Status: Slowly becoming active. Thank you so much for all the comments when I wasn't writing. Helped me a ton. <3

I Never Told a Lie, and That Makes Me a Liar

Chapter Nine.

When I woke up the next morning, I grabbed the paper from a stand, a cup of coffee from Starbucks and I went to go sit on the beach. I scanned the paper to make sure there was nothing about me (there wasn’t) and just drank my cup of coffee. I half considered going to a pay phone and calling one of the guys to let them know I was alright, and it wasn’t worth looking for me. Two things stopped me from doing that. One, they could find out where I am, meaning Jayden would too. Two, the lack of pay phones on the beach. It’d be best for everyone if they just forgot about me.

***

A month later, they still hadn’t forgotten. They kept touring, but they were looking for me. You’d still hear a thing or two around, and at shows they’d be like ‘have you seen this girl?’ from what I’ve heard. Luckily for me, Santa Monica is a big place. I was probably safe. It was sweet that they were looking for me, but it put them in more danger than they realized.

I had just been laying low for the past month. With the new hair, it was hard to tell it was me, but for a while I wore sunglasses. But after the third week, I was pretty sure it was safe to take them off. No one was looking at me anyway. In Santa Monica, I was nobody.

Money started to get tight. I started working at a food stand on the beach, getting to see cute boys in their bathing suits was a definite plus. It wasn’t the best paying job, but it paid for the room in which I was staying, it paid for food, even some new clothes with a little to spare at the end of the week, so I wasn’t going to complain.

On my days off, I started my day at noon. Go to Starbucks, the arcade and sometimes the bookstore. It was just how I was. Once I was in a routine, it stuck until something drastic happened. Something like walking right into Alex Gaskarth.

I was walking out of Starbucks and he was walking in. I kept my head down, but I knew that didn’t work when I heard an ‘excuse me?’ I turned around, raising my eyebrows, hoping I didn’t just get caught.

“Yes?” I asked politely, tilting my head at him slightly. He squinted slightly.

“Do I know you?” he asked. I shook my head.

“No, I don’t think you do,” I said, a bit quicker than what would have been normal. I spun on my heel, heading for the arcade.

***

If there was one place to avoid people, it was the arcade on the pier in Santa Monica. It was a major tourist trap, meaning tons of people, meaning it was easier to blend in. The only person I stuck out to was Andrew, the ginger with the freckles and the pimples who was all of sixteen, probably. He was the one behind the counter who handed out the tokens and the prizes.

When he saw me, he smirked, leaning against the counter and giving me a wink. I rolled my eyes, pulling out a ten and put it down on the counter.

“Tokens, now,” I demanded. He chuckled, standing up straight.

“Here ya go, booface,” he told me, putting a cup of tokens on the counter. “And I’ll give you extra if you give me a kiss.” He leaned his elbows on the counter, puckering his lips. I rolled my eyes again.

“Not happening,” I said shortly. He chuckled a little.

“You’re lucky you’re worth the chase,” he told me. Well, that’s ironic.

“I’m too old for you,” I told him, taking the cup of tokens. He shrugged.

“I like older women.” I turned slightly, pointing at an old lady walking in with a couple little boys.

“She’s all yours,” I giggled, walking away. I spent my day how I usually did, chilling at the Pac-Man machine. As weird as it was, the game was addicting and I could spend hours playing it, which I usually did. It was fun. I was getting closer and closer to breaking the record. It’d happen soon. Occasionally, there’d be a small crowd watching me, which made me laugh slightly. It wasn’t a big deal.

“Step aside! I will be there for the victory kiss!” I heard Andrew shout, and the next thing I knew he was next to me.

“Not going to happen,” I mumbled, pretty engrossed with the game. I continued to hit buttons, biting my tongue as it slightly poked out between my lips. I led the little yellow guy for the last little dot and then he ate it. There it was. In the bright colors, flashing lights and loud sounds was the conformation that I had just beaten the high score.

“Yes!” I threw my hands up in victory. I bit my lip slightly. “Oh, what the hell?” I shrugged slightly, turning towards Andrew. I put my hands on either side of his face, pressing my lips against his. When I pulled away, I took a second to look at his face. He looked shocked, and I giggled slightly.

“Woah,” he mumbled, and then he fainted. I bit my lip, giggling again, turning towards the crowd. My face fell.

“Jack?” I asked incredulously.

“WENDY?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Constructive Criticism would be amazing. Comments of any sort, really. I just want to know what you think.