‹ Prequel: Acting On Love
Status: Inactive

Love's Curtain Call

Rehearsing

The next three weeks consisted of nothing other than relentless rehearsal. The strange thing was, though, that I actually enjoyed every second of it. I was dumbstruck by every moment of it - the feeling of standing on that huge stage, staring out at the empty chairs which would some day be filled by people waiting for the play to begin.

And the rest of the cast were incredible. I was acting among some of the best actors and actresses I'd ever met. The whole thing was even a little intimidating. My co-star was a very friendly young man, possibly a little older than myself. His hair was short, dark and often untamed when he turned up for rehearsal. He was what I'd heard some of the female cast members describe as very attractive at the coffee machines, where they would always spread gossip about every male in the play. I wish I could have agreed with them, although I knew it would take a lot for a man to beat my image of beauty, thanks to Ville.

That was one of the only reasons I could find it in my heart to hold a grudge against him - he'd left me and taken away my ability to love again.

Even the kissing scenes in the play were uncomfortable and awkward for me. Whereas for Kirk, my co-star, I was sure he looked at them differently. Admittedly, he was a good kisser, but I felt something in those kisses which I wish I didn't. I quickly began to wonder if he had any faint feelings for me, or whether he was just a very good actor. Nevertheless, I stayed away from him as much as I could (which wasn't always easy, as we were always practising scenes together). I didn't want him to get the wrong impression from me, or think that I was emotionally available.

The 3 weeks of practice went by surprisingly quickly, and before any of us knew it, Andrew was almost ready to let us loose into the wild.

"Right, everyone, I have an announcement," he said with a smile, standing on the stage, trying to claim our attention. We were spread out on the seats just in front of him, having a break from a whole day of acting. Silence spread amongst everyone the moment they heard this. Andrew never gave out announcements, after all.

"You've all worked so hard over the past few weeks, and the play is looking perfect. I've been talking with one of my collegues from a different apartment - Samantha Green - and we both agree that you're all ready for the first show!" he said happily.

A small explosion of excitement errupted from the actors and actresses. For me, though, I felt that happiness in that moment was impossible. Samantha Green? Were my ears lying to me?

"Right, you've all had a hard day, let's finish early," Andrew continued. "The dress rehearsal is on Thursday, though," he raised his voice, to combat the sound of everyone around me standing up. "I want everyone here an hour earlier for make-up and costumes!"

It didn't take a few seconds until everyone was running to the nearest door, which lead backstage again. Kirk lingered at the door, watching me for a second, as if he were making a decision. As soon as my eyes met his, he turned and left.

I took the opportunity to quickly catch Andrew and ask him about a certain name I'd heard him mention. He was just clearing up some scripts which had been left on the floor of the stage, when I went up to talk to him. We didn't need the scripts anymore, so I didn't know why they were there.

"Hey, Kristen," he said with a smile, as he stood up from the stage floor.

"Hey," I smiled back, feeling my stomach turn with nerves a little.

"You need something?" he asked kindly.

"Uh. . .no, not really. I was just wondering, actually. . .about. . .Samantha green."

He looked confused. "Why, do you know her? I could have sworn it was me they asked to call you. . ." he said, thinking outloud.

"No, it was," I smiled, deciding to just drop the whole thing. "Nevermind, it doesn't matter," I said, turning away.

"Wait, Kristen," he called, stopping me in my path.

"Yes?"

"That is a little odd, actually. Since she did mention something about one of her visits to the university, when we were talking about the play. That must mean you two already know each other," he said with a smile.

"Not really - she came to one of my classes once. You know, it really doesn't matter," I insisted, turning away again.

I felt his hand land gently on my shoulder, stopping me. "I can take you to see her again, if you want," he offered.

"No," I said firmly. "Really, it's fine."

"All right," he said, looking a little offended. He took his hand away. "See you on Thursday, leading lady."

He always called me that - I wished he wouldn't, since it only mounted the pressure even higher. The play was counting largely on me to do well. I'd done well enough in practices, but I had no idea what I was like in front of a proper audience. Really, I had no idea whatsoever, and none of them knew that. . .

I quickly said goodbye to Andrew and went backstage to get my stuff together. A few actresses were still lingering in the changing rooms, talking and having a drink. I walked straight past them, throwing my bag over my shoulder.

I didn't know why I was walking so quickly out of the theatre - I guess it was just because I knew that she was there somewhere. I was just heading towards the exit of the theatre, when, as if fate had intentionly done it to spite me, someone called my name.

"Kristen?"

It was Andrew, thank God. Or so I thought I should have been relieved. . .

"Yes?" I asked impatiently, looking back to see him following me.

"I've got Samantha on the phone - she says she wants to talk to you," he smiled.

What?
♠ ♠ ♠
The story isn't exactly flowing as well as I want it to. . . =[ I'm not really sure why, but hopefully when it gets going it wont be so boring.
And I'm sorry about the no Ville action!
It could still take a little while yet. . .