Don't Stop If I Fall

Chapter 4

[still Sonny’s POV]

The bell rang.
My mind was reeling.

Is it possible he likes me?

It took me a minute to come to my senses and by the time I had he was already up and out the door.
I quickly gathered my things and ran after him.

“Gerard!” I yelled, turning the corner of the hall.
He heard me and stopped walking, turning around to face me.

I slowed, my breath caught in my throat.

“Hi…” I said, though my voice was barely audible.

“Hey?” he replied, a strange look making it’s way across his face.
He must be wondering what type of psycho I am, to chase him down two halls and when I catch him to only say ‘hi’.

I forced myself to go on.
“I, uh, saw the picture that you were drawing.”

He immediately began to blush deeply and his eyes lowered to his shoes.
“Oh,….uh, you weren’t supposed to see that.” He laughed, but it seemed forced.
“Not yet, at least.”

He looked up and smiled weakly, the rosy blush still displayed on his cheeks.

“It was a really good drawing, Gerard. You must be one of the best artists I know.” I looked up at him, waiting for his reaction.

His smile broke into a broad grin and he suddenly leaned in and hugged me!
I was so surprised by his sudden, bold move that at that moment I didn't even hug back.

When the realization finally set in that he was hugging me I wrapped my arms around his back and buried my face in his shoulder.
I smiled into his shoulder and stayed leaned against him for a few more seconds before he broke the embrace and pulled back, his lips curved into a smile, his cheeks still a bit pink.

I grinned back at him.

"You wanna get outta here?" I asked, hoping that he'd say yes.

"You mean ditch? Mr. Moore," he teased "it's only your first day! Now do we really want to start off on the wrong foot?'

He smirked and when I didn't say anything back he just grabbed my arm and started walking.

"OK, Sonny. Let's go." he said.

I breathed a sigh of relief and giggled.

"Race me?"

He laughed and nodded vigorously and we took off running all the way to the back door of the school.

We took a look at each other and he nodded before we burst out the heavy double doors into the sunny, spring day.