Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 13

I don’t think I have ever consecutively watched this many movies in a row. Oli and I were probably on our fifth movie. Predictable as it is, we were still on his bed. His arms were wrapped around me, and we were laying in an awkward position, but I liked it.

“Oli, what time is it?” I asked, not being able to see his alarm clock and not wanting to grab my phone.

He leaned up and looked the opposite way from the T.V. towards his bedside table. “Uhm, it’s ‘round 4:30a.m.”

“Ah shit.” I replied. I didn’t expect it to be that late, or early, however you look at it. “I might have to go then.”

Oli’s arms tightened around me and he brought me closer to his body. He whispered and complained in my ear, “No, ya can’t leave. I’m comfortable.”

“So you want me to sacrifice my freedoms for your comfortableness?” I asked, twisting my body around to face him.

He gave a cheeky smile and nodded. “Of course, ya could pull the trick of not goin’ home until the after noon and sayin’ that ya left real early.”

Damn I hate this boy, he thinks of everything I can’t. “Well I guess that would work. Only problem is, do I really want to spend that much more time with you?”

And the answer was yes, because as much as I hated falling for Oliver Sykes, it was happening; slowly but surely. As uncliche as I would like to be, I just wanted to be with him.

“It would offend me if ya didn’t want to.” Oli replied and stared at me, poking my nose. I wrinkled my nose and turned my head into his pillow. I noticed, oddly, that it smelled like the cologne he wore.

“So if you can stay, does that mean we can sleep now? ‘Cause I’m really tired.” He asked.

I peeked out of the pillow, again more than a little unsure about whether that was a good idea. I mean what could it hurt? I need to experience a sleep over with a guy once in my life, why not now?

My answer came without any words. I slipped under the blankets we laying on and took off my jacket, tossing it on the floor. I sat up though and crossed my legs Indian style, the blanket over my lap and facing him. Oli grinned at me and joined me underneath the blankets, sitting the same way in front of me.

I swear if it was possible, my eyes nearly popped out of my head when he took off his shirt. He had so many more tattoos that I thought he did.

I mean I’m not stupid, I noticed the ones on his neck and arms, but I didn’t know they practically covered his whole upper body; plus, I had never really paid too much attention to them, as odd as that seems.

“What?” He asked, his face looking at me quizzically. “There somethin’ on me? You would tell me if there was a spider or somethin’, right?

I laughed a little, thinking it was weird that spiders would be the first thing he thought of. “No, it’s your tattoos. I didn’t know you had that many.”

“Oh.” He said, and smiled again. “Yeah, them damn artists weren’t kiddin’ when they said you get one and you’ll want another. Now look at me.”

I was looking at him. I was studying him. Right in the middle of his chest was a skull eating a coffin with wings and random designed all around it. Down further on the side of his stomach was what looked like a sea creature, and in the middle of his lower stomach was an eagle with roses.

“What made you think of all of them?” I asked, now looking at his colorful arms.

“Most of it reflects my past.” He admitted. This wasn’t him joking about how many he had, this was him being mostly serious with me. “Also, I think about death related things a lot, I guess that’s where a lot of it comes from too.”

His right arm looked a lot more peaceful than the other. It has little polka dots and stars as the background and hearts and designs. Totally opposite was his left arm, it was darker and less spaced out. The designs looked like dark creatures and patterns.

I reached out and touched his neck, wondering if the rose tattoo hurt when he got it. I looked up and met his eyes, realizing that he was watching me as I studied at him. I knew me staring made him feel venerable.

I smiled at him softly as I aimlessly traced my finger from his neck, across his collar bone, and down his right arm. All the tattoos were pretty intriguing. I could look at them all day.

He lifted his left hand to my face. I brought my eyes back to his and I moved my hand back into my own lap.

This was one of those moments where you feel frozen in time. I felt like there were no other people in the world right now.

“C’mere,” He whispered softly and laid down, patting the spot next to him. I moved over and set my head on his chest, letting him wrap his arm around me. We fell asleep fast, none of us really knowing how tired we were.

____

As I woke up in the morning, a panic started to set in when I didn’t realize where I was right away. It took me blinking a few times and widening my eyes to notice that my colorful view was really Oli’s chest.

