‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Hostage

There was a high-pitched scream from the front of the hall and everyone whipped around as one body to see what was happening. Three tall wizards stood in the doorway, swathed in black robes and strange masks obscuring their faces.

The students towards the back of the hall shrieked and pushed themselves forwards. Marcus frowned as one of the people removed their masks. His rough face seemed familiar, as if Marcus had known him long ago.

“Harry Potter,” the man rumbled in his deep voice. He licked his tongue over his yellowing teeth and spat upon the ground. The tall thin person on his left let out a high cackle whilst the person to the left grinned evilly. “And your friends I see. Excellent.” The man infront spoke again.

Marcus glanced around at the students. They had all realised by now what was happening; somehow, three of those still loyal to Lord Voldemort had penetrated the school grounds, knowing that Harry, Ron and Hermione would be here.

Harry stepped forwards, “Whatever your quarrel is, it’s with me, not these students.” He glanced around, his eyes resting upon Marcus.

The man barked a short laugh. “You think I care about these? Most of them aren’t even pure-blood.”

“Why are you here?” Harry asked, moving forwards. He gently pushed students out of the way towards the edges of the hall.

The middle man grinned. “Come now Harry, surely you aren’t that dense.” He laughed deeply. “We’ve come here today because you’re here.” He waved his wand at Harry. “Because you there killed our master, Lord Voldemort. And for that, you boy, deserve to die.”

Marcus watched as the three people moved forwards. The students scattered and ran for the edges of the hall. He saw the teachers enter the hall, wands raised and ready. There were several shouts of “Stupefy!” and the two wingmen fell to the ground. But the third remained standing. In the few moments of commotion he had managed to grab two of the students. Marcus started forwards when he saw the man’s thick hands grasping at Anne’s throat.

Marcus jumped forwards, pushing the students out of his way and pulled his wand from his pocket. Anne’s terrified eyes focused on Marcus as he struggled to make his way through the melee towards her.

“Marcus!” she called out to him as the Death Eater began to hurry out of the hall, deflecting any of the spells shot at him easily.

The doors to the Great Hall shut in his face as Marcus fought to get out of the crush of bodies after the man who had taken Anne.

He pulled them open just enough to get out and ran outside. He could just see the man running down the path towards the gates. “Anne!” He called out and heard her distant reply. Marcus ran as he had never run before down the path, desperation pushing him faster.

“Stupefy!” He yelled breathlessly. The red beam narrowly missed the hulking figure as he continued to drag Anne along behind him. “Stupefy!” Marcus cried again.

“Marcus.” The call came from behind him. But it was not one of the teachers. “Marcus duck!”

Marcus stumbled and a flash of red light passed overhead. It hit a tree and a branch fell onto the man ahead. Marcus didn’t turn to see who had cast the spell, but continued to sprint forward to where Anne lay on the ground.

“Anne.” He wheezed, having no breath left to speak. She lay unconscious, a large bruise already forming on her forehead. He gently shook her shoulders. “Anne, can you hear me?”

The man groaned and began to move. Marcus grabbed his wand. “Stupefy.” He muttered. The man slumped back to the ground, breathing heavily.

“Marcus.” The person who had shot the spell from behind him was now leaning over him. “You should get her to the hospital wing.” It was Harry Potter. He walked over to the man and rolled him over so that he could see his face.

Marcus looked over and frowned, taking in the man’s rough features again. “He looks familiar.” He muttered.

Harry looked over at him. “Well he doesn’t to me.” He glanced at Anne. “Really, take her to the Hospital Wing. I’ll take care of this.”

Marcus glanced up and stared at Harry. After a few moments he nodded and carefully picked Anne up. He cradled her in his arms and walked slowly back up to the castle.