Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 19

Today was not a nice day by any means. Not only was it cloudy, dark, and threatening to rain, but I also had an immense hang over. To add to my terrible mood, I had woken up this morning to an empty space in my bed.

The grass in my backyard was slightly damp as I sat down on it, not caring if the moister made marks on my jeans. With a book in one hand and the other pulling on the strings from a hole in my ripped jeans, I sat in the cool air trying to focus on the words in the book.

A small drop of water hit the page I was reading. At first I had to double check that I wasn’t crying or anything before I looked up into the clouded sky as another small drop landed on my forehead. I closed my eyes and felt another two drops; one hitting my cheek and the other on my arm.

Sighing, I closed my book and tossed it under the patio and into safety from the rain. I, on the other hand, didn’t move from my stop on the grass. I leaned back and let the rest of my body come in contact with the moisture and dirt of the grass and stared up into the sky, blinking as the rain drops grazed my skin more frequently.

The rain started to change from small, light drops to larger, more heavy drops as I continued to lay there. Now my eyes were closed and rain was starting to wash over all my exposed skin. It didn’t take long before I became drench with the chilly sky water. My breathing was also calm and deep, I could fall asleep right here in the rain.

“Elle?” I hear my mom calling from the back door. From her voice I knew she could see me and she was probably wondering what the hell I was doing. “Why don’t you come inside, honey? I don’t want you want you becoming sick.”

It took a moment for me to respond. I guess half of me hoped she would just go back inside and let me lay there, acting like a sponge as I soaked up the water, but she didn’t. The door never shut, and after peaking one of my eyes open, I saw her still standing the doorway, waiting for me.

“I’ll come inside later!” I called back, shutting my eyes again. I didn’t really mind if I got sick or not, I wasn’t in the mood to deal with my family right now. Instead I continued to soak up the water, a numbing kind of cold washing over me.

A few noises sounded through the backyard but I ignored them. Dirt in the grass started to turn mushy and suddenly the rain drops hitting my upper body stopped. Peaking open one eye, I saw Oliver. He always seemed to show up at odd moments.

“I’m sorry I left ya this morning’,” He started to say as he stuck a hand out for me. I latched on to it, my wet hand meeting his semi-dry one. “I heard James wonderin’ around and decided I should go. Just thought I should explain before I got ya mad at me.”

Nodding, I accepted this as a good excuse and looked up into the sky, trying to keep my eyes open as rain drops fell onto my face. My hand was still holding onto Oli’s and he pulled on it, tugging my towards him. My eyes were focused on the clouds above as he brought his hand to my face, lowering my chin so he could kiss me. We did a lot of kissing lately; not so much talking and so much kissing.

Never before had I kissed someone in the rain. I liked it, at first, until the water started mixing in with our intense kiss. That’s when it became awkward, yet it was still a heated kiss. The cold of the rain was finally getting to me now that I was exposed to his warm body heat.

“Is James home?” I asked, almost in a whisper. I looked at him studying him, noticing how his hair was stringy from the water and clinging to his forehead. He was still as cute as always. All it took was him shaking his head no before I pulled him towards my house and inside.

We made out way up into my dry and warm bedroom and I threw open my closet. I was desperately searching for something, other than body heat, to warm me up. First thing I noticed was my collection of over sized band t-shirts. I took one of the hanger and held it up to Oli, questioning to see if he wanted it.

He nodded and took it from me, peeling of his wet shirt and setting it aside. I secretly wanted to take my shirt back and tell him he had to do without so I could stare at him, but after my glimpse, he put the shirt on and started to shake the water from his hair.

Turning to my dresser, I pulled out a pair of pajama pants and an old, slightly over tight black tank top. I went into my bath room and changed. It hugged the curves of my chest maybe a little too well, causing Oliver to shoot me a flirty look as I stepped back into my bedroom. Blood filled my face, making me turn a soft shade of pink as I blushed.

“Come cause mischief with me?” He asked cutely, reaching out to bring me closer to him. I obliged and walked into his embrace, nuzzling my head into his neck. “Matt K is havin’ a small kick back tonight an’ I need a partner to play pool with.”

“I don’t know how to play pool.” I informed him. I actually did know, but only the basics, other than that we were sure to lose if he was my partner. He shrugged it off. “Does that mean I have to change into actual clothes then?”

“Nah, it’s just goin’ to be some close friends of ours. Knowin’ Lee he’s probably in his jammies too.” Oli said, starting to head for my door. He added one last bit, “Plus I like that top on ya, looks good.”

&&

“Alright Elle, the point is to not get the white ball in the pocket.” Matt K instructed and took the pool stick from me, walking around to the other side of the green table and leaning down, taking his shot. Of course he made it. Him and all the guys were upstaging me. Good thing Oli was sacrificing himself to be on my team or I’d be doing worse than I am now.

Matt started to hand the pool stick back to me but Oli took it, winking at me before leaning over the table and aiming. He hit the ball and made the shot, him and the others made it look so damn easy. Since we made it, we got to go again. Oli held the stick out to me and I cautiously took it.

“Aye, come ’ere,” He said to me, motioning to the edge of the table near him. I walked over and listened as he instructed me to try and aim. I leaned over and attempted to line up the white ball with a solid colored one. He came up behind me and set one of his hands on my side and the other helping me aim. I liked him this close. “See, ya got to look where it’ll go when ya hit it, not just where you’re goin’ to hit it.”

I nodded and leaned into him, making an excuse to be even closer to him. He whispered down in my ear as he pulled our joined arm back and pushed it forward, hitting the solid ball into the pocket. He pecked my cheek and leaned up, against what I’d want, and went to make another shot on his own.

Some of the guys couldn’t hold back their comments they were snickering about. All in good fun, Curtis was the first to speak up. “Aye Oli, if I flirt with ya a bit and bend over, stickin’ my arse out, will ya teach me how to aim too?”

I held back a small giggle as I watched Oli’s expression. He was grinning as another ball sunk into the pocket and he leaned in to aim. Matt K’s comments were next. “Well, we could use this to our advantage, couldn’t we Curtis? I say Elle shakes her arse around a little and distracts good ol’ Oli for us.”

This time I did laugh, covering my mouth with my hand as I eyed the two of them. Curtis wiggled his eyebrows at me and Matt spoke again. “Yeah? What do ya say, Elle? Ya up for comin’ to the dark side and makin’ your own team lose?”

Still smiling, I shrugged and nodded, walking over to Oli where he was aiming and attempted to look sexy as I leaned on the pool table. Oliver merely glanced my way, winked, and sunk the purple ball into the pocket.

“Aw would ya look at that,” Lee commented, a hint of laughter in his voice, “Doesn’t phase him one bit. Great plan there Matt.”

“Ahh, shut your face.” Matt said and took the pool stick from Oli once he missed the ball. I think he missed on purpose because he was quickly near me, one arm wrapping around my torso.

I turned to face him and brought my hands up, pulling his face down to mine and ignored the whistles from the others as I kissed him briefly. Pulling away, I spoke, “I think I need another pool lesson, Oli.”