was lost. Her throat burned as she tried to get her breath back. The poor girl knew there was no way of finding Picadee in the exceedingly large forest and sank down to her knees in despair. She began to sob when she suddenly felt a scratchy material enclose her body and yelped when she felt herself being lifted off the ground.

When Lilith was dropped roughly to the ground and pulled out of the rough sack, she found herself surrounded by a gang of angry looking trees that had come to life. The bark on their faces was cracked and mouldy, their claw-like fingers were long and razor sharp. Lilith had heard the ancient legend about the tree-people, from the villagers. If they ever caught you, they would cook you and eat you and the only way to destroy the evil monsters was to kill their king.
“Oh why didn’t I listen to the strange old man!” she cried.

Two grotesque tree-people used their twisted limbs to tie Lilith to a chair while the others brought another sack into the room. She gasped when the contents of the sack was revealed. It was little Picadee. They tied the distressed pony to the roof by its legs and brought out an enormous black pot. The demented trees started to boil some water while Lilith watched in horror. She screamed, the noise so loud and piercing, that Alexander a young hunter heard her cries. Quick and alert he easily found the entrance to the dark grimy lair.

“Help me!” cried Lilith when she saw the brave man.
Alexander pulled out a long ruby encrusted dagger and plunged it into the heart of the biggest, ugliest most deformed tree, the king. It wrenched and groaned in pain.
Soon all of the tree-people started to groan and writhe, the bark cracked and splintered off their bodies. One by one they disintegrated until all that was left was a fine dust.
“Are you all right?” asked Alexander after untying Lilith and the little pony.
Lilith nodded and the three of them began their walk back to the cottage, safe from danger. As they walked past the spot where she had encountered the old man she felt little embarrassed for ignoring his advice, the advice that could have saved her from all of the day’s drama.

As Alexander saw her home safely, she sat back on her stool and thought about the lesson she had learned. Lilith realised that maybe doing things her way, was not always the best way.

From that day on, Lilith always considered other people opinions and never entered the woods again.