Don't Stop If I Fall

Chapter 10

After school
Gerard's POV

School was made bearable today only because Sonny was there.
We didn't spend every class together, but most of the time there we spent with each other.
We talked. And talked and talked and talked. And passed notes.

I linked my hand with Sonny's and we didn't even turn our heads when Ian whispered "Faggots" on our way to lunch.

I went to the library during lunch becuase, as usual, I kept the money I was given for it.
Sonny came with me and had me laughing so hard that I knocked over the table and got us kicked out.
Ah, it was fun.

Now we are on our way to the little ice cream shop where Ayden works.

"So. How long will it take to get there?" Sonny asked, breaking the silence.

"It's right around the corner. Ayden should be starting his shift right about..." I glanced at my watch "Now."

"Ok." He smiled at me.

His smile was immensly adorable.
I put my around his shoulder and pulled him closer to me.
I don't care if other people don't like that we are gay.
It's all worth it just to see Sonny smile.

We walked into the sweet smelling ice cream parlor, a small bell jingling above us as we entered.

Ayden emerged from the back of the store and took his place behind the counter.
When he saw us he smiled enthusiastically and waved a black fingernail-polished hand.
"Hey Gee, Sonny!" Ayden said "What're you here for?"

I shook my head, grinning at his idiotic question.

"Ice cream, Ayden. Ice cream."

"Ohh...gotcha." He said and picked up the big scooping spoon "What kind for you, Gee?" he asked.

"Umm how about...cookie dough. Two scoops." I said after examining my choices.

"And you, Sonny?" he asked, looking at Sonny.

"Mint chocolate chip. One scoop."
No wonder Sonny's so skinny.
How can you have only one scoop of ice cream???

"Mmmk...Here." Ayden said after a couple minutes and shoved the cones into our hands.
"That'll be $2.50. The 50 is for your extra scoop, Gerard."

Sonny reached into his pocket and began to pull out his wallet, but I stopped him by grabbing his wrist.

"No, I'll pay, Sonny. I want to." I reached down into my own pocket and pulled out the money, handing it to Ayden.
Ayden raised his eyebrows, but took the money and put it away wordlessly.

Sonny and I walked over to a booth.

I was still holding his hand.