‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Gone

Anne sat in her bed unable to sleep. If only she could convince Marcus to get rid of the stone. Then his link with his father would be severed. And if the link was broken then Lord Voldemort would not be able to hurt Marcus in this way.

What was he asking Marcus to do? Anne wondered as she rested her head on her knees. What was it about? she shuddered as another though came to her, was it something to do with me?

She chewed her lips and resolved to speak to Marcus about it tomorrow. No matter how he tried to evade her, she would find out.

“Marcus,” she caught his hand as he walked outside at lunch time. All the other students were walking into the hall to eat. Anne had a feeling that Marcus might have been wandering off to speak to his father again. He looked at her with faint surprise but said nothing. “Come,” Anne said and pulled him along after her.

They walked into the clearing and still Marcus had said nothing. His brow was creased and he waited for her to speak.

Anne looked at the ground for a moment, trying to find the words she wanted to say. Her hand was still linked with his and her fingers trembled slightly.

She cleared her throat and looked up at him. “Why do you talk to him Marcus?”

Marcus pulled back slightly in surprise but did not let go of her hand. “What?”

“Why do you talk to him?” Anne repeated.

“My father?” Marcus rubbed the back of his head with his spare hand. He didn’t honestly know. “I’m not sure,” he replied faintly staring off into the trees. “Because he is my father I suppose and that is the only way I will ever be able to speak to him.”

Anne frowned, “But it always seems to cause you such pain,”

Marcus flinched, remembering yesterday clearly; every minute detail of that conversation and then when Anne came to him. “Because he is my father,” he repeated.

Anne shook her head, “So? Should a father treat his son like that? His only son?” Marcus stood silent. “What did he ask you to do yesterday Marcus?”

He stared at her with wide eyes. This was something he never wanted her to know. He felt as if he had to protect her from his father’s desires. Marcus shook his head and dropped Anne’s hand.

Anne’s temper boiled instantly, “Why won’t you tell me Marcus?” She remembered that it was something like this that had caused their last fight. But she felt that this was more important than what she and Arabella had been laughing about. Obviously it was something that was hurting Marcus deep inside.

Marcus also felt the cool rage spread through him, “Because I don’t have to Anne,” he snapped and turned away from her.

“Get rid of him Marcus!” Anne yelled at him. “Throw him away and be done with it. If he is gone he cannot hurt you!”

Marcus turned to face her again. “You stupid little girl Anne. That is my father you are asking me to throw away. Could you throw away the only link that you have to your family if they were dead?”

Anne scowled and walked over to him. “At least I have a family! What you have is two shadows who are telling you to kill someone who helped our world! They want you to rid the world of the person who saves us from your father.” She kicked at the stone and Marcus hissed in rage. “They are controlling you Marcus. But you don’t give a damn because it is your father and he is dead.”

Marcus picked up the stone shoved it into his pockets and grabbed her shoulders roughly. “Harry Potter killed my father-”

“Don’t use that one again Marcus!” Anne shrieked and shoved his hands off her shoulders. “Harry Potter killed my father! Oh woe is me!” she taunted bitterly. “Your father killed both of his parents. And so many other witches and wizards. Grow up and open you eyes!” Anne turned away from him and then turned back, her eyes beginning to fill with tears. “You can’t see anything beyond your own selfish and stupid desires.”

“What do you want me to see Anne?” Marcus snarled viciously and stepped closer to her and felt her breath hot on his neck.

“I want you to see the truth. I want you to see everything that is around you. I don’t want you to only see your father. He isn’t really there. He is a shadow. He can’t make you do anything. Yet you obey him as if his word was law. As if he could actually hurt you if you disobey him.”

“I see the things around me Anne. I see the sun, the ground, the trees, the animals. I see the shadows of the forest, the dark hallways of the castles. I see those things everyday.” He placed his hands on her shoulders again and shook her. “What do you want me to see?”

