‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Uninvited Guest

Marcus stretched and yawned widely. He could hear people out in the common room bustling around. Today was the day that Harry Potter would come. He rubbed his hands over his eyes and pushed the covers off. The ground was cold against his naked feet and he paused for a moment before quickly getting dressed.

He walked alone to the Great Hall for breakfast; Richard and Arnold were already there, eating as much as they could before the day began. Marcus sat beside them and started eating.

“You know we get nearly the whole day off because of this.” Arnold said through his food. “We only have to go to the first two classes.”

“Well, I suppose that is one upside.” Richard mumbled.

Everywhere around Marcus could feel and see the excitement on the faces of people. Many of the younger students were wearing badges with the faces of Harry, Ron and Hermione. More still were carrying large pictures that they wanted to get signed by the famous trio.

Marcus sighed quietly and pushed himself away from the table. He still had no idea how he would approach Harry and even less idea of what he would say if he was able to say anything at all. But he knew that he had to do this.

Everyone raced to the Great Hall when the first two classes were over. Marcus trailed behind with Richard and Arnold. They walked over to the side where food was being served before they took their seats.

“Hey.”

Marcus looked around and saw Anne standing beside him. Without speaking he took her hand and held it tightly. Anne’s cheeks flushed and she looked away towards the food. Marcus grabbed some and then led her over to where Richard and Arnold were sitting. They didn’t say anything when they saw Anne was with Marcus. Marcus and Anne ate the food they had taken whilst waiting for Harry and his friends to walk into the room.

Professor Pinge cleared his throat and raised his arms in the air, calling for silence. “It is excellent to see you all here.” He smiled widely at everyone. “Now, I’m sure you’re very anxious to get going, so, without further ado, Harry Potter, and Ron and Hermione Weasly!”

Everyone started clapping and cheering, the noise thundered and echoed through the room. The three people stood from where they had been sitting unseen and walked forwards to that everyone could see them.

“Hi.” Harry smiled warmly. “It’s great to be back here again and to see all your faces.” He looked around the room and almost immediately saw Marcus. He paused for a moment before turning back to everyone.

Anne looked up at Marcus and frowned slightly. An uneasy feeling worked its way into her stomach, but she had no idea why.

Marcus glanced down at her and took her hand again. The few tiny wrinkles on her forehead smoothed and she smiled slightly before turning back to the guests of honour.

Harry laughed loudly at a question one of the students had asked. “No, no, we never did anything like that when we were at school.”

“No, we were model students.” Ron nodded but winked conspiratorially at the student.

Marcus suddenly squeezed Anne’s hand tightly and looked towards the doors.

“What?” Anne whispered. “What is it?”

Marcus shook his head and turned back around. “I don’t know.” He muttered. “Something’s not right.”

“What?” Anne repeated. “What do you mean?”

Marcus shook his head. “Nothing. It’s probably nothing.”

But at that very moment there was a loud, resounding bang and the doors to the Great Hall were flung open, almost wrenched off their hinges.

“Well well well,” a deep voice laughed darkly. “What do we have here my friends if not the famous Harry Potter.”