Comfortable Liar

Chapter 3: Honesty

honesty; freedom from deceit or fraud

I walked into the kitchen at six in the morning to see that Chris was already sitting down and reading the newspaper. The coffee smelled strong and good, and I poured myself a cup in silence. I added in some sugar and creamer, and then just a little more sugar. I propped my back against the counter as I sipped at the hot liquid, and Chris continued to read the paper.

“Umm… Dad?” I asked. I was still trying to get used to the idea of him being my dad.

“Yeah?” he asked and looked at me. He put his paper down and turned his full attention to me.

“What happened to Alex?” I asked. That was basically the only thing I knew about my bother-his name, age, and birthday. I don’t know what he looks like or anything else about him.

“Things just weren’t working out. He moved to L.A. to live with his mother,” Chris said.

“Oh, okay,” I said and nodded my head.

“Do you want to meet him some time? I still talk to him on occasion, and I’m sure he’d love to meet his sister,” Chris said. Technically I was his half-sister, but I didn’t feel like pointing it out to Chris. I’m sure he knew.

“Yeah, that sounds great,” I said.

“Well, you better get going. You don’t want to be late on your first day,” Chris said with a smile.

“Nope. See you later,” I said and placed my cup in the sink. I walked out of the house, and the first thing I could smell was the ocean. I could get used to that.

It didn’t take long to get to Coney’s, and the door was unlocked when I got there. I let myself inside, and Aiden was already at the counter, wiping it down.

“Morning, Erika!” she yelled happily.

“Good morning, Aiden,” I said as I walked over to the counter. I lifted a piece of it and stepped behind it.

“This one’s for you,” Aiden said and tossed something at me. I looked at it and smiled. It was a plain white apron with my nametag already on it.

“Thanks,” I said.

“No problem,” Aiden said and went back to what she was doing.

“So, what I’m supposed to do now?” I asked.

“It’ll be a while before anyone comes in here, so let’s have story time!” Aiden yelled.

“Story time?” I asked.

“Yeah, you know, how you got here and everything. Want something to drink?” she asked. She was talking so fast that I was starting to get confused.

“Got any Mountain Dew?” I asked.

“Yeah. Go take a seat at one of the tables and I’ll be right back,” Aiden said and disappeared into the back of the shop.

“Okay,” I mumbled to myself and walked over to one of the booths. I sat down and placed my hands on the table. I didn’t have to tell her the truth about everything, did I? No, of course I didn’t! It’s not like I owed her anything.

“I’m back!” Aiden yelled and skipped over to the table. She sat down in front of me and pushed a can of Mountain Dew towards me. She had a can of Coke, and she popped the top. I did the same, and then took a long sip of my drink.

“So, what brings you all the way to Huntington?” Aiden asked. I started to come up with a lie, but then I looked up. Aiden’s eyes were blue with beautiful violet and golden specks. Her eyes were so open and trusting, and yet I could tell that her life hadn’t been easy. It was just like Kelly had said, you wear your soul in your eyes.

“I’m from Alabama. The day I got out of school, my mom and step-dad were arrested for drugs. My mom couldn’t take it, so she committee suicide in jail. Now I’m living with my dad, who I had never met until yesterday,” I said. My complete honesty had shocked me, but it didn’t seem to phase Aiden that much.

“Wow, that sucks. How’re you holding up?” Aiden asked.

“I don’t really know. I keep waiting to just break down and start screaming or something, but it hasn’t happened yet. It’s like I’m numb or something,” I said. Once again, my complete honesty shocked me.

“You just need time to get used to everything, you know? I mean, one day everything was fine, and now you’re living with a complete stranger in a strange place. You’re just adjusting, that’s all,” Aiden said.

“I don’t think I’ve ever met someone quite like you,” I said.

“Why do you say that?” Aiden asked.

“Well, my friend back home probably would have just hugged me and told me everything would be alright. Not tell me why I felt the way I did,” I said.

“Oh, sorry. Kelly keeps telling me I need to think before I speak,” Aiden said. A small blush crept into her pale cheeks, and I smiled.

“Don’t be. I like your method a lot better,” I said and smiled at her.

“Yeah, well, you’re the only one,” Aiden said.

“Okay, now it’s your turn,” I said.

“My turn for what?” Aiden asked.

“Story time. I told the truth, so now it’s your turn,” I said.

“Oh, yeah, right. I’m afraid there’s not much to tell. I lived in Finland up until two years ago. My dad passed away, my mom took off into the unknown, and I came here with the money that Dad left me. I’ve been on my own ever since. I met Kelly about a year ago, and she lets me work here,” Aiden said.

“Wow,” I whispered.

“Wow what?” Aiden asked.

“I can’t imagine what it’d be like to live on my own,” I said.

“It’s not that bad. Especially when you can do whatever you want. I didn’t even need any parent’s permission to start on my art work,” Aiden said. For the first time since I had met her, I really took in her whole appearance.

