Don't Stop If I Fall

Chapter 2

I walked through the doors of Saint Mary's Catholic Acadamy, humming Nirvana's 'Breed'.

I walk over to my locker and start putting my books away.

"Hey fag." an all-too-familier voice whispered in my ear.

"Leave me the fuck alone, Ian." I said loudly, not caring if the whole world heard me.

"Oh, care to say that again, faggot? You'll be paying a visit to your new best friends at the E.R." he whispered dangerously as he whipped me around.

I overreacted, and instead of being rational, I thought with my fists.
I swung and got him somewhere between his jaw and nose.

He fell into the wall and gripped his bleeding nose.

Of course, just at that moment Sister Julianna turned the corner down that hall.

"Mr. Way! What is the meaning of this?!" She screeched and rushed to Ian's side.

"I was provoked!" I yelled, hoping, for once, she would side with me and not that suck-up jock.
She gave me a death glare.

Of course shes not gonna side with me.
I'm just the freak who wears eyeliner and looks like he's never spent a day in the sun.

She helped Ian up.
"C'mon, Mr. Thomson. Let's get you to the nurse and get that nose taken care of."
She turned to me.
"And you, Mr. Way-" she spat my name out like it was venom on her tongue. "Go to Father Jerome. Now."

"But--"I started to protest.

"No excuses, off with you."

And with that she turned and 'helped' a fake-limping Ian to the nurse.

"The old hag always hated me." I muttered and walked to Father Jerome's office.

"Again Mr. Way? This the second time this week and it's only Wednesday. What is it this time?"
He looked at me with sad, slightly sympathetic eyes.

"I got in a fight, Sir. With Ian Thomson. But I would like to add that it was not unprovoked." I cast my eyes down, slightly ashamed of my actions. " I gave him a bloody nose."

He shook his head and sighed in dissapointment.
"Mr. Way, I'm sorry to tell you that this calls for another detention. Now we will call Mr. Thomson in to question him about it later, but since violence was involved on your part, thats an automatic detention for you. Now off to class with you. You've already missed half your math class."
He smiled wryly and ushered me out the door.

I took my time getting my book and walking to class. By the time I got there, I only had about 5 minutes left of class so I just stood outside the door until the bell rang.

I was happy when all the students flooded out into the halls and surrouned me. It was nice to be lost in the crowd and not singled out for once.