‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Suspicion

Marcus pushed his hair from his eyes as he dragged his trunk down the train station. The other students milled around saying last minute goodbyes to their parents. Mary and Thomas had dropped Marcus at the entrance to King’s Cross and then left. Marcus didn’t mind though, it was always awkward if they did decide to go with him into the station.

His eyes swung left and right slowly, looking for any signs of Anne. He saw her friends as they gathered by the train loading their trunks and deciding which compartment they would sit in for the journey. Arabella turned and watched him as he walked by, her eyes boring into his back.

“Marcus!” He heard her call and turned to where she was standing with her family. Her parents smiled politely at him as he walked over. Anne threw her arms around him and held him close. Marcus paused for a moment before wrapping his own arms around her. After a few moments Anne’s father cleared his throat uncomfortably. Anne smiled brightly at him as she drew away. “We better get on the train.” She hugged her parents again and her younger sister before grabbing her trunk and walking beside Marcus onto the train. They slipped into their own compartment and settled down for the long journey back to school.

“You never replied to my letter.” Anne spoke quietly.

“I know.” Marcus looked down at her head on his shoulder. There were so many things that he could say right now. “I didn’t have anything to say. I didn’t do anything over the holidays.”

“Well, you still could have said something.”

“Like?”

Anne laughed, almost to herself, “I don’t know. Thank you for the letter?”

“Well I now know for next time.” He kissed the top of her head. “I missed you.” He whispered so quietly that Anne wasn’t quite sure she heard it.

“Next time?” She pushed herself off him and mock glared at him. “What makes you think I’m going to write to you again?”

Marcus shrugged, “Obviously not my replying skills.”

Anne smiled at him and rested against him again. Inside her body was singing with happiness. This was the first time that they had ever talked like this and Anne wanted to prolong it for as long as possible.

“No. So, what then?”

Marcus was silent as he thought. “No idea.”

“None at all?”

“No.”

“Oh, well I won’t write to you then, it’s as simple as that.” Anne smiled up at him but inside her heart was sinking.

They were both silent as the train moved off. Smoke billowed past the window and obscured the buildings beside them.

Soon they were joined by Arabella opening the door to the compartment. “Mind if I join you? It’s a bit crowded in the other one.” She smiled at them and sat down before either could object. “So, Marcus, do anything exciting during the holidays?” The fakeness dripped from her voice.

“No. Did you?” He asked, his voice devoid of any emotion.

“Of course.” Arabella replied shortly. “And you Anne, didn’t you do something?”

“I went away with my family.”

“How nice.” Arabella stared at Anne until she looked over. “Where did you go?”

“Kent.” Anne replied shortly.

“Oh.”

They sat in awkward silence; Marcus staring out the window, Anne looking at the floor and Arabella watching her friend intently.

“Where are your friends Marcus?” Arabella asked, sarcastically emphasizing the word friends.

“Wherever they want to be Arabella. I don’t track their every movement or who they spend their time with.” Marcus stared straight at her, his black eyes flat.

“Good for you.” Arabella smiled sweetly. “Well, I supposed I’ll leave you to it then.” She stood and left.

Anne smiled apologetically at Marcus. “I don’t know why she is being like this. She was doing it at the end of last term too.”

Marcus shrugged and went back to staring out the window.

The Great Hall buzzed with the excited chatter of all the students talking about their holidays. Arnold and Richard sat either side of Marcus speaking to other students at the table. Marcus didn’t speak to anyone. Instead he spent the time watching Arabella. She stared at Anne like a hawk watches its prey. He frowned when he noticed this, wondering why she would watch her friend that way. Anne had said that she thought her friend might just be concerned for her, though she wasn’t sure why. But Marcus suspected there was something more to it. It was definitely not just friendly concern.

He jumped slightly when the thought came to him. Perhaps she knew something about him, something that he had never intended anyone to know. Perhaps Anne had said something that had made Arabella suspicious.

Marcus was thankful when the meal finished; he longed for the peace and quiet of the dormitory so that he would be able to think more clearly.