Anne brought her hand back and slapped Marcus across the face. The sound vibrated through the air and stung both Anne’s hand and Marcus’ face. “I want you to see me Marcus.” She grabbed his face between her hands so that he couldn’t look away. “I want you to see me. All the time.” Marcus sneered and forced her away from him. “I want to be in your every thought Marcus. I never want to leave your mind.” Anne took a deep breath and turned so that her back was facing him. “I want to torture you as you have tortured me. I want you to hurt as I have hurt. I want you to know how it feels to feel.”

“Oh, trust me, I know what it is to feel.” Marcus snapped at her back. “I know what it is like to think of you constantly and to know that I can’t stop thinking about you. I don’t know how to get rid of you. Even if I did as he wished I would still have you as my constant companion. You have no idea what it is like to be inside my mind.”

“He wished?” Anne stayed still but turned her head slightly so that she could see Marcus from the corner of her eye. “What you father wishes?” Then she turned and stared at him. “What does he want you to do to me? Leave me?” Marcus dropped his gaze to the ground and stayed silent. “No. that can’t be it. He wants you to kill me doesn’t he?” she spoke slowly, suddenly realising what she said was true.

Marcus’ head shot up and he closed his eyes after seeing her distraught expression.

“That’s it isn’t it? You father wants you to kill me.” She stared at his blank face. She could see the muscles quivering as if he were trying to conceal his emotions. “And you will won’t you? Because you do everything he says.” She strode towards him and stood before him, arms by her sides, palms facing forwards. A sacrifice. “Go on then. Do it. Obey your dearest father’s wishes.” Marcus made no move, only clenched his hands at his sides. “Kill me!” Anne screamed and hit him on the chest. “Do it!” She struck him repeatedly and screamed again. “You coward

Marcus grabbed her hands. “No, I won’t.” he whispered in a dark tone. “I’m not going to kill you. I never will.”

“Oh? Really? Now that is a surprise,” Anne laughed at him. “Have you grown a backbone? Stood up to your father?”

Marcus hissed and let go of her. He took the stone from his pocket again and placed it on the ground. The shadow of his father appeared.

Voldemort saw Anne straight away. “Kill her now!” he threatened. “She will only betray you and then you will not be able to complete my legacy and rid our world of filth.”

Anne screamed and Marcus locked her arms behind her back, preventing her from racing towards the misty figure. “Filth?” she cried. “Oh forgive me your Highness, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are only half-blood are you not?”

Voldemort sneered at her, “Marcus, kill her. Now.”

Marcus pulled Anne around so that she was facing him. “Throw it away Marcus!” Anne cried. “Throw it away and never listen to him again. Get rid of it!” she struggled against his firm grip “Marcus please,” her voice became soft and the tears she had been holding back suddenly spilled over and she leant her head against his shoulder. “Please Marcus. Get rid of him.”

Marcus crushed her to him and kissed her forehead then let go of her. He watched her as she folded her arms protectively around her waist and hunched over slightly, waiting for the moment she would be dead.

She truly believes that I would be able to kill her without having to kill myself as well, Marcus frowned and walked away from her to his father. Looking straight into his shadowy eyes Marcus knelt down and picked up the stone. He walked through the trees towards the lake. He could hear the sounds of Anne stumbling along behind him.

He stood beside the lake in silence, Voldemort watched him with cold eyes. Marcus pulled his hand back and flung the stone as far as he could into the black inky depths of the water. He started as it hit the water and sunk. His hand shot out as if he wanted to pull it back in and clasp it tightly. He trembled and slowly brought his hand back to his side. He turned to Anne, still shaking and enfolded her in his arms.

“I could never kill you Anne,” his voice trembled as he spoke “Please know that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This was always going to happen at some point in the story. I had this part written before I wrote the first chapter.
This is actually a little sooner than I intended, but Voldemort was being an annoying idiot, so he got chucked away :P