Killers Are Quiet

Reverse.

They were on the phone one day, after work, talking away like teenagers. About the whole deal, and maybe how they could fix it.
“I’m scared; the killer is still out there.”
“I know, we have to stick together.”
“Always.”
“Never.” A voice came from another extension phone.
“Not funny Mandy.” Adeline laughed uneasily into the phone.
“I swear, it wasn’t me.” Mandy replied.
There was silence on both ends of the phone by now. Then Adeline heard something in the background her friend obviously didn’t hear.
“GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE NOW!” Adeline screamed down the phone line. And eerie silence fell over the phone, then she heard a scream that would ring in her ears for a long time. Adeline dropped the phone, grabbed her car keys and ran out to her car, which was low on petrol, luckily Mandy lived 2 blocks away. She arrived out the front of Mandy’s house and noticed the front door was wide open; she jumped out of her car and ran into the kitchen.

Adeline was shocked at what she saw. There were small pieces of what used to be her friends favourite coffee cup on the ground and blood. Everywhere. Adeline burst into tears and placed her hand over her mouth trying not to be sick. All of a sudden she heard a loud noise and hid under the table. She saw feet walk past the table. She made a decision which could be her last. She grabbed at the persons ankle.
“Gotcha psycho!” she screamed. The killer felt flat on their face.
“Get off me you cr-..” He trailed off. Adeline knelt over him and turned him onto his back, keeping him pinned to the ground.
“Josh?” she said stunned. Adeline felt a million emotions in almost 10 seconds.
“Adeline, it’s not what it seems.” He begged. She noticed blood on his hands and started to cry.
“I trusted you.” She started, staring into his green eyes, which for the first time, were rimming with tears.
“I was protecting you, from them; they were trying to break us up.” He replied his green eyes rimming with tears. Inside he knew he had betrayed her, but he saw the killings as a way for them to be together. With out no interruptions. Together forever.
“I have no other choice.” She replied.

Adeline was giving details to a police officer when her boyfriend was taken away in a police car. All she could do was stare at the police car and think of who was in it. The bright lights from the cars were annoying her eyes, which were red. Sliding from her cheek bones were tears, she didn’t want to cry, but had no other choice.

Josh sat in the back of the police car, playing with a velvet box. He had been un-cuffed in the car. The passenger officer looked back and noticed the box.
“Tonight was the night hey?” He asked Josh. He looked up and nodded in a reply. The officer smiled and turned back around. The murderer just looked out the window and smiled. He would be with her to protect her, to hold her. No matter what.

Adeline got home that night, with a simple test. It could be life changing. She waited for 15 minutes, but it felt like she was waiting for someone to answer her calls from a phone company. She didn’t want to know the result, but it had to be done.
Positive.
All that was on her mind now was how she was going to spend the rest of her life with a reminder of Josh, her wonderful boyfriend.