I leaned up a bit and looked around, spotting his alarm clock. It was nearly one in the afternoon. Now, I sat up fully and rubbed my eyes.

Suddenly, the full impact of me sneaking out and staying over at Oli’s sunk in. I can’t believe I actually went through with it. If James finds out, both Oli and I are dead.

Plus, I was getting mad at myself. This all let Oli know that I cared for him, which left me venerable and even slightly weak. Now he could either make me or break me, and both options scared me.

I felt Oli’s body move and he sat up also, breaking me out of my thoughts. He shook around his hair and brushed it flat with his fingers before he smiled at me lightly and laid back down, spreading his arms out and exhaling.

I fell back on the bed too and let him take my hand. He sweetly held it up near his face and pecked my palm before laying our hands back down. We didn’t talk at first, for the most part there was really no reason too. Until we remembered the time.

“When are ya plannin’ to head home?” He asked softly, as if scared to break the silence.

“Probably soon. I need to get back before they start suspecting things.” I replied, “I normally don’t go out at all.”

He got up first and I followed, checking a mirror on the door first to make sure my hair didn’t look too horrible, and we started to exit the door.

Quickly, Oli backed up, almost knocking me over and back into his room and he shut the door. I was about to say something when he covered my mouth with his hand and shook his head.

“Your brother is in the living room playing video games with Curtis.” Oli whispered, his voice slightly annoyed.

&&

“What, why?” I whispered back. This was not good. “Well this is shit. I’ll just go out your window.”

“Erm, that’s a problem.” Oli said giving a hesitant smile and he rubbed the back of his neck. “My window kinda doesn’t open really.”

“How exactly does it not open?” I asked. This situation was just getting worse.

“Well it’s a stupid reason, I guess.” Oli explained, “Curtis and I were in ‘ere one day, and we were wrestlin’ a bit and fell into the window. It’s like permanently jammed now.”

I exhaled and shook my head at him. I should really question Oli and Curtis’s intelligence. “You’re stupid. So what do I do now?”

“I could get Lee to distract James and then sneak ya out the back door that’s down the hall.” Oli said, “I just have to get my phone and text him.”

See, I knew something was up when Oli’s voice got quieter as he said ‘get my phone’. “Please tell me your phone is in this room.”

He gave me that hesitant smile again. “It’s actually in the kitchen charging. But don’t worry, I can go get it, and you can stay in ‘ere. Hold on.”

Before I could protest Oli walked out of his door and shut it behind him. I heard him greet my brother and Curtis. He was a pretty good liar, his voice didn’t hide any mischief behind it as he spoke to James. There was no way you could tell he was secretly hiding me away.

I walked around his room, studying all the random things he had in there. I wasn’t been snoopy really, I was just looking around at his posters and the books on his dresser.

I started to pick up a tattoo book when Oli’s door opened and closed really fast. I turned my head and looked at Oli, who was already texting Lee on his phone. He looked up at me and smiled, waving his phone around in the air triumphantly.

The phone dinged with the reply and a moment later we heard a crash out in the living room followed by cussing from Curtis and James. Oli opened the door and looked out before waving me over. He ushered me out the door quickly, I looked sideways just in time to see Lee give us a thumbs up, and then Oli guided me through the hallway and away from the living room.

We reached a door leading to the backyard and slipped out of it. Oli turned me around to face him and pressed me against the wall, smirking at me.

“Well that was fun.” He commented and leaned into me, kissing me lightly and pulling away before I wanted him to. “Want me to run ya home?”

“Nah,” I replied sarcastically, “I’m going to walk the six or so miles back to my house.”

He shrugged and backed away from me, “Well if ya insist, I won’t stop ya.”

I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him close to me again. I kissed him like he has kissed me, both teasing and playful. “You better take me Mr. Sykes.”

After making out for a good five minutes and having Oli take me back to my house I was forced to come up with a good alibi for my mom about my random disappearance this morning. Once she accepted it, or pretended to accept it, I high tailed it out of the kitchen not wanting her to notice my bad lying skills.

It wasn’t until after I had been up in my room for a while and thought about all today and yesterday night that I realized something; was it a big deal that Oli and I were doing all this kissing and sneaking around if he had made no effort in starting a relationship? Or was that completely normal?