Take Me as I Am

Ego

“Seriously, man, it’ll come. Just give it some time,” Patrick Kane told his best friend and teammate, Jonathan Toews the next day after practice. Jonathan hadn’t scored in the last ten games, and the drought was starting to get to him. On top of that, Coach Sokolov had been riding him pretty hard since he had only one assist in that time, too.

“I know,” Jonathan admitted. “But I’m sick of waiting. I spent an extra forty-five minutes after practice yesterday just shooting the puck. I’ve got to do something. I’m going crazy, here. There was some girl there yesterday, and I just went off on her.”

“Some girl? Was she hot?” Patrick joked.

“Seriously, man. All she did was tell me I should work on my backhand when I face Osgood, and I asked her if she was a florist!”

“You asked her if she was a florist?” Patrick asked as he laced up his shoes.

“Yeah. I said something like ‘I’m a hockey player. I know what I’m doing. What do you do for a living? Are you a florist?’” he told him as he put his shirt on and grabbed his shoes out of his locker.

“What’d she say then?” Patrick asked laughing.

“Nothing much. Just that when Osgood keeps stopping my shots not to say she didn’t tell me.”

“Wow, a girl with an attitude. She sounds like my kind!”

“Are you not listening to a word I’ve said? I went off on her. That’s not me,” Jonathan said. “This no goal thing is getting to my head.”

“It’ll all be over soon,” Patrick replied.

“Yeah, well how soon? I can’t keep being like this.”

“I don’t know. But in the meantime, if a hot girl tells you how to play the game, don’t go off on her. Ask for her number,” Patrick said with a laugh as he walked off to go talk to the media.

Thirty minutes and nearly ten reporters later, Patrick was finally finished with the media. He turned around to leave when he ran into a red haired girl. He stared at her for a minute trying to figure out if he had seen her somewhere before. She was wearing a black tank top with a red long sleeve shirt on top of it and a pair of jeans. She didn’t look like a reporter, so Patrick couldn’t figure out why she would be in the locker room right now.

“If you’re looking for the Ice Girls tryouts, they’re already over,” he joked.

The girl turned around, and Patrick could see her brown eyes staring at him. “Excuse me?” she asked.

“I said the Ice Girls tryouts are already over,” he said with a slight smirk.

“I’m not here for the Ice Girls tryouts,” she said shaking her head.

“Oh, so you’re a puck bunny?” he asked.

“What?” the girl asked, clearly outraged.

“You know, you’re here to try to hook up with the players,” Patrick explained.

Vous, égocentrique, arrogant, crâneur couillon!” the girl yelled before spinning around and walking out the door. Patrick just stared at her, not knowing exactly what she had said.

“Smooth move,” Jonathan said laughing as he came over to Patrick.

“What’d she say?” he asked.

“Um, I believe it was something like ‘you, egocentric, arrogant, bigheaded jerk,’” Jonathan said, not being able to contain his laughter.

“Oh, she likes me,” Patrick smiled.

“So, how’d your first day go?” Olivia asked Summer as she walked in the front door. Olivia had gotten home about thirty minutes before and had begun to pack for the upcoming two game, three day road trip.

“Well, I figured out the answer to your question,” Summer replied.

“What question?”

“All hockey players are jackasses.”

“Bad day?” Olivia asked.

“What do you know about Patrick Kane?” Summer questioned.

“Well, he was drafted first overall in 2007. He was Rookie of the Year in 2008,” Olivia began spouting off facts.

“I meant as a person,” Summer told her.

“Oh, well I don’t know too much. Why?”

“Well, I ran into him after interviews today, and he was a complete jackass.”

“What did he do?” she asked her.

“Well, first he tells me that the Ice Girls tryouts are over. When I tell him I’m not there to try out, he calls me a puck bunny,” Summer explained.

“Oh no. What did you do next?”

“I yelled at him,” Summer said, before adding, “In French.”

“Sum, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t speak French.”

“Well good,” Summer replied. “Then he won’t know what I said.”

“What did you say?” Olivia asked.

“Nothing,” Summer said.

“Sum, what did you say?” Olivia repeated.

“Oh, I don’t know. I may have called him an egocentric, arrogant, bigheaded jerk,” Summer replied.

“You said that? To the star player?”

“Wait. I thought Toews was their star player. Isn’t he their captain?”

“Well, yeah, but they’re both star players. It’s kind of like a two for one deal. Anyways, back to you. I can’t believe you said that to him!”

“Well, if what you say is true, he won’t know what I said.”

“That doesn’t mean that there wasn’t someone there who speaks French and told him what you said. They’re hockey players, Sum. Most of them are Canadian, and therefore speak French.”

“Does it really matter?” Summer asked.

“I guess we’ll find out tomorrow,” Olivia replied, thinking to herself that the plane ride with the team tomorrow was sure to be an interesting one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think :)