Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 2

Just as I thought it would be, the party was packed almost wall to wall with people. The house it was held in wasn’t small, but it definitely wasn’t large enough for all these people. I tried to push my uncomfortable feelings aside and followed my brother as he maneuvered through the crowds of people; he was most likely looking for someone, ha, good luck with that.

Eventually, we entered a room with a significantly lower amount of people. It was a nicer looking room with about fifteen people lounging on couches. This room was so much better than the rest of the house. I no longer felt like I was suffocating.

“James! Hey man.” A skinny, blonde haired guy jumped up from the couch and gave my brother one of those weird man hugs. I recognized him as Steven, one of my brothers friends from high school, I think he dyed his hair.

“Ah, why hello Elle.” He said and turned to look at me, “How’s it going?”

I knew what he meant. Last time I was at one of his parties, I ended up leaving after freaking out. I shrugged at him and let him hug me as a hello. He pushed my brother and me farther into the room and motioned for us to take a seat and the introductions begun.

I was seated next to Cristy who was your typical blonde, big boobed, and flirty girl. I ignored her. The others around me, whose names I admittedly forgot right away, seemed alright. They all had plastic red cups in their hands and were talking amongst themselves. I sat their awkwardly, having no one to talk to really, other than Cristy, but she wasn’t an option.

“Aye Steven!” A call came from the doorway. I followed everyone else’s gaze and looked over my shoulder to the door. “Now that I’m ‘ere, can we turn this into an actual party?”

A tall and skinny lanky looking guy stood there. His body language was screaming player at me. He leaned against the door frame with a bottle of Jack Daniels in one hand and a bag of chips under one of his heavily tattooed arms. Steven jumped up and greeted him the same way he had to my brother, before giving everyone a wave to follow, and leaving with the strange person.

“C’mon Elle,” My brother called, “Be social.”

Fuck you, I wanted to tell him. I would be social if I felt like it, not because he told me to. But as usual, I kept my mouth shut and followed the other people out of the room. Typical, I’m always the follower.

The group wandered into the kitchen, which seemed to be the most packed spot in the house. The tattooed guy set down the bottle of booze and chips and started rummaging through the cabinets. He grabbed a few shot glasses and set them on the counter before pouring the auburn colored liquid of Jack Daniels into them.

“So who wants a shot?” He yelled loud enough that people around him could hear.

He took one for himself before stepping back so others could grab the remaining glasses. My brother grabbed one, followed by Steven who grabbed two.

“Here Elle.” Steven handed me one. “A shot may do ya good, maybe you’ll loosen up a bit.”

He winked at me before toasting with my brother and downing the shot. I looked at the small glass in my hand and swished the liquid in a circle. I knew it tasted bad, I didn’t like Jack D that much, but I think Steven was right. I felt myself start to get the chills as I prepared to take the drink. Please, not now, I told myself, don’t start this now.

“Hey hon, don’t just stare at it.” The tattooed guy said from behind me. He leaned in close to my ear, breathing against my skin. “Just down it.”

He made me nervous, and slightly embarrassed that I was the last one with a full shot glass. I took in a large breath of air, trying to clear out my anxious feelings. I pressed the glass up to my lips before tilting the head and the cup back, gulping down the disgusting drink.

“There ya go.” He said, I hadn’t realized he was still so close. He kissed me quick right under my right ear where he had been whispering before. He grabbed a red cup with some foreign alcohol and paraded off into the crowd.

&&

Suddenly I was alone. My brother went off with his friends and I was standing alone, trying to talk my mind down and calm myself. I walked over to an ice chest placed on top of one of the counters and grabbed a soda out, popping the top and taking a drink. I stepped out of the kitchen and into the living room.

Now it seemed, either people were swaying side to side or my mind was starting to spin. I closed my eyes for a moment before opening them and forcing my way through the room and out the front door. Once outside I breathed in the cool night air and sighed. I pulled out my phone and attempted to text my brother, I hid all signs of me freaking out and casually asked where he was. Replying that he was in the backyard, I made my way back into the house, through the living room, and out a sliding glass door in the kitchen.

