Take Me as I Am

Declaration

Things were finally back to normal, or so Summer thought. Jonathan and Olivia were back together, and they were slowly getting over the fact that she had lied to him. Summer hadn’t really talked to Patrick since they had gotten Jonathan and Olivia back together, and Summer didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing.

“Hey, are you coming over tonight?” Adam Burish asked Summer after their practice.

“What are you talking about?” Summer asked.

“Everyone’s coming over to my house tonight for a party. Are you and Olivia coming?”

Summer looked around to see if Olivia was around, but she couldn’t find her. “Um, sure,” Summer told him. “What time?”

“I don’t know,” Burish said. “Maybe around eight or nine?”

“Sounds good. We’ll see you then,” Summer told him as he walked off to his locker.

“Who’s seeing him then?” Olivia asked as Summer jumped at her voice.

“God, Liv, could you give me a warning next time!” she said as she put her hand over her heart. “But, you and I are going over to Burish’s house tonight for a party.”

“We are, are we?” Olivia questioned.

“Yeah, I’m assuming everyone’s going, including your boyfriend.”

“Yes, he is,” Olivia said as she walked over towards Jonathan’s locker.

“So, you should have no problem going,” Summer told her.

“No problem going where?” Jonathan asked.

“Over to Burish’s tonight,” Summer supplied.

“Oh, you guys are coming? Good,” Jonathan smiled.

“Yes, we are,” Summer told him.

Later that night, Summer was talking to a drunken Kris Versteeg as she sipped at her bottle of water. She had promised herself that she wasn’t going to drink anything with alcohol because she didn’t trust herself not to go overboard and get drunk. And there was no way she was going to have drunken sex with someone on the team. She could only imagine how awkward that would have been the following day.

Summer turned to her left and saw Patrick surrounded by three skinny girls. As much as she tried to help it, Summer couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. She didn’t want to admit it, but a part of her was starting to develop feelings for Patrick. After everything they had been through in Florida, it was kind of difficult not to.

She continued staring at him until she heard Kris’s voice. “Why don’t you just go talk to him?” he asked.

Summer whipped her head around to look at him. “What?” she asked.

“Go talk to Pat. It’s obvious that you want to. You’ve been staring at him all night.”

“I have not!” Summer exclaimed.

“Go talk to him,” Kris repeated. “I’m sure he’d appreciate it.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Summer asked.

“Go,” Kris said, giving her a little push.

She was just about to reach him when she saw one of the girls put her hand on his arm and laugh flirtatiously at something he had said. Summer abruptly turned on her heel and walked in the opposite direction.

She hadn’t taken four steps when she felt a hand on her arm spin her around. She looked up into Patrick’s eyes. “Where are you going?” he asked. She could smell the alcohol on his breath, and she knew that he was drunk.

“I’m just going to get some air,” she told him as she continued walking towards the balcony.

“I’ll go with you,” Patrick said following her out. He was happy to see that no one else was on the balcony with them. “I’ve been wanting to talk to you.”

“About what?” Summer asked, not taking her eyes off of the Chicago skyline.

“Us,” Patrick said simply.

“What?” Summer asked turning around to look at him.

“In case it’s not completely obvious, I like you,” he said, taking a step closer to her. She could smell the alcohol radiating from him.

“Pat, you’re drunk,” Summer stated.

“That doesn’t mean that I’m lying to you,” Patrick told her. “Listen, ever since Florida, I haven’t been able to get you off of my mind. I’m falling hard for you,” he admitted as he leaned forward and his lips crashed against hers.

Summer stood there for a moment, frozen. She could taste the alcohol coming from his tongue, and she knew she had to end the kiss before it went in further. She took a step back and saw Patrick look upset.

“I’m sorry,” Summer apologized. “But, come on, Pat. You’re wasted. You have no idea what you’re doing right now,” she explained.

“I know exactly what I’m doing,” Patrick protested. “I’m telling you that I like you.” He stepped forward and put a hand on the back of her head, pulling her towards him.

Summer once again got caught up in the intoxicating kiss. She reached her arms around his neck and began playing with his hair. As Patrick deepened the kiss, he reluctantly pulled away, saying, “I think we should take this somewhere else.”

Summer’s eyes widened when she realized what was happening. “Patrick, we can’t.”

“What?” Patrick questioned.

“I’m not going to let you do this and then regret it tomorrow,” Summer said, using Patrick’s words that he had told her in Florida against him.

“Whatever,” Patrick said, shaking his head and walking back inside.

Summer followed him, wanting to explain to him why she had said no. She watched as he went to one of the girls she had seen on his arm earlier in the night. He put his arm around her waist and whispered something in her ear. She watched as the girl nodded her head, and Patrick grabbed her hand and led her up the stairs to where all the bedrooms were located.

Summer stood there, tears stinging her eyes. She was honestly surprised, even though she shouldn’t have been. Patrick hadn’t wanted her because he liked her. He just wanted anyone tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts??