I Don't Want It, I Just Need It.

Fifteen

I rolled my eyes as Elliott giggled raucously; her head thrown back in what I knew to be mock amusement. He had his face nuzzled deep into her neck and his hand was working its way steadily up her thigh. Apparently the only difference between a Friday night here and a Friday night in LA was the promising of the earth.

“I can make you a star baby. Paris? Lindsay? Jessica, they won’t have shit on you”
Wouldn’t fly as well in Sheffield, I guess.

I sighed loudly and knocked back the last of my double Jagermeister. Smiling as the subtle taste of gingerbread lingered on my lips.

“Whisky?”

I looked up to see a guy grinning down at me. Two whisky on the rocks in his hands; his tattooed fingers tapping lightly against the glasses. “Ye look li’ ye could use a little…”

“I’m waiting for someone actually” I sighed, reading the ‘High Life’ tattooed across his knuckles. “But Thank Y…”

“Bullshit” He chuckled.

“Excuse me?” I exclaimed. More than a little shocked as he squeezed onto the couch.

“I said, Bull-Shit” He grinned widely, taking a sip of his drink and thrusting the other towards me.

I refused politely with a wave of my hand and glanced around the crowded bar. “Ye came with ‘er. ‘s found someone. A creepy someone, ‘d keep an eye out for ‘im and…” He nodded toward Elliott, who was now in a deep embrace with the stranger. “Ye’ve been sat ‘ere f’ forty five minutes. Ye can stop looking’ around, I know no-ones…”

“They’re running late” I interrupted, cursing myself for how lame I sounded.

“He’s?…running late?”

I sighed loudly and ignored his prying, waving away the drink again. “Ye should ‘av the drink, I ‘avent done owt to…”

“Whatever” I shrugged; shuffling uncomfortably on the sticky leather and climbing unsteadily to my feet.

“Wait, where are ye…” I rolled my eyes as he jumped to his feet after me.

Hitting the table and sending the whisky, my whisky cascading across the dark wood. “I’m off home” I mumbled in the direction of Elliott, who was now straddling the guy I assumed she’d be going home with. “I’ll give you a call tomorrow. Make sure you…”

“She can’t ‘ear ye love”

I pulled my arm from him harshly as his fingers began to tickle at my wrist. Resenting his hot breath on my neck, his body pushed against my back. “It makes me feel better” I retorted, grabbing my bag from where I’d been sitting and tearing off toward the exit. Darting through the crowd in an attempt to lose shake him off.

There was only one person I took this behaviour from, and this guy didn’t have shit on Oliver.

&&

I stumbled past the bouncers and out onto the street; cursing under my breath the instant the deathly cold air lashed at my bare arms. My jacket? Fuck. I hit a broad, strong chest as I turned to head back inside.

“Stalker much?” I groaned.

Snatching my jacket from his hand without even bothering to glance up. The plaid shirt he was wearing was unmistakable, and I knew, well hoped there would only be one person stupid enough to get ‘High Life’ tattooed on their hands. “I was jus’ bringin’ ye jacket” He chuckled, “Don’ flatter y’self lov..”

“Well” I interrupted, throwing my jacket on and buttoning as fast as my shaking fingers would allow. “As always, its been a pleasure but I need to get ho…”

“Ye don’ remember me do ye?”

I froze to the spot the instant the question passed his lips. My first reaction being to look up at him, get a closer, better look. But that meant he could do just the same. Chances are I wouldn’t want to remember him, let alone have him remember me.

“I don’t know what you mean” I mumbled, “I’ve never…”

“Ye went t’ Stocksbridge yeah?”

I could feel my cheeks burning as I fidgeted awkwardly under his stare. I just prayed that the night would hide them.I shrugged my shoulders awkwardly, trying desperately to recall what he’d looked like inside.

I’d barely paid attention, It was dark, it… “Stocksbri…”

“What’s Stocksbridge?”

“Don’ give me that” I could hear the smirk in his voice; it sent a shiver right down my spine. “Verity”

The way he said my name explained the shiver, told me exactly who he was. I felt as if the wind had been knocked from me and I swore the ground shuddered beneath my feet.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about” I stammered, “I’m not even…if you’ll excuse me I…”

“Course ye do”

I groaned as he dove in my way; the taxi just a few steps away. Maybe I could punch him and… “ ‘Ow’s Oliver? I ‘eard ‘e didn’t take to well to ye chea…”

“Fuck You” I spat, looking up at him, clearly for the first time.

His familiarities illuminated in the hazy yellow light of the streetlamp looming over us. His bright blue eyes were now shockingly familiar. The way his lips curled into a smirk making my stomach twist uncomfortably. “…Fuck You”

I barged past him angrily and ripped the door of the cab open. Quite a feat considering my entire body felt about to collapse at any second. Closing the door behind me; before he’d even had a chance to blink. And slamming my hand down onto the lock; sinking deep down into my seat and squeezing my eyes shut.

I could hear him banging on the glass, could picture his face, his smirk, his laugh. But I daren’t look. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction. “That ye boyfriend?”

I winced at the drivers question. Shaking my head vigorously; if only to please myself. “Ye okay lov..”

I mumbled Oliver’s address before he could ask any more questions. Opening my eyes as he drew a breath to ask if I was alright again.

“Please”
♠ ♠ ♠
OOOO.
Spanner in the works much?

x