‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Determination

Arabella ran into the castle, ignoring the probing stares of the other students as she pushed them out of her way. She shouted the password at the fat lady and the portrait swung open, seeing the rush that the girl was in. Arabella stomped up to the dormitory and sat on her bed. She pulled the curtains shut around her and sat in the darkness.

She could feel her eyes stretching wide but couldn’t tell if it was from shock or just her eyes straining to pull in light. Her heart was racing, even though her breathing had now slowed to normal after her frantic run back to the common room.

Arabella shook her head, “No, it can’t be true. It just can’t. I must’ve heard wrong. It just can’t be true. Anne wouldn’t do something like that.” She muttered. “If it was true and Anne knew about it then she would’ve told me. Of course she would’ve. Therefore it isn’t. But why would they be talking about it otherwise?” She lay back and chewed her lip. “Surely, if Anne knew something like that she would’ve told someone else about it, a teacher perhaps. People deserve to know who they’re going to school with. I mean, who knows, tomorrow he could turn around and kill us all, with parents like that.” Arabella paused, “yes, everyone should know. It’s only right for everyone else to know. I could be risking their safety, not to mention mine, if I don’t tell someone.

He must have her under some kind of spell. Yes, that’s it. There’s no other possible way that she would go along with this. No possible way. She was never like that. She isn’t like that. She’s my best friend. She would’ve told me.”

Arabella sat up and pushed the wisps of hair that had fallen into her eyes behind her ears. She had only been young when Lord Voldemort had finally been killed for good. But she remembered the fear. Her home had been full of it before Harry Potter had killed him.

“Harry Potter! Those Death Eaters who came here, they must be working for Marcus now!” She clenched her fists. “Yes! Of course they are! Marcus is going to kill Harry Potter!” Her mouth dropped open. “Merlin’s beard, has he killed before?” She rubbed her hands over her face and drew her knees up to her chin. “Oh Anne, she’ll be next. She doesn’t even realise. But, but she knows that he is the son of Lord Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

The door opened and someone walked in. Arabella opened her curtains and shuffled over to sit on the edge. The girl smiled as she fetched something from her bed and walked out again. Arabella lay down and sighed loudly.

“I just have to help her, otherwise anything could happen.” Arabella whispered to the ceiling above.

“Hey,” Anne smiled as she sat down at dinner.

Arabella glanced up at her and nodded.

Anne rolled her eyes. “What’ve I done now Arry?”

“Hm?” Arabella gave her a smile. “I was just thinking about dinner. I’m starving aren’t you? I mean, all that studying you were doing earlier must’ve made you hungry. I was going to join you, but I couldn’t find you in the common room.”

“Oh, it got a little loud for me so I decided to go to the library.” Anne lied smoothly.

Arabella nodded as if she believed her and smiled again when the food appeared before them.

Anne paused for a moment, watching her friend before she shrugged and piled some food onto her own plate. She looked over at the Slytherin table and smiled at Marcus who had been watching her. Her cheeks flushed when his lips stretched into a small smile.

Arabella watched from the corner of her eye, taking in every detail of the small interaction between the two. Each one of these details reinforced her determination to confront her friend as soon as possible.