‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Try For Me

“How long was Harry Potter there before I woke up?” Anne asked as she rested her head against Marcus’ shoulder. They sat together in the clearing. Marcus shifted slightly to wrap his cloak around the both of them.

Marcus shrugged slightly, “Not really sure.”

“Oh, well, why was he there?”

“He ran after me, when I ran after that man who took you.” Marcus explained quietly. “I suppose he just wanted to check up on you before he left Hogwarts.”

“That was nice of him.” Anne sighed. She sat silent for a few moments before speaking again. “Did he talk to you at all?”

Marcus shrugged again and looked away across the clearing. “A little.”

Anne glanced up at him and watched the way his jaw clenched slightly. “About?”

“Nothing in particular. Nothing important anyway.” Marcus could feel her gaze on him, but refused to look down. His mind ran over the conversation he’d had with Harry Potter the day before and he sighed, allowing his head to drop down slightly so that he was looking at the ground. Marcus was determined that there was nothing that Harry Potter would ever be able to do to help him. Harry Potter had killed his father; his whole life had been planned around that act. So how would he react when he found out that Marcus was the son of Lord Voldemort? Would he kill him where he stood? Or turn him into the Ministry of Magic to let others decide what should be done with him? All Marcus was sure of though, was that nothing would go well for him.

Anne reached up and ran her fingers gently along his jaw, guiding his face around so that he was looking at her. He resisted for a moment before submitting to her hand. “Is everything okay?” She asked quietly.

Marcus bit his lip in an attempt to suppress the sudden surge of rage spreading through his body. He pushed Anne away and stood. “Why shouldn’t everything be okay?” He asked forcefully. “Everything is absolutely fine!”

“Hey!” Anne stood and glared at him. “You do not get to treat me like that.” She strode over to him and stared him straight in the face. “How many times do I have to tell you that? You can’t just pull me closer and then push me away whenever you feel like it.” Marcus turned away but Anne grabbed his jumper and forced him to look at her. “I care about you Marcus, a lot.” Anne swallowed hard and bit her lip, stopping herself from saying anymore.

Marcus breathed deeply and shivered, struggling to push these feelings from his body. He sank down to the ground and rested his face in his hands. He didn’t say anything as Anne sat beside him and took his face in her hands.

“Look at me. Damn you Marcus, just look at me.” Anne whispered.

Marcus raised his head slightly and looked at her. “I’m sorry Anne, really. I just...I can’t-”

“Shh,” Anne pressed her fingers against his lips. “Please, please, just try. For me.” She gave him a small, sad smile before kissing him gently.

Marcus nodded slightly and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close against his body.