Being outside was much quieter than being inside, but there were still a countless number of people lingering. I caught sight of Steven’s bleached hair and headed in that direction. I joined the circle of four people they were standing with and just listened.

“Aye people.” An odd familiar voice was behind me, “Any one want refills?”

I turned my head slightly to see the tattooed guy again, holding a large bottle of some type of liquor.

“How ‘bout you?” He asked me and then looked at my Dr. Pepper can, “Got any booze in there?”

I shook my head and hesitated before holding it towards him. He took the cap off the liquor and leaned the bottle over my soda, pouring a small amount inside of the can. He twisted the cap back on whatever it was and set it on a lawn chair next to the group, and then sat himself down.

“You drunk yet Oli?” Steven asked chuckling. James just smiled and looked over. At least the guy is no longer nameless.

“Ha ha you sure are funny.” Oli said. He was now leaned back on the lawn chair looking up at Steven and my brother. He had a clever look on his face and he replied cockily, “We all know who can handle their alcohol the best.”

Steven and James nodded in agreement and both took drinks from their cups. I took a drink of my soda, half forgetting the fact it had recently been spiked. I kept the look of disgust from forming on my face and tried to get myself used to the now bitter tasting Dr. Pepper.

“How ya holding up kid?” Steve asked. James nudged him as if to shut up and gave him a look. I figured they had probably talked about me, Steven always found it amusing at the things I’d have attacks over.

“I’m good.” I lied.

“Uh-huh, okay then.” Steven said, his voice full of sarcasm. He wasn’t helping, it was like he was egging me on. I could only take so much of him without getting annoyed.

A while later, half way through a conversation, a girl came up behind my brother. She wrapped her arms around him and whispered something in his ear. He smiled and turned around, kissing her. He grabbed her hand and winked at Steven before walking into the house.

Another girl came up and passed both Steven and me and moved to the chair behind me. She sat on the Oli guy’s lap and ran one of her fingers down his jaw line, making him look at her.

“Why hello lovely.” He cooed. She smiled and giggled, sweeping her hair from one side to another and jutting out her boobs in a very skanky manner.

“He’s quite good with the ladies.” Steven commented. “Usually the guy can be an asshole, but some how he manages to get a lot more ass than I do. Maybe I need some lessons from him or something.”

I just nodded and turned my head away from what used to be Oli and a girl, and was now pretty much two people who melted into each other and were forcefully making out. Steven continued to ramble on about all these random things, and frankly, I didn’t really give a shit, but him talking was better than me being alone. A few minutes later, the girl that was kissing Oli bumped into me as she got up. She walked past Steven and ran her hand along his shoulder and winked at him.

“Well damn, sloppy seconds or not, I’m a lucky bastard. I think I’m off to go see what action I can get.” He commented and started to turn and follow that girl. He looked over his shoulder and smiled cheekily at me, “Try not to freak out, kay?”

Asshole.

I was alone again, and this time I couldn't find my brother to save me. I was starting to wish I hadn’t come, because now, with James gone and he having his keys with him, I’d have no way to leave if I started panicking. Thinking this definitely didn’t help my state of mind. I took a few big gulps from my soda, trying my best to ignore the taste, and began to walk away.

“Aw, what now you’re gunna leave me too?” I almost forgot about Oli sitting behind me. I turned and looked at him. He had this weird pout look plastered on his face, only it wasn’t really pouting, more like jutting out his bottom lip. I eyed him oddly and walked back to where I had been standing.

“I mean, you can leave if you’d like, but just think, when the others left you I’m still ‘ere, aren’t I nice?” I could hear the friendly joking in his voice, it was slightly comforting. It wasn’t until I paid attention to his words that I noticed a very obvious accent. “I guess I could do all the talkin’ since you seem shy ‘n’ stuff. I mean look a ya, you’re just kinda starin’ at me. And really I’m not all that nice, maybe it’s this alcohol. Sorry, maybe I am a lil drunk and I just haven’t noticed yet.”

I stared at him very awkwardly. He shut his mouth, noticing his rambling, and scooted over on the large lawn chair.

“Have a seat, I promise I don’t bite… much.”