Her hair was black with purple chunks, and it was short and choppy. Her eyes were the most unusual color I had ever seen. She was easily five-ten, and she was fit with curves. She had snakebites, her bridge was pierced, her ears were pierced five times each, and I think there were a few more. She was wearing shorts, so I had seen a drummer pinup girl on her left calf and a bass on her right one.

“So, is that all the artwork you have?” I asked.

“Nope!” she yelled and jumped up with a smile. She started untying her apron, and I tried to figure out what she was doing.

“What are you doing?” I asked. I had given up on trying to figure it out myself.

“I normally take a dip in the ocean on my breaks, so I always wear a bathing suit under my clothes,” she said and pulled her shirt off. Her back was to me, so she didn’t see my mouth drop open.

She had a corset piercing going down her back, “Helsinki” was across her shoulders in red. I could also see Cherry Blossoms going up her sides. She turned around and graced me with her final tattoo. “Finland” was spelled out going down her chest in black and purple.

“Awesome!” I yelled.

“Which one?” Aiden asked seriously.

“Umm…all of them?” I asked.

“Works for me,” Aiden said. I felt better now that I could place her thick accent. She sat back down after pulling on her shirt and retying her apron, and then she took another sip of her drink.

“So, do you have any tattoos or piercings?” Aiden asked.

“My tongue’s pierced, I have three holes in my ears, and I’ve got “SOS” on the back of my neck,” I said. Aiden shook her head at me and then smiled.

“We’re gonna have to change that,” Aiden said.

“Change what?” I asked.

“You only have one tattoo! You can’t tell me you’re not dying to get another one,” Aiden said.

“Well, another one would be nice to have…” I said and trailed off.

“Haha, yes! We’ll have to get you another one soon,” Aiden said.

“Let me finish saving up for a car first, okay?” I asked.

“Deal,” Aiden said and returned to her drink.

“So, what’s your full name?” I asked.

“Aiden Fiction Angelis.”

“Your name’s so cool. Mine’s normal and boring,” I said.

“What is it?” Aiden asked.

“Erika Mason, no middle name,” I said.

“Is that your dad’s last name, or your mother’s maiden name?” Aiden asked.

“Neither. It’s my step-dad’s. My mom remarried before I was born,” I said with a small smile.

“Oh, so what your dad’s name?” Aiden asked.

“Chris Varkatzas,” I said. Aiden started choking on her drink, and I quickly leaned over the table to pat her back. After a few minutes she was breathing normally again and staring at me with wide eyes.

“Did I say something wrong?” I asked.

“Alex is your brother?!” Aiden yelled.

“Well, umm…yeah. He’s my half-brother,” I said.

“Does Alex know that you’re here?” Aiden asked.

“No. Dad said he was going to talk to him and see if he wanted to meet me though,” I said.

“Of course he wants to meet you! Alex has been talking about his sister for as long as I’ve known him,” Aiden said.

“Wait a minute…how do you know him?” I asked.

“I met Alex and the guys when I first moved here, and we’ve been friends ever since. It sucks that he had to leave,” Aiden said sadly.

“Why’d he leave? I asked Chris this morning, and he just said that things weren’t working out and now Alex is living with his mom,” I said.

“That’s bullshit! Yeah, Alex is living with Julia, but it’s not because things weren’t just ‘not working out’. Alex and Chris kept fighting because Alex anted to play music, and Chris wanted him to get a real job. It got to the point where Alex couldn’t take it anymore, and then Chris kicked him out,” Aiden said.

“Chris kicked Alex out?” I asked.

“Yep. Told him not to come back. He’s tried making up for it, but Alex won’t listen,” Aiden said.

“I’m kinda glad he doesn’t,” I said quietly to myself.

“Same here. How about me and you go up there this weekend when we’re both off?” Aiden asked.

“Do you mean that?” I asked.

“Of course I do!” Aiden yelled.

“Sounds great,” I said and smiled at her. I heard the jingling of a bell, and Aiden smiled across the table at me.

“Time to get to work,” she said.

A Few Hours Later

“How do you do this?” I asked as I ran around behind the counter.

“Lots of practice!” Aiden yelled from the other side.

“Hello, sir. What can I get you?” I asked.

“Just get me a chocolate cone,” he said.

“Coming right up,” I said and went to get his order. I returned a minute later and gave it to him. He paid, I gave him some change, and he went about his business.

Things continued the same for a few more hours, and then things gratefully slowed down. Aiden and I were resting behind the counter as a few customers sat at tables, and we were talking about nothing interesting in particular.

“I don’t know how you do it,” I said.

“You should feel lucky. The assholes are gone for the summer,” Aiden said.

“Assholes? As in a group or individuals?” I asked.

“A group of individuals.”

“Where’d they go?”

“They’re having a little mini-tour. I can’t stand them,” Aiden said.

“Well, let’s just enjoy the asshole-less summer,” I said.

“Sounds good to me,” Aiden said and smiled over at me.

“Same here,” I said and smiled back. I could get used to this-I really could. And that was the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Aiden's amazing layout (doesn't it make you want to drool?), everyone can now know who the leading guy is.

THANKS, AIDEN! I LOVE YOU!

And thank you so much to everyone who's commented and subscribed so far!