Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 21

“I know that I’ve been dancing around the truth,
Tell me what the hell I’m supposed to do,
I’m a little bit agitated,
With a slight scent of denial.”


“Oli where is my phone?” I mumbled, sitting up and looking for the small device playing the very familiar NeverShoutNever ring tone that I had. Oli shifted too, leaning off his side of the bed and throwing some clothes around before holding up my silver phone. I grabbed it and looked at the screen before tossing it back down on the floor; I really didn’t want to talk to my mom at 2 a.m.

“Well that was a bit pointless.” Oli commented and settled back into the mattress, patting the spot next to him. I moved back to the center of the bed and he pulled me closer, running his hands down my side gently.

Lowering his head slightly, he moved my hair back and attached his lips to my neck. I leaned into him, encouraging his actions by running my hands up his chest and to his neck, lightly pulling his body closer to mine. He kissed the same spot on my neck, nibbling and sucking away at my skin, no doubt leaving his mark.

Just as I began to enjoy this too much for my own good, my phone began going off again, this time playing my brothers ring tone. I started to move towards the edge of the bed but Oli stopped me, gently pinning me to the matress and removing his lips from my neck before reattaching them to my mouth.

My phone kept on ringing but my brain wasn’t processing that I was hearing it. Instead, all I could think about was Oli; his touch, his kisses, his body pressed tightly to mine. I knew I should answer my phone -I knew it could be important- but as of right now the only important thing is that Oliver keeps kissing me.

Melting together, Oli’s hands sneaked their way under my shirt and up my sides. I didn’t protest as his fingers edge around my back, lightly grazing over the fabric and clasp of my bra. He stopped kissing me for a moment, studying me for moment and looking for any signs of objection before hungrily pushing his lips back to mine and letting his fingers start to unhook my bra.

Again, the now annoying noise of my phone began to ring, filling the room with the annoying song lyrics of my dad’s ring tone. I knew things were bad now. Once all of them called, if I didn’t answer, I was in deep trouble.

With a sigh, I moved away from Oliver’s intoxicating grasp and leaned over the bed. I snatched my lit phone angrily and answered it, not bothering to hide my current annoyance. “Hello?”

“Isabel Marie Smith, where the fuck are you?” My father hissed into the phone. Using my full name plus cussing equals I’m in huge trouble. I just wanted to tell him I’m eighteen and that he shouldn’t worry, but that would result in him telling me if I was such an adult, I should get my own place.

My eyes pleaded with Oli, hoping he could think up a quick excuse for me while managing to not make background noise. Oli mouthed Tessa at me and motioned for me to talk into the phone.

“I’m at my friend Tessa’s, Dad.” I mumbled, trying to make myself sound tired like he’d woke me up. “I was like dead asleep. What do you need?”

My father sighed, his voice now sounding annoyed also. “James informed us that he hadn’t seen you in two days, your mom told me the same thing, in a worried frenzy, we called the police an hour and a half ago just to find out you’re staying at a friends house.”

Oli could hear the whole conversation, his face was close enough to mine, and the current look on his face was priceless. Half of him looked like he wanted to laugh, while the other side of him looked panicked because of my parents worry. He whispered a soft sorry in my ear as my dad talked in the background to my family.

His voice was directed back to me and he spoke, “Your mom is on the phone with the police now, they need you to come back to the house to clarify you’re actually fine.”

I told him I’d be there in a fifteen minutes and hung up, looking at Oli in annoyance. He, still hovering over me, buried his head in my neck, mumbling against my skin, “This fuckin’ sucks, I wanted ya all to myself and now ya got to ‘ead back to your house since your mum and dad called the authorities.”

“I know, you think I’m much happier about this? They don’t even notice me all yesterday so they call the police. This is going to give me a headache.” I mumbled, wiggling under him. “I have to get dressed. You want to give me a ride?”

He simply nodded and sat up, pulling on a shirt and sat on the edge of his bed, watching me as I changed shirts -I kept on his bottoms- and hunted around for my shoes. Once ready, I looked at him as he stood up, getting ready to take me home. Before we got in the car he pulled me into another kiss and smiled, letting me get into the car.

&&

Walking through my front door, I kicked off my shoes in the entry way and walked into the living room, my expression anything but happy. My parents looked up from the couch, a uniform officer sitting in front of them. I smiled politely, having nothing against the police.

“Isabel Smith?” The officer asked, I nodded and he smiled. “Well, now that this is cleared up, you guys have a good night, alright? Try to check in with your parents, it helps situations like this. Goodnight.”

He stood up, shaking hands with my parents and smiling at me before leaving the house. After the door shut, I looked at my parents, searching for answers from them. My mom was the first to speak, “Honey I’m sorry, I just got so worried.”

I nodded, not really believing her. She never got worried about things having to do with my health, but once I lay low for a day she calls the cops. Making my “sleepiness” more dramatic than I should have, I said goodnight to my parents and walked up the stairs, brushing off any words of their concern.

Up in the safety of my room, I shed my shirt and looked into my full length mirror with only Oli’s pajama bottoms and my bra on. My jaw dropped a bit, gaping at the purple and blue mark forming just a few inches above my bra line. I brought my fingers up and lightly touched the tender skin, mentally cursing Oli giving me a hickey; they were fun to get and a bitch to deal with.

Collapsing onto my bed after changing into pajamas, I realized how tired I was. I started to drift off to sleep, deciding that falling asleep with Oliver was much better than falling asleep alone.