Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 10

“Hey there Elle.” Oli said. His voice was monotone and emotionless. This was not usual Oli. Normally he had something witty or charming to say.

“Uh, hey.” I said quietly, at loss for words.

Anna walked past me and pushed me forward a little again. I stumbled into Oli who caught my arms and kept me balanced. I was staring at Anna wishing my eyes could throw daggers. I looked back at Oli when he started to chuckle.

I still hadn’t moved away since Anna pushed me and I was kind of shocked to see how close together we really were; probably just inches. His hands were still on my arms and it didn’t seem like he was going to let go any time soon.

“Well that was nice of her.” Oli commented and gave an odd smile. “C’mon an’ dance with me. Might stop her from pickin’ on you again.”

“I, uh, don’t really know how to dance exactly. Might not be the best idea.” I said, slightly stumbling over my words. I know Anna would disapprove of my excuses.

Oli leaned down and whispered into my ear, his usual ‘charm’ was back, “I’ll teach ya, hon.”

His hand slid down my arm and to my hand. He pulled me into my very crowded living room where music was pounding against the walls. Once there, he turned me around, bring my back into his chest and he placed his hands on my waist and hips; no lower and no higher, thank god.

I felt his breath graze my ear and his lips were close. “Don’t be so tense Elle.” He whispered, “Just move with me.”

I tried to relax but it was very hard. I had never, willingly at least, been this close to him. His body moved with the music, maybe it’s just me but I thought it was odd that a tattooed guy like Oliver would be able to dance.

I let my body sway with his and my hands covered his on my waist. He was rambling on about things in my ear and telling me once and a while to relax. This was a huge transition from me disliking everything about him to me wanting to be closer.

Anna’s numerous tips flooded through my ears. She had told me over and over to push aside any of the negative things about him for now, so I did. I didn’t think of the fact that once he was dancing with me he would most likely go find another girl better at it.

The upbeat song that was playing changed and turned slow. This made me nervous all over again. It didn’t seem to phase Oli at all. He turned me around again and pulled me to him, resting his hands on my lower back.

A small smirk formed on his lips when I didn’t really respond. “Aye, this is when you put you’re arms ‘round my neck and you move a bit closer.”

I blushed and linked my arms around his neck and pushed my body against his. My head was tilted to the side a bit and his head fit perfectly next to mine, again he was whispering things in my ear.

He was basically the typical boy who says what you want to hear, but I wasn’t complaining. It was sweet, and whether or not they were lies, I didn’t care.

“You look really fit tonight.” He whispered softly, “You should definitely wear this more often.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I replied just as quietly. I wish I could pull off the charm and seductive act that most girls could. I’m challenged.

He trailed one of his hands up and down my side as we danced, I liked the feeling. There were a lot of people in here now that the music changed back to something a little faster, but not much. Oli didn’t waist anytime before spinning me and backing me up into him again and wrapping his arms around me.

I mimicked his movements and leaned my head back onto his right shoulder. That was both a good and bad move to make.

Oli moved one hand up and brushed my hair away from my neck and kissed the skin below my ear softly, letting his lips linger. I closed my eyes a bit and leaned into him as he did it again in the same spot.

He pulled back from my neck and breathed in my ear, “It’s getting’ crowded, want to get outa ‘ere? Maybe ‘ead outside or somethin‘?”

&&

This time, I was the one leading as we exited my house through the front door. It was chilly outside so I crossed my arms as Oli and I started to walk down the street.

We were a few houses away when Oli stopped me and uncrossed my arms, taking one of my hand in his. It was the same feeling as the night we had held hands before. His hands were nice and warm.

I was starting to like this feeling of him holding me; whether it was this or us dancing again. Of course, I felt like a complete hypocrite. I was supposed to hate Oli, hate everything about him, but I liked this right now.

Of course, things could change and such. And all of this could blow up in my face, but maybe I needed to listen to Anna for once and live in the moment.

“I can be romantic and nice sometimes,” He spoke up out of nowhere. “I’m not always laddish or typical manwhore, as you put it.”

“What does laddish mean exactly?” I asked, kind of ignoring the other things he said.

“Basically loud and arrogant.” He replied. A small awkward silence started.

“I know you’re not always. Oli.” I said after a while, “Just mostly.”

He smiled at this and nodded. “But ya’know, I can be really cute with girls sometimes, like all the cliché ‘n’ typical stuff that’s in the films.”

After saying this, with his hand still in mine, he lifted our hands up and spun me around and back unto him, dipping me a bit before leaning me back up. I grinned at him, letting go of all the previous negativity towards him, and let him dance around with me in the middle of the sidewalk.

Grabbing me by the waist, he tickled me a bit before picking me up and spinning me around. Once he set me down, he pulled me in close and his look changed from cute and joking to cute and serious.

“Gah, I feel like I’ve kissed you a buncha times, on the neck ‘n’ such,” Oli whispered getting increasingly closer. “Just never exactly where I wanted to.”

I swallowed my nerves and spoke with confidence while I linked my arms around his neck like they had been earlier, “Then maybe you should.”

“Well, ‘ave you ever even kissed someone?” He asked, jokingly. “You seem a bit shy to ‘ave kissed many.”

“Maybe one or two.” I replied, it was actually just one and it had been a disaster.

He smiled at me and tucked hair behind my ear and placed his hand against my cheek. His eyes met mine for a second and I found myself glancing down at his lips and his piercings.

He kept inching closer before he shut his eyes and closed the gap between us. I closed my eyes as our lips touched and I moved my hands up and into